Mutual of Omaha Reviews

Updated March 30, 2015
170 reviews filtered by

1. Great place to work for those who want relaxed environment.

Former Employee - BI Developer in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - BI Developer in Omaha, NE

I worked at Mutual of Omaha full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very easy going and relaxed environment, you may take months to complete a task, no question asked.

Cons

No flex hours and work from home options. People has huge difficulty adapting to change.

The only con I would say is the management. Managers need to broaden their perspective and stop behaving like we are factory workers, we are IT professionals.

2. Not a good experience

I worked at Mutual of Omaha

Pros

Training was decent with some opportunity to advance

Cons

You have to work for very low pay for a long time in order to get the high pay promised

It takes a special breed of a person

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Mutual of Omaha full-time

Pros

Independent Contractor so you make your own schedule

Cons

Poor organization
    Poor leadership
    Good Ol Boys Club

Training only lasted one day and i never felt like anybody really cared...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, TX

I worked at Mutual of Omaha full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours are great. If you've done this type of job before and already have some experience it won't be so bad. BUT i would not recommend working here if you've never had a job like this before.

Cons

New to the industry and training only lasted for 8 hours. Seriously? This was the worst job i've ever had. I understand that i had to do all of my own work but i never felt supported doing anything. My manager was suppose to meet me 4 different times in a matter of 2 months to go out with me and show me the ropes and would cancel and leave me hanging. They left me to learn everything and do everything on my own. And then the stuff you do sell, if they cancel the policy or whatever, even after you leave you have to repay that amount. You also have to pay all taxes on the money you do make which they never told me.

Give better guidance to new hires. Care more about your employees to want to help them.

This was initially a very promising situation but, it quickly became a very negative work environment. They seem more

Current Employee - Registered Financial Advisor in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Registered Financial Advisor in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Mutual of Omaha full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexability but no growth prospects. The office was located in a very prosperous area but, they did nothing to promote the products and services that could have been offered like Retirement planning and such.

Cons

Very little structure and no growth prospects. Very little focus on things like Retirement Planning and modern concepts.

Need much more structure to the office and more modern thinking. They seem like they are just going through the motions til the office closes altogether.

Fire All Current Management

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Mutual of Omaha full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company overall is stable and doing quite well, but at the expense of it's employees.

Cons

Management is absolutely horrible and lack leadership and management skills. They promote purely by attrition which ensures the old, outdated culture will never change. Upper management rules with an iron fist and couldn't care less about what the average employee thinks or how they're treated. The HR department is a joke and nobody trusts them. The pay is bad because they give only a 2% annual raise, which doesn't even cover the cost of living. They do pay out a bonus, but nobody...and I mean nobody can figure how that system works. One department gets more money than the others, etc... The biggest con really is the horrible management, just absolutely the worst people in the world. They think they are gods within the walls of Mutual, while they are really just unhappy with their lives.

LISTEN to your employees. Come down from the 12th floor and actually see what is happening literally beneath your noses. Hold "Town Hall" meetings and rather than a stupid multiple choice engagement survey, provide a legitimate opportunity for employees to write down what is wrong. Stop making excuses and eliminate those horrible, unethical managers that always get bad reviews...yet somehow manage to stay employed. Give raises more than 2%, because frankly that's an insult. While you sit up there with your HUGE bonuses, the average worker is having real difficulty getting by. Subsidize the food, and make it a place where people actually want to work. Oh...and seriously...fire all management, most of the managers really are horrible, horrible people.

8. Sales and training

Former Employee - Agent in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Agent in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Mutual of Omaha full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for, great support

Cons

Too many sales meeting, limited products to sell. No in the field support

Listen more closely to your team.

9. Its what you make it

Current Contractor - Sales Representative in Eugene, OR
    Current Contractor - Sales Representative in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Mutual of Omaha as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

flexible hours, great office culture, management really seems to care about agents. a lot of opportunity for advancement and growth. if you work hard, you will be rewarded. training is awesome, better comp than many other comparable companies

Cons

you take a lot of rejection in this business, you spend a lot of time on the phone or driving, but if you can handle that. its a great place to be.

Keep going what youre doing

10. Flexible work environment

Current Employee - Training & Recruiting Specialist
    Current Employee - Training & Recruiting Specialist

I have been working at Mutual of Omaha full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly work environment. Flexible work schedule. Can come and go as you please, as long as you are completing requirements. Heavily focused on training inexperienced advisors.

Cons

Ability to grow in position is based on many factors outside of your control. Compensation is not flexible when in a specific role.

Provide better opportunities for growth based on factors within the employees control.

Unfair to female associates

Former Employee - Risk Management in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Risk Management in Omaha, NE

I worked at Mutual of Omaha full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If there were any pros to speak of I would be happy to list them. They do encourage volunteer work but only for their positive standing in the community.

Cons

Good ole boy attitude within the upper management. Zero tolerance is not true at this company, harrassment and unfair growth opportunities. Work/home balance is not of any value to upper management for lower than management employees. Not an open door company, many secrets and management does not care for anyone except themselves.

Get a clue of how your sales in group insurance as increased dramatically since the head of Group and the VP of Group Insurance have taken charge. Undercut competitors rates by cutting your own throat.

Mutual of Omaha Photos