Mutual of Omaha

www.mutualofomaha.com

Mutual of Omaha Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014
Mutual of Omaha – Omaha – “Mutual of Omaha”

Mutual of Omaha Chairman of the Board & CEO Dan Neary

Dan Neary

Pros
  • Work/Life balance was pretty amazing(in 6 reviews)

• Great place to work for Management very understanding and encourages growth(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • As a representative you are a contract employee so no benefits(in 5 reviews)

• 20 years behind the times in employee benefit package, which is skimpy relative to other insurers(in 3 reviews)

A Great Place to Work

Insurance Agent (Current Employee) Spokane, WA

ProsI have enjoyed my time with the Spokane Office of Mutual of Omaha. The managers are great, they genuinely care about my success. The administrative staff is incredibly supportive and helpful. The company has great products to offer their clients and again, genuinely care about their customers. There were a few unahppy agents with us for a short time, and I understand they have a right to their opinions, but I completely disagree with the recent reviews posted on this site.

ConsThis is definitely a difficult job. You have to be willing to work hard. But, if you are, there are so many opportunities open to you, it is absolutely worth the hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing and be protective of the culture in the office.

Great Company to Work For!

Manager (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsWell established, mature company! The company's culture is shifting to one focused on work-life balance, operational excellence, and more processes that support a culture of learning which is helping to make a greater impact to results. Due to the size of the company, you can move around to get exposure to various steps within the value chain, or stay on an area and gain the knowledge and experience to become an expert in your field. Managers are shifting from a command and control mentality to a servant leadership mentality which is helping attract talent and increasing innovation amongst employees.

ConsThey could do a better job with employee retention if the pay was more competitive. The pay scales are set up to be competitive but managers typically hire you in the lower end of the scale, which is not very competitive with the market. Out of pocket costs for health insurance and insurance premiums are too high.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue creating a servant leadership culture that supports learning! Associates are more likely to take the risks needed to achieve better results when they work this type of culture. Find a way to increase the starting salary for positions you fill so you aren't losing good people because of pay.

Stable, challenging and exciting.

Information Systems (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsThe company is embracing process improvement and operational excellence as a way of doing business everyday! Lots of change happening, which creates great opportunities to add value.

ConsSometimes it feels like change can take longer than needed, however, this dynamic is quickly fading!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the communication flowing. Our associates are engaged and really appreciate being a part of the good things happening at Mutual. We have a great company and we need to spread the word even more!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company with Good People

Director (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsFun and supportive environment, filled with great people who want to do the right thing for policy holders and the people who work at the company.

ConsSlow to change practices and approaches to solving problems, conservative approach to change can be a little frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementModernize your management practices, but don't lose the culture of caring that exists.

Ok company to work for.

Licensed Sales Agent (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsFlexible balance between family and work life.

ConsTakes forever to receive commission. Training could be better. It's a sales rep mill. As fast as people come in, others are leaving.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer a base salary for people in ISM or a 401 k plan. People have to live still while building a book of business.

Great company -Family atmosphere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsHome office is a great place to work. Nice people in a great office building in the heart of the city. Everyone is very respectful and interactions between departments are courteous. The upper management really cares about their employee's and their families well being.

ConsNone that I can think of at the moment.

Horrible place to work

Claim Process Analyst (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsWorking independently without supervision. No distraction. You are your own motivation and distraction, it's a choice.

ConsManager out of touch with reality and 21st century workplace; he is not abreast of how to keep committed workers. He fires a worker at the very flimsy excuse he can lay his hands on. Huge employee turnover. Bad bad bad sign.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep yourself up to speed with times. Take courses on how to manage people. Being a manager is not about hiring today and firing tomorrow. GROW UP!!!

Agent Recruiting Mill

Career Agent (Current Employee) Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA

ProsMulti lines to sell and service

ConsYou never own your biz even though represented as such

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend 80% of your time on the your top 20% producing agents and everything will be great! Oh... I forgot, the biz model is recruit recruit recruit... Agents don't make it but the policies they wrote along with renewals go into managements pocket. Awesome!

Not an easy job

ProsThey do pay you well if you bring in business. Territory managers are helpful.

ConsThey do not teach you how to network well.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeach employees how to get out and develop business more.

Mutual Of Omaha's business model for their "Career Agents" is a scam.

Career Agent (Current Employee) Spokane, WA

ProsI went to Mutual because their name. People know the name and believe that they are a good company. The commission was fair and I had no issues with that. I was able to live a decent life and felt good about where my income was headed. Their products are good and seem to be priced right in the middle.

ConsI learned a hard lesson through my experience with Mutual. When I was interviewed with Mutual I was told that I would be a 1099 contracted agent and would be building my own business. After I proved myself and they wanted to contract me, My GM took me out to lunch where he had me sign my contract in a restaurant. Only the signature page of the contract was there and I never had an opportunity to read it. This was my lesson that I learned the hard way. The contract was never given to me. I went on to build a big book over the next 4 years and made Presidents club every year and qualified for Million Dollar Round Table. Long story short, there was several agents in our office that had all been sold the career the same way I had, that had not received their contracts. We started to hear things at training events from past agents and people in the industry that got us asking questions. We found out that as a "Career Agent" our renewals and commissions are never vested, our book doesn't belong to us, If we get hurt and can't produce for a period of time we loose our renewals, and if we die nothing goes to our beneficiary. The contract states that Mutual Of Omaha only pay renewal commission and balance first year commission while this contract is active. It states that they can terminate your contract at any time "WITH OR WITHOUT CAUSE" and if that happens you loose everything. None of this was every said to me, or any other agents in the office. Mutual has an amendment to the Career agent contract called the Producer contract that agents could switch to that would make my contract a little closer to what they had sold to me. I asked to be put on this other contract and they said it was not available to me. Mutual Of Omaha wants you to leave because they Benefit from you leaving. They no longer have to pay your residuals. Four of us agents wrote a letter to Dan Neary ( CEO ) to explain that we were intentionally mislead and deceived by our district office and they did an investigation that turned out to be a complete "SHAM". They offered nothing to make it right. This clearly shows that this was coming from the top. Mutual Of Omaha's Agent contract is a scam because they get you in by telling you half truths, have you produce, then spit you out and they gain financially because they stop paying commissions. You are the looser. I wondered when I first started, why there was not any old grey haired guys in the office. There is several people that experienced the same thing. Not just one guy that MISUNDERSTOOD. Stay far from this company. I would recommend going independent so you can truly build a future for your family and not be at the mercy of a company that is clearly preying on the little guy.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be in your best interest to go back to the basics. A company that lacks honesty and integrity will struggle. I will be your biggest advertiser. You waisted 4 years of my life and deeply effected my family. I learned to never believe what you are told and always read (in this case demand a copy of the contract) before signing. This is shameful and disgusting how Mutual is doing business. All I asked Mutual to do is honor what they had told me. Very Shameful. Shame on you MR. NEARY !!!!!!

Worked for Mutual of Omaha? Contribute to the Community!