Musician's Friend

Updated November 1, 2014
Updated November 1, 2014
2.5

Greg Trojan

Pros
  • Lots of great people to work with and there's a jam room to play instruments on during breaks (in 6 reviews)

• The employee discount is the only thing (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management cares only for themselves and talent is interchangeable and unvalued (in 5 reviews)

• Black out period during peak season (winter), which means no one can request time off (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

CSR

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Musician's Friend full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked for MF for almost a year and loved coming to work everyday. Constant busy work and management was always around to help out. They understand that 95% of their staff are musicians so they were cool with bringing gear into the work place for gigs or practice later in the evening.

Cons

Sometimes you'll receive overflow calls from other departments and it can catch you off guard if your a guitarist and the customer needs a flute expert.

Keep it up.

Guitar Center/ Musician's Friend treats their employees as if they are not human

I have been working at Musician's Friend part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best and perk of the job is the discount that you get after a month. The co-workers tend to be nice people. How ever the management seem to not care about their employees as people.

Cons

Bad management, low moral, they look for any reason to reduce your raise, horrid attendance point system, and a bleak environment are just a few of many cons. If you are an actual musician this is the last place you want to work.

Learn to treat your employees like human beings and not as numbers

No respect for employees

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Draper, UT

I worked at Musician's Friend full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If your a Musician, you appreciate the atmosphere and the people you work with. The giveaways are nice if you play an instrument.

Cons

The company shows no care towards employees, "You are replaceable" should be on their application. I Worked there for 6 years earning top sales numbers and was treated the same, "You are replaceable". Another huge con, though the work requires knowledge in different music fields, the training is extremely weak, and the company throws their new employees under the bus by not providing the proper training to handle the customers you work with.

I would advise the management to show that you somewhat care about the employees. Especially to the ones that have been there a long period of time, and the ones that achieve high numbers, and show a passion for the job.

A customer support company that helped me better understand proper salesmanship and customer support.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Draper, UT

I worked at Musician's Friend full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The staff and personal are always friendly and help you better understand the inner workings of the company. The help you understand how to make sales pitches, company policy and even playing with some products. It was just an over all good environment when it come to Customer support. Thought I never had to use this offer, they are very willing to let you go on a tour leave with you band and come back to be rehired.

Cons

You do only get a small window frame to speak with the client and move forward in the call. You are somewhat on a commission incentive. Have a really low tolerance for attendance. Way too many products that you have to know about, there is no diversity among the agents on the floor. Be prepared to sell any instrument, regardless your experience.

Just maintain friendly work environment and patients with new personnel, and they will shine in the company. maybe some how narrow things down to people who know instruments, like from wood wind to guitars.

Great job in general

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Musician's Friend full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of great things here. Workers are treated well for a place that doesn't require a college degree. My coworkers are awesome and I've made some friends but get along well with pretty much everyone. We do activities like jam night, waffle day, stuff like that. Good (sometimes great) discounts, I've gained a ton of product knowledge, and I get to talk with people about music equipment all day (as a musician, what could beat that?)

Cons

Some of the management kind of sucks, some of them could give two shiz about employees. Scheduling is sometimes hard to deal with in getting days off in advance and things are a bit too beauracratic. Highest management is vague to lower management and encourages them to be secretive to employees. Policy is sometimes vague. Unethical employees that break policy are rewarded if they lie to customers to obtain sales. And departmental pay is too different for no reason (schools barely make more base pay and get no commission while sales can rake it in, CS is same, management can make barely more than some sales agents [I'm in sales so this is a totally non bias opinion]. "Very few sales associates have their commission docked, and that’s less about meeting a quota than it is about accountability for consistently meeting customer service standards." Quote from President Gene Joly. No employee has ever been docked for lax customer service, only sales. If your customer service is that bad, you will understandably be fired. But lying by management (or misinfo) is terrible.

Balance rewarding top sales with great CS, lower gaps between equal level departments, don't lie or be vague with employees because you don't want to tell them the truth.

Heartbreakingly sad, this company could be so much more than it is!

I worked at Musician's Friend full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of great people to work with and there's a jam room to play instruments on during breaks! Talking music all day and helping out musicians is really rewarding. Plus, if you're a musician, you get an awesome employee discount.

Cons

A good portion of the management is really great to work with, but some of the higher ups are horrible. I watched this company go from a wonderful place to work to a corporate scum hole that treated everyone like dirt. Great people were let go who should have been kept, and they stuck so much to their policies that they fired anyone and everyone who didn't fit in, including their top performers. After that happened, they really started to slide down hill and no one could understand why the numbers weren't lining up with their projections after they started firing people who put up numbers and were fabulous with the customers. They changed the pay structure so many times and the horribly scary part is that it's all done in Excel with a reporting machine they know cranks out false numbers all the time. In addition to that, as you go up in management, you're expected to stay later and dedicate more hours to the company. If your spouse doesn't understand why you have to take a call in the middle of the night and go into work to fix something, this isn't the company for you. There's also the wonderful expectation that you can only use your vacation and sick hours when the company doesn't have business needs. Of course the needs are always there so you can never go! I lost so many hours just because they couldn't justify their business needs with my needs to go see a doctor or to go on vacation. Probably just as well with the vacation hours since you're expected to be on call and answer your phone and email.

Fix the reporting system so you stop screwing around with people's paychecks and find someone in HR that realizes that hiring musicians rather than people getting their first job or who have bounced between call centers would be more beneficial to the customer and to lower level management who have to teach people what an instrument cable is.

Cool people, boring place to work.

Former Employee - Assistant Inventory Planner in Medford, OR
    Former Employee - Assistant Inventory Planner in Medford, OR

I worked at Musician's Friend full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was hired during the transition when the corporate offices were moved from Medford, Oregon to Westlake Village, CA. Great fellow employees, liberal dress code. Receiving a discount on musical gear is nice if you buy it often.

Cons

Working for a online musical retailer is not very exciting. There were a lot of fellow musicians who worked there but the only one that could leverage their musical skill was the buyers. Long hours, repetitive work.

Once a great place to work.

Former Employee - Inventory Control (IRG) in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Inventory Control (IRG) in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Musician's Friend full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are still some very cool associates to work with.

Cons

The upper management changed and I watched every good thing about this job get stripped away. I came into a great company full of management who had worked their way up. Now they have all been replaced, and internal advancement is hopeless. If you've been there more that a few years, you should start job hunting now because your head's on the chopping block. No matter how skilled your position is the people in control of your fate with the company think you can be replaced by anyone off the street and a few minutes of training.

You need to learn how important the IRG team is to the functioning of the warehouse.

Restricted

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Musician's Friend full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay for the work we do. Co-workers are great. Health insurance is pretty good. Dental and vision care are also good. Nice cafeteria area.

Cons

There are extensive rules for everything. The management treats the employees like kids. Any chance they get, they will cheat you out of paying for things. For example, will ask employees to leave early before a holiday, but won't pay holiday pay. Vacation accruement is poor. Point system for attendance is extremely rigid. Corporate in CA makes most decisions, so the communication is poor (because we are in KC). Black out period during peak season (winter), which means no one can request time off.

Trust your employees more. Respect your employees more. Don't be condescending. More flexibility for hours, vacation, unpaid time off, holidays, etc.

It's a job

I worked at Musician's Friend

Pros

Good deals on gear and decent benefits

Cons

you're just another cog in the machine to them

treat people like they should be