Mutual of Omaha Reviews

Updated April 8, 2015
171 reviews filtered by
Mutual of Omaha Chairman of the Board & CEO Dan Neary
Dan Neary

Pros
  • Work/Life balance was pretty amazing (in 7 reviews)

• Great office culture that allowed for strong professional development (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Good ole boy attitude within the upper management (in 6 reviews)

• As a representative you are a contract employee so no benefits (in 5 reviews)

1. Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Mutual of Omaha

Pros

Great people culture that is evident through long tenured employees, solid benefits, great offerings at location like wellness, eateries, gym, nails, hair salon, etc. Most of all, I find that you feel like the company cares about its people and cultivates a culture of love.

Cons

None are evident for me.

Advice to Management

Keep up the focus on your people.

2. agent

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Mutual of Omaha

Pros

Good benefits if meeting goals

Cons

Strictly commissioned makes it very tough when starting out , how are you to achieve when training and no monies coming in

Advice to Management

Maybe if you concentrate on compensating the new trainees that come on, it might be possible that they may stick around

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Mutual of Omaha

Pros

The time-off policies are great. The overall culture of the office is terrific.

Cons

Commission base - You have to come up with a marketing routine that works. In general people are flakey when it comes to calling back, holding their appointments, and understanding the consequences if they don't have a solid financial plan.

Advice to Management

Have a book of business that new agents can work. This would ensure some type of income while starting out.

5. A Independent Agent at MOO....

I have been working at Mutual of Omaha

Pros

This is a non-captive company, so you are not stuck to only selling Mutual of Omaha's products. The commission and bonuses are high the first year if you continue to meet standards. The employee's and other agents were nice. You are an Independent agent and can make you own schedule.

Cons

It is very difficult to sell life insurance to people. You are constantly chasing the next sale, and you have to have thick skin to handle rejections. People only want life insurance until they need it, and more often then not, the company will decline them insurance because of prior medical history. It's how the insurance game works and it is very hard to succeed in it.
    This is solely my experience in our district office, but the turn over rate is so high that no one knows what they are doing except for the people who have been around for years, and there were very few. My mentor was very cocky and said he has been at MOO for many years, but had only been there one year, and caused me to ruin plans, do things wrong, and having to learn by myself when I was new in the industry. The mentor they picked was horrible given that he was also very sexist and went on many power trips if you disagreed with him on anything. Said terrible jokes that was very unprofessional, etc.... Note this was a personal issue and not every office is like mine, so this shouldn't factor your decision to work for MOO.
    I have been there for 5 months and looking for a new job. What this job did was prepare me for other careers because of the work experience that looks great on a resume.
    Insurance is a dog eat dog world because they are a dime a dozen.

Advice to Management

Strongly interview and test candidate's character and knowledge of the company before you place them as mentors or other management positions. That is what mainly ruined my experience at MOO is the lack of helpful guidance and knowledge the DSM (Mentor) actually knew about the company and selling products.

Demanding, unrealistic, and has new agents pinching every last penny just to get by

I worked at Mutual of Omaha

Pros

The bonuses when hit are pretty nice and they'll hire just about anyone who has a sales drive.

Cons

The manager is consistently exaggerating how easy it is to drum up business (that's why he abandoned a sales position and is in management, right?) and flat out lied about the number of available leads in my area. There were no warm leads, just non-responders that had been contacted twice already. The job is completely commissioned and is extremely hard for anyone starting out, as you have to hit a threshold to get contracted and your first paycheck. My sales manager demanded more, but never provided realistic means or training to obtain his goals. The worst and most unreasonable aspect was that I was expected to be in the office twice a week (over two hours away) and schedule sales around sitting in a cubicle. As you are independently contracted and not an employee, this does not make sense and hinders your ability to make money on only three of the remaining week days. This actually drove me away from wanting to grow and develop a career with the company and led to me seeking employment elsewhere.

Advice to Management

If you are going to hire agents as independently contracted salesmen and not provide benefits, then remind sales managers that they are not employees and cannot be treated as such. This is probably why over six agents quit in the year I worked for them.

Declining agency system and bad place for agents

Former Employee - Advisor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Advisor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Mutual of Omaha

Pros

You don't have to punch a clock. The people that work in the broker dealer are great to work with. Open architecture on their investment platform.

Cons

Leadership doesn't know how to lead. Recruiting any person that can breath into career with no training, no benefits and they tell you that you are a business owner. You never own the business the company does. 95% of all their agents fail.

Advice to Management

Get new leadership in that cares about their people. Move all agents to the brokerage side of the company. It's run way better than the career side for agents.

8. admin assistant

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Omaha, NE

I worked at Mutual of Omaha

Pros

good benefits, good people, good city to live in, updated building and facilities, salary was average, every office will vary but I did like most of the people working there

Cons

no career path, some people liked it but I was disappointed, sometimes the atmosphere was not a great place to work in but that can happen in any corporate setting

Advice to Management

I guess people can always improve but stress at work can blind certain managers to troubles in the workplace. Technology updates will probably always be something that can be improved at insurance companies

9. My Department doesn't care about employee moral anymore

I worked at Mutual of Omaha

Pros

food days all the time

Cons

they don't have enough follow up training for those struggling to meet their goals

10. Great first corporate internship experience at sales office.

Former Intern - Marketing Intern
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern

I worked at Mutual of Omaha as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The hours were flexible enough to fit around my school schedule. The people were friendly, and the overall experience was positive.

Cons

The internship was unfocused, and there didn't seem to be a development plan in place. Compensation was lower than average for an internship.

11. not easy

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Mutual of Omaha full-time (less than a year)

Pros

nice working environment, co-workers are nice

Cons

not easy to make money

Advice to Management

more advices about association

Mutual of Omaha Photos