Muskegon County, MI

Updated September 14, 2014
Updated September 14, 2014
1.6

CEO

Experience is necessary if you want to succeed in GIS at Muskegon County Equalization Department

Current Employee - GIS Technician in Muskegon, MI
    Current Employee - GIS Technician in Muskegon, MI

I have been working at Muskegon County, MI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many challenges from employer (management), employees (assessors) as well as other county department needs (that is, prosecutor, public health, public works, drain commission, information systems, clerk's office, county administrator...and many more).

Cons

See above...mainly, there are too many requirements for one, or even two, people to keep up with...would be nice to expand the GIS capability within the county...presently, it's only a pipe dream years away.

Find (make) revenue available to expand the county's GIS capabilities to all departments needing it...many, if not all, will benefit.

Public Health

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Muskegon, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Muskegon, MI

I have been working at Muskegon County, MI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, helping people in need in the public sector.

Cons

Very micro managed, low pay, poor managaement. Poor employee moral. Very political. We are told that we can be replaced with anyone off the streets, our job is not important and the only reason we are employed is because our program is required by the State. We are so micro managed that we have to prepare paperwork that takes almost more time than the job takes, all equipment and computer software programs very outdated, no vechicles for doing our job, we have to use our own vechicles to travel for the County to do our job, then fill out mileage forms that are so detailed we must enter every minute of our day every day. This is only one part of the paperwork, other counties do not have to prepare any of the mileage forms like we do. After preparing the forms we must wait at least two weeks to get our money back.

Respect your employees, let them know that you appreciate them, have better trust in all of your employees, do not micro-manage them, use the same rules for everyone, stop being so political. Simplify your paperwork and have more trust in your employees!

Community Mental Health of Muskegon County is a toxic work environment!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Muskegon, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Muskegon, MI

I worked at Muskegon County, MI full-time

Pros

Honestly, I can not give one positive reason for working here.

Cons

No support from management. Bullying. Play favorites. Hierarchical. No positive communication. No chance to advance or contribute strengths. Collaboration between coworkers not allowed. Secretive. untrustworthy. Any personal information given to supervisors is used against you. Negative. Unhappy. "The Good Old Boys Club" alive and well here.

Believe in the people you hire. Look for the good in people and give them a chance to contribute there strengths. Support them in BOTH their professional & personal growth. Be respectful. Open yourselves to honest round table communication. Teach your followers to be leaders, Smile more. Enjoy ALL the people you work with. Support not suppress. Understand not judge. Lift up not push down.