Musicians Institute Reviews

2.5
CEO

1. A lot of great people but poor management

I have been working at Musicians Institute

Pros

Great co-workers that I love working with
    Flexible hours
    Security stationed by every entrance

Cons

Poor management
    Low hourly rate, at least for TAs

Advice to Management

Think about your staff, stop being greedy

2. In general, a great team of people trying to do their best for the students.

I worked at Musicians Institute part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people are amazingly passionate about music and the students. The company has a non-corporate, family-owned business feel. The students are amazingly creative and inspirational.

Cons

Below-market wages. No cost of living/merit-based wage increases. Frequent managerial staff changes.

Advice to Management

Review wages. Weed out the bad employees. Hire some killer people in management.

3. Great school, chaotic management

I worked at Musicians Institute

Pros

Musicians Institute is the ideal college for study of contemporary music. Their specialized training in the heart of the entertainment industry has helped many graduates succeed. The programs are extensive and career-oriented. Great teaching staff and visiting faculty.

Cons

Management is ever-changing and goals set for Admissions department are unrealistic. Top management constantly "rocking the boat". New management came in 2012 that drastically downsized staff; many of which were dedicated, hard-working people who had worked for the school for many years. This resulted in a downward spiral in terms of number of students and overall employee morale.

Advice to Management

I have no advice personally since I am not currently employed there.

5. Shibuya-san needs a reality check

I worked at Musicians Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Teachers are wonderful, majority of the people in the administration are (were) excellent, but the senior management is ultimately broken.

Cons

This company has no organized leadership or direction.

Advice to Management

Sell to Full Sail.

6. Musicians Institute

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Musicians Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved being around music all day, as well as being around the students since they, too share my love of music. It's an "electric" feel, being around such creativity and talent.

Cons

Upper management does not care one bit about the students. They only care about making money, and often lie and put students through traumatic admissions processes to get them enrolled.

Advice to Management

They need to be more up front with prospective students and tell them right off the bat that if they do not have a LOT of money, or are unable or unwilling to be indebted for the rest of their lives, they cannot afford to attend this school.

Doesn't respect or appreciate employees

Current Employee - Manager in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at Musicians Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent programs, great faculty, and great students.

Cons

No raises, no bonus, workload triples yearly, management is not encouraging of employee accomplishments.

Advice to Management

Keep and reward employees with skill and knowledge.

8. Was a great place to work....suffered a period of darkness....and is great again....for now.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Musicians Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Co-workers, competitive pay, good benefits and not a stressful environment. Management is currently (as of 2013) great again (see below). I would recommend this company to other people for employment. It is a fun and very exciting place to work.

Cons

During Nov 2012-September 2013 there was an upper management change. The company brought in someone to run the entire college. Unfortunately, he had zero prior educational experience but for some unknown reason was put in charge of an entire college. Naturally, disaster ensued, enrollment plummeted, and dozens of people had to be laid off. All mainly due to his impulsive and incompetent nature. Simply put, he thought he knew better than everyone else around him and held grudges to anyone challenging him. In short, it was a hostile work environment.

Sadly, he then was FIRED himself for a major HR violation (this was inevitable and merely a matter of time). It is unfortunate though so many had to lose their jobs during his reign of incompetence. On a positive note, many of the people he laid off were then re-hired (as they should have been) correcting some of the mistakes he made.

Advice to Management

Don't bring in unqualified people to run an entire college. You lose great teachers, staff, and students alike.

Admissions as a musician

Former Employee - Admissions in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Admissions in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Musicians Institute

Pros

Great environment for musicians if you can balance the work life with personal life

Cons

Upper management not always supportive

Advice to Management

Listen to employee feedback more often

10. fine

Current Employee - Music Teacher in Mumbai (India)
    Current Employee - Music Teacher in Mumbai (India)

I have been working at Musicians Institute

Pros

to teach music to children and make them ready to be compitative in the future fast moving world and be a bright star.

Cons

its good to be in a music institute because we get to know more teachers get oppurtunities go mix with others who are in d field of music.

Advice to Management

we as teachers should be ready to b flexible as and when required and to teach a chid we should think like a child.

RSS Feed </> Embed