Musician's Friend

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
2.5

Greg Trojan

A customer support company that helped me better understand proper salesmanship and customer support.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Draper, UT

I worked at Musician's Friend full-time for more than a year

Pros

The staff and personal are always friendly and help you better understand the inner workings of the company. The help you understand how to make sales pitches, company policy and even playing with some products. It was just an over all good environment when it come to Customer support. Thought I never had to use this offer, they are very willing to let you go on a tour leave with you band and come back to be rehired.

Cons

You do only get a small window frame to speak with the client and move forward in the call. You are somewhat on a commission incentive. Have a really low tolerance for attendance. Way too many products that you have to know about, there is no diversity among the agents on the floor. Be prepared to sell any instrument, regardless your experience.

Just maintain friendly work environment and patients with new personnel, and they will shine in the company. maybe some how narrow things down to people who know instruments, like from wood wind to guitars.

Great job in general

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Musician's Friend full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of great things here. Workers are treated well for a place that doesn't require a college degree. My coworkers are awesome and I've made some friends but get along well with pretty much everyone. We do activities like jam night, waffle day, stuff like that. Good (sometimes great) discounts, I've gained a ton of product knowledge, and I get to talk with people about music equipment all day (as a musician, what could beat that?)

Cons

Some of the management kind of sucks, some of them could give two shiz about employees. Scheduling is sometimes hard to deal with in getting days off in advance and things are a bit too beauracratic. Highest management is vague to lower management and encourages them to be secretive to employees. Policy is sometimes vague. Unethical employees that break policy are rewarded if they lie to customers to obtain sales. And departmental pay is too different for no reason (schools barely make more base pay and get no commission while sales can rake it in, CS is same, management can make barely more than some sales agents [I'm in sales so this is a totally non bias opinion]. "Very few sales associates have their commission docked, and that’s less about meeting a quota than it is about accountability for consistently meeting customer service standards." Quote from President Gene Joly. No employee has ever been docked for lax customer service, only sales. If your customer service is that bad, you will understandably be fired. But lying by management (or misinfo) is terrible.

Balance rewarding top sales with great CS, lower gaps between equal level departments, don't lie or be vague with employees because you don't want to tell them the truth.

Heartbreakingly sad, this company could be so much more than it is!

I worked at Musician's Friend full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of great people to work with and there's a jam room to play instruments on during breaks! Talking music all day and helping out musicians is really rewarding. Plus, if you're a musician, you get an awesome employee discount.

Cons

A good portion of the management is really great to work with, but some of the higher ups are horrible. I watched this company go from a wonderful place to work to a corporate scum hole that treated everyone like dirt. Great people were let go who should have been kept, and they stuck so much to their policies that they fired anyone and everyone who didn't fit in, including their top performers. After that happened, they really started to slide down hill and no one could understand why the numbers weren't lining up with their projections after they started firing people who put up numbers and were fabulous with the customers. They changed the pay structure so many times and the horribly scary part is that it's all done in Excel with a reporting machine they know cranks out false numbers all the time. In addition to that, as you go up in management, you're expected to stay later and dedicate more hours to the company. If your spouse doesn't understand why you have to take a call in the middle of the night and go into work to fix something, this isn't the company for you. There's also the wonderful expectation that you can only use your vacation and sick hours when the company doesn't have business needs. Of course the needs are always there so you can never go! I lost so many hours just because they couldn't justify their business needs with my needs to go see a doctor or to go on vacation. Probably just as well with the vacation hours since you're expected to be on call and answer your phone and email.

Fix the reporting system so you stop screwing around with people's paychecks and find someone in HR that realizes that hiring musicians rather than people getting their first job or who have bounced between call centers would be more beneficial to the customer and to lower level management who have to teach people what an instrument cable is.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cool people, boring place to work.

Former Employee - Assistant Inventory Planner  in  Medford, OR
    Former Employee - Assistant Inventory Planner in Medford, OR

I worked at Musician's Friend full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was hired during the transition when the corporate offices were moved from Medford, Oregon to Westlake Village, CA. Great fellow employees, liberal dress code. Receiving a discount on musical gear is nice if you buy it often.

Cons

Working for a online musical retailer is not very exciting. There were a lot of fellow musicians who worked there but the only one that could leverage their musical skill was the buyers. Long hours, repetitive work.

Once a great place to work.

Former Employee - Inventory Control (IRG)  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Inventory Control (IRG) in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Musician's Friend full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There are still some very cool associates to work with.

Cons

The upper management changed and I watched every good thing about this job get stripped away. I came into a great company full of management who had worked their way up. Now they have all been replaced, and internal advancement is hopeless. If you've been there more that a few years, you should start job hunting now because your head's on the chopping block. No matter how skilled your position is the people in control of your fate with the company think you can be replaced by anyone off the street and a few minutes of training.

You need to learn how important the IRG team is to the functioning of the warehouse.

Restricted

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Musician's Friend full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay for the work we do. Co-workers are great. Health insurance is pretty good. Dental and vision care are also good. Nice cafeteria area.

Cons

There are extensive rules for everything. The management treats the employees like kids. Any chance they get, they will cheat you out of paying for things. For example, will ask employees to leave early before a holiday, but won't pay holiday pay. Vacation accruement is poor. Point system for attendance is extremely rigid. Corporate in CA makes most decisions, so the communication is poor (because we are in KC). Black out period during peak season (winter), which means no one can request time off.

Trust your employees more. Respect your employees more. Don't be condescending. More flexibility for hours, vacation, unpaid time off, holidays, etc.

It's a job

I worked at Musician's Friend

Pros

Good deals on gear and decent benefits

Cons

you're just another cog in the machine to them

treat people like they should be

Great work environment

I have been working at Musician's Friend full-time for more than a year

Pros

laid back atmosphere, friendly employees, great bosses, fun activities, great giveaways! This place is really fun! They really know how to make the call center atmosphere fun! Benefits are great!

Cons

Call center atmosphere can be stressful at times, especially during peak season. The company does do what they can to show they appreciate all the hard work!

Love my job!

Current Employee - Team Leader  in  Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Draper, UT

I have been working at Musician's Friend full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people I work with make my job so worth it. Managing a team of associates on how to assist customer who call in to order music gear is so awesome! I have been here almost 5 years and it's been great!

Cons

There were a lot of problems for a long time but since October of 2013 Management has been changing things to finally benefit the employees. Hours of operation aren't as early or late as they used to be. The only thing that has been an issue is incentive. It's really hard to figure out how its paid or figured but as things go forward this year it looks like that is getting sorted out too!

Keep up with the recent changes!! This is such an amazing job/career for those of us in Salt Lake City! Mostly everyone loves music, plays music and is artistic. I feel excited again to work here and can't wait to see what else is in store for 2014!

It was a great company.

I worked at Musician's Friend full-time

Pros

Lax atmosphere, but focused on taking care of business.

Cons

The company was moved to California.

Worked for Musician's Friend? Contribute to the Community!