Mutual of Omaha

www.mutualofomaha.com

Mutual of Omaha Reviews in Omaha, NE

Updated Jul 12, 2014
Mutual of Omaha – Omaha – “Mutual of Omaha”

Mutual of Omaha Chairman of the Board & CEO Dan Neary

Dan Neary

Pros
  • Work/Life balance was pretty amazing(in 6 reviews)

• Great place to work for Management very understanding and encourages growth(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • As a representative you are a contract employee so no benefits(in 5 reviews)

• 20 years behind the times in employee benefit package, which is skimpy relative to other insurers(in 3 reviews)

46 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company to Work For!

Manager (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsWell established, mature company! The company's culture is shifting to one focused on work-life balance, operational excellence, and more processes that support a culture of learning which is helping to make a greater impact to results. Due to the size of the company, you can move around to get exposure to various steps within the value chain, or stay on an area and gain the knowledge and experience to become an expert in your field. Managers are shifting from a command and control mentality to a servant leadership mentality which is helping attract talent and increasing innovation amongst employees.

ConsThey could do a better job with employee retention if the pay was more competitive. The pay scales are set up to be competitive but managers typically hire you in the lower end of the scale, which is not very competitive with the market. Out of pocket costs for health insurance and insurance premiums are too high.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue creating a servant leadership culture that supports learning! Associates are more likely to take the risks needed to achieve better results when they work this type of culture. Find a way to increase the starting salary for positions you fill so you aren't losing good people because of pay.

Stable, challenging and exciting.

Information Systems (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsThe company is embracing process improvement and operational excellence as a way of doing business everyday! Lots of change happening, which creates great opportunities to add value.

ConsSometimes it feels like change can take longer than needed, however, this dynamic is quickly fading!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the communication flowing. Our associates are engaged and really appreciate being a part of the good things happening at Mutual. We have a great company and we need to spread the word even more!

Great Company with Good People

Director (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsFun and supportive environment, filled with great people who want to do the right thing for policy holders and the people who work at the company.

ConsSlow to change practices and approaches to solving problems, conservative approach to change can be a little frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementModernize your management practices, but don't lose the culture of caring that exists.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company -Family atmosphere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsHome office is a great place to work. Nice people in a great office building in the heart of the city. Everyone is very respectful and interactions between departments are courteous. The upper management really cares about their employee's and their families well being.

ConsNone that I can think of at the moment.

Horrible place to work

Claim Process Analyst (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsWorking independently without supervision. No distraction. You are your own motivation and distraction, it's a choice.

ConsManager out of touch with reality and 21st century workplace; he is not abreast of how to keep committed workers. He fires a worker at the very flimsy excuse he can lay his hands on. Huge employee turnover. Bad bad bad sign.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep yourself up to speed with times. Take courses on how to manage people. Being a manager is not about hiring today and firing tomorrow. GROW UP!!!

Bottom line rather than the people

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsIf you don't mind trading your values for a paycheck. It's who you know than what you know and your skills. You get to Jan how insurance really works.

ConsMake promises they never intend to keep. No regard for your personal skills and talents of you're an independent thinker. They only want 'yes' people who have no issues with selling out their own colleagues.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice. Mgmt keeps an eye on your own.

Great company, stable, relaxed environment

Senior Underwriter (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsOpen door policy, lots of opportunities to grow in different areas.

ConsTraining and materials are not the greatest for new employee entering the insurance industry.

Stable company

Manager (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsMutual of Omaha has a clear direction, develops products and services of value for its customers, and sells them at a reasonable price.

ConsNo onsite fitness center, no jeans Monday - Thursday, no health savings account, and compensation and benefits seem a little under par compared to other Fortune 500's in town

Its Ok.

Senior Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsGood people. Good working place.

ConsNo growth oppurtunities after certain level.Lower salries.

Large work environment with excellent brand recognition, work/life balance, and culture

Information Technology Intern (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsMany are associates are older, creating opportunities for advancement into senior roles in the next 5-10 years.
    Omaha is great, but Midtown Crossing - where Mutual of Omaha is located - is even better.

ConsCompensation and benefits leave a little more to be desired.
    Slow adaptation of advancements in technology.

Worked for Mutual of Omaha? Contribute to the Community!