Mutual Mobile Reviews

Easy to grow

Current Employee - Designer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Designer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Mutual Mobile full-time for more than a year

Pros

We have the freedom to point clients in the right direction, challenging their design expectations, and do it based on what the end user actually cares about. The process is similar to an ad agency, but I have the ability to push the envelope much further, since there are developers who can deliver on whatever we ask them to.

I have direct access to the client, so there's little nonsense between me and what I want to accomplish for a particular product. I also get plenty of opportunities to grow my career, since it is easy to get exposed to a variety of industries and projects.

Cons

Creative leadership is not checked in. We need a strong leader, which every other department except design seems to have.

Hire an ECD and do it fast.

Laid back culture

Current Employee - Operations  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Operations in Austin, TX

I have been working at Mutual Mobile full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a cool company with a killer team. I work with some of the most brilliant people in Austin and everyone is really friendly.

This isn't a 9-5 gig; as long as you get your work done, it's all good. There are lots of fun events, like the hackathons and happy hours.

Cons

The office remodel is distracting, since we have to be in the office while it is happening. But once it's done, it sounds like it's going to be awesome.

Crap

Former Employee - Designer  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Designer in Austin, TX

I worked at Mutual Mobile full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you want to work with a bunch of slackers, this place is for you.

Cons

Low pay.
    High stress.
    Owners think they are god's gift to the world.

Sell the company to someone who cares.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Will they survive .... ?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Mutual Mobile full-time

Pros

Energetic ... "Had" driven engineers but now have lost most of them ...

Free downtown parking drinks in house 24x7

Good firm for making shiny brochures ...

Cons

Sweat shop ... Sprints to craziness ... drive engineers and QA to work 80 hours a week

And folks on bench are not expected to chip in ... Day to day activities driven by Founders as a divide company ...

Bad firm to develop long lasting software ...

Grow up and act mature ... be mature

Deep down ... Trust your guts - dont let people who do not understand engineering ... drive engineering projects

Turning a new leaf

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Mutual Mobile full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Finally some new focus with the leadership of the department. Working on interesting products for our clients, and our clients challenge us to push further. The developers are incredible and doing breakthrough development on the latest mobile fronts, like wearables.

Client work has been challenging, because you get to see a variety of industries and they use different types of project management methodologies. But it's a great learning experience and definitely has made me much more well-rounded.

Cons

The negative influence from past leadership does still linger, but at least those people are no longer working here.

Make sure you don't lose the culture and focus on more great clients that will bring us interesting projects.

Slash and Burn creates lots of spin offs in Austin !

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Mutual Mobile full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Pay is ok
    * Goodies like Table Tennis, Beer Keg, Drinks, and Munchies
    * There are a few great people - have to search for them

Cons

* If a project goes bad, they fire the whole team
    * No coaching skills - if someone does not behave, they get fired
    * Management is very poor (see below)
    * Many of the best people have left to join other companies or start their own

Investors should replace the top layer of management (T&M) - reputation in Austin about MM is getting quite bad and the ability to recruit new people is going to decline, unless you deal with this.

Working on interesting things

Current Employee - Developer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Mutual Mobile full-time for more than a year

Pros

Things seem to be getting better, after a period of rough waters. They are remodeling the office space, so everyone is back in a common space and it's been a good thing to be surrounded by the inspirational people that first attracted me to work here. The management team that seemed to be causing most of the waves is gone or minimized, and my friends and I are able to refocus on doing cool things again.

The executive team is starting to get their act together, showing some actual leadership. We aren't a small startup that they sold us on for so many years, so the things that matter have changed.

Also, free beer. So there's that.

Cons

Things change a lot and you have to be prepared for that. There are still some outstanding issues with performance reviews.

Focus on growing the business and making things that should be stable more stable (like salary reviews, career advancement, etc).

A bit disorganized

I have been working at Mutual Mobile full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ability to make your own hours.
    Nice office downtown.
    Unlimited snacks and drinks

Cons

A lot of childish behavior by the cofounders.
    Poor company communications.
    Poor Leadership.
    The good ole boys club gets it's way regardless of work performance.

Work on cutting out the favoritism and actually recognizing those who are doing the heavy lifting. Be open to new ideas. The new CFO could make a big difference if he isn't pushed to the side by the other cofounders.

Fun, young, empowering

I have been working at Mutual Mobile full-time

Pros

Super fun, flexible atmosphere and office environment. Everyone is really supportive of one another, I've made some great friends and developed good networks. You work among some of the coolest, most innovative people in the industry. Managers & executives really empower you to innovate, explore passions and side projects, though I do wish there was more time for this. Operations really works to create an enjoyable physical environment with awesome amenities and perks. Pretty young, fun -- you don't find many places like this one. I know we're spoiled and it's awesome. Can't think of anything better. Promising outlook with some awesome, big-name projects.

Cons

As someone else said, there are some office politics but that's pretty typical. As long as you are a hard worker and team player then you're fine.
    People at every level are still learning, which can make way for lots of changes and exploration of office needs/culture development, but it's always in best interest of the employees and company as a whole. People definitely mean well. This isn't really a con, just something to keep in mind if you don't like fluctuations in company identity and taking the process of figuring it out as we go along. On the plus side, this makes for a very organic environment.

[ Pain ] & [ Gain Experience ]

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Mutual Mobile full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you have experience, you will have the opportunity to get a lot more experience babysitting (lending a hand) the Jr. Team. This is a definite pro if you want to expand your horizons. This was the best part.

Cons

Sweat shop mentality. No focus, chasing the next shiny penny ONLY.

Grab the reigns, lead with clarity and conviction. Stick to your word. Stand behind the decisions of your trusted employees. Quit with the scapegoat, and under the bus tossing.

Worked for Mutual Mobile? Contribute to the Community!