Mutual of Omaha Reviews

Reset
3.1
Mutual of Omaha Chairman of the Board & CEO Dan Neary
Dan Neary

Pros
  • Work/Life balance was pretty amazing (in 7 reviews)

• Great office culture that allowed for strong professional development (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Good ole boy attitude within the upper management (in 6 reviews)

• No flex hours and work from home options (in 3 reviews)

1. Great Company

Current Employee - Senior Sales Assistant in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Assistant in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Mutual of Omaha (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fast-paced, relaxed environment, great company focus

Cons

None that I can think of at this time

Behind the times for a Fortune 500 company

I have been working at Mutual of Omaha

Pros

Standard benefits, pay is good for industry

Cons

This company seriously needs to get rid of it's old folks and put in some younger faces with more technological expertise. Everyone in my department was over the age of 60, had been working there for 30+ years, and were very resentful about letting a younger person have a voice on projects (despite the fact that they hired me to do just that). My ideas were shot down constantly and thereafter I was chided for not "taking initiative and getting involved." A sense of humor is not welcomed in many departments of this company (and I worked with many different departments in my position). Walking through the halls during lunch, during breaks, and arriving and leaving the building, I could see that the majority of employees passing by were in their 50's and 60's. I stuck out like a sore thumb for being in my late 20's, that's for sure. That kind of reflects the company as a whole. The computer software and equipment was old, the building itself is old and very sterile looking inside and out, and the business processes and practices within my department were behind the times. My supervisor thought she was so forward-thinking and up to date with the latest innovations just because she knew how to use the snipping tool in Adobe Acrobat, for example.

Advice to Management

Get with the times. You've been hiring mostly people within a tight-knit network (which seems to be Catholics from Omaha), but a great deal of them do not have the current skills and knowledge needed to uphold business. Unless you can change this and start hiring real talent, Mutual of Omaha will begin slipping in the competitive market.

Change Is Good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Mutual of Omaha full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Mutual overall corporate tries to allow their employees room to grow and succeed. They are working towards making it a more technologically savvy company. Benefits are average and compensation is average as well.

Cons

Downsides are that they are slow to change. There is too much red tape involved in doing anything new (partly gov't regs). You have a lot of long time vested employees, and that is great, but some of them are stuck so to speak.

Advice to Management

Make a concerted effort to work together as a company and not as separate entities within the company.

Great company

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Mutual of Omaha

Pros

Great company, solid values. Admired in the industry and making some strides toward modernization. Very positive outlook for the future.

Cons

Way behind the times in terms of technology. Efforts to update are stilted and haphazard. Strong customer focus, but very corporate feel for associates.

Advice to Management

Don't expect that all associates will take initiative to develop themselves. Help associates learn the business and culture and be willing to take a fresh perspective.

6. Life Express Underwriter

Current Contractor - Underwriter in Omaha, NE
    Current Contractor - Underwriter in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Mutual of Omaha as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture has definitely changed since I last worked here in 2009. The supervisor in Life Express is extremely nice and helpful.

Cons

As an agency temp to hire associate, I wish there could be more rolling over to full time associates. After speaking to a couple other workers, they haven't had any full time rollovers in about a year. The training for Life Express is done by senior processors and isn't very consistent. I'm more of a big picture learner and I want to know why we do something a certain way, but we've pretty much been taught the technical aspect of what we do, not the why. Once you are out of training, you don't really have any resources because the trainers are back to doing their own work and get bothered if you have questions. The team is huge. I've been here for 2 months and we have had 2 team meetings. Most of the other team members didn't know the new hires were on the team...after having been on the floor with them for quite a while. It was kind of disconnecting.

Advice to Management

Designate a training team. Or specific workers as a help desk. And maybe have a schedule of when to ask questions or who to ask them too. Also, make the guidelines more consistent. Some are step by step, others are extremely broad with a lot of grey area.

IS

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at Mutual of Omaha

Pros

Flexible start time. This really helps as parking is a nightmare. As a contractor Mutual of Omaha does not provide parking and you are left to fend for yourself

Cons

I have never worked for a company who actively tried to make money off their employees daily needs.

Advice to Management

Concentrat on retaining talent. You do not need to gouge employees for parking, food, drinks. Most companies offer free coffee.

insurance customer service

I have been working at Mutual of Omaha

Pros

Bonuses based off performance/depending on how well you do

Cons

Communication, Doesn't have flexible schedules

Advice to Management

Don't talk good about the company and get people excited and then turn around and not follow through with your word. Give information upfront so people don't have surprises when it comes to work

Great place to work

I have been working at Mutual of Omaha

Pros

Great people culture that is evident through long tenured employees, solid benefits, great offerings at location like wellness, eateries, gym, nails, hair salon, etc. Most of all, I find that you feel like the company cares about its people and cultivates a culture of love.

Cons

None are evident for me.

Advice to Management

Keep up the focus on your people.

agent

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Mutual of Omaha

Pros

Good benefits if meeting goals

Cons

Strictly commissioned makes it very tough when starting out , how are you to achieve when training and no monies coming in

Advice to Management

Maybe if you concentrate on compensating the new trainees that come on, it might be possible that they may stick around

11. admin assistant

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Omaha, NE

I worked at Mutual of Omaha

Pros

good benefits, good people, good city to live in, updated building and facilities, salary was average, every office will vary but I did like most of the people working there

Cons

no career path, some people liked it but I was disappointed, sometimes the atmosphere was not a great place to work in but that can happen in any corporate setting

Advice to Management

I guess people can always improve but stress at work can blind certain managers to troubles in the workplace. Technology updates will probably always be something that can be improved at insurance companies

RSS Feed </> Embed