My Dentist Reviews

Updated October 6, 2014
Updated October 6, 2014
1.5

Kevin Offel

Helping an extraordinary man bring his dream to fruition is amazing...

I have been working at My Dentist full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Growth potential, being a part of something bigger is amazing,

Cons

Now that it has been purchased it is hard to get things to move quickly. Job security is scary.

Be honest with affiliations.

Disgusting

Former Employee - Associate Dentist in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Associate Dentist in Kansas City, MO

I worked at My Dentist full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You will earn a pay check other than that there is nothing good about this company

Cons

The management knows nothing of dentistry and bully us into doing questionable treatment to earn them the all mighty dollar. They treat the dental assistants terribly and demand unreasonable expectations not allowing for adequate sterilization. They often run out of product due to "monetary allowances' and do not care how this effects the patient. They lack all care and concern for employees and patients alike. This place is a disgrace to dentistry.

Hire dentists to manage your facility and treat people fairly. Stop bullying treatment on patients that don't understand. There is a moral way to approach people and this is not it!

Good experience for new grads.

Former Employee - Associate Dentist in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Associate Dentist in Tulsa, OK

I worked at My Dentist full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They accepts all insurances, including cash and Medicaid.
    You get mentorship from the lead dentist in the office.

Cons

Large turnover rate of staff, including doctors, assistants, and managers.
    Was told during interview that offices only see 15% Medicaid, however my office in particular saw 85% Medicaid.

Senior management needs to visit individual offices to ensure that the goals of the company are being implemented and achieved.

The worst corporate dental job ever, a word of advice to potential employees or job seekers, run from this ompany.

Former Employee - Dental Assistant in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Dental Assistant in Kansas City, KS

I worked at My Dentist full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The money and the dentist. great co-workers, hours were good.

Cons

Upper management likes to bully patients into their dental work, when they have no money.

Educate management on employee satisfaction.

Do not recommend working for this company. Be forewarned.

I worked at My Dentist full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-I learned what NOT to do in the Dental field.

Cons

-Extremely high turnover, my entire office except for the doctors, got replaced twice.
    -Make you come to work sick, getting everyone else sick too.
    -poor management, don't lead people, rip people off,
    -it's all about production goals, if not attained they scrutinize you.
    -always over book the schedule
    -little to no training.
    -very difficult to get a raise
    -after giving a months notice for time off, it may NOT get granted OR get approved week of your vacation/time off.
    - you often get sent to work at other offices with no additional compensation and with longer hours
    -hard to see your peers mistreated ie work with no lunch, UNPAID mandatory meetings before or after work( this happened often, they paid it once, then tried to do this several times again)
    -very stressful environment if a patient doesn't show up
    -if there were reviews on this company before I got hired, it would have saved much heartache.

It's about people. Treat them like family, not a COMMODITY.
    A good company starts with their leaders, get some leadership -it's absent.
    I would recommend EntreLeadership by David Ramsey or How to win friends and influence people by Dale Carnegie to start these changes.

Poor Management

Former Employee - Patient Advocate in Ardmore, OK
    Former Employee - Patient Advocate in Ardmore, OK

I worked at My Dentist full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was close to I-35

Cons

All about the money. Untrained dentist.

Better training , better staff and worry more about the patient. Before you leave your current job think about it. If you like to show your assets and backstabbing you will fit right in.

Would not recommend my fellow dentists to work for this company

Former Employee - Dentist in Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Dentist in Lewisville, TX

I worked at My Dentist full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-decent CE
    -company has own integrated lab, technical support personnel (Denturist)
    -offices are generally new, stand-alone buildings

Cons

-Too many

-extremely high staff turnover, including dentists. In the one year I was here before quitting the entire TX dentist staff was turned over, the only one staying being their "PC holder," whom they can't/won't eliminate. Assistants and front office get turned over extremely frequently. The aforementioned PC holder switched 7assistants in a span of 10 months
    -pay rate is substandard, at only 28% of collections. Many of their competitors pay better

-Collection rate is terrible. My collection % for the entire past year was only 69%. This is due to the managements propensity for excessively offering payment plans or taking financial risks. As a dentist, would you want to get paid $900 for a crown in one lump sum payment or take 9 $100 monthly payments? Many patients I treated under payment plans simply stopped paying after 2-3 payments and its been a nightmare to track patient accounts. As a non-owner dentist, I should not have to put up with the onus of ownership duties. It is the front offices job to ensure a logical, ironclad financial agreement before I do any work on patients.

-Senior and regional management shows no accountability for their policies and behavior. When things go wrong, they simply dump the blame onto the front desk personnel in the individual offices and make them the scapegoats.

-supply is always in shortage. It goes beyond embarrassment when I try to take an impression only to be told that we don't have enough materials because our supply budget does not allow for sufficient budget. This has happened to every material, every week. Wouldn't it common sense to stockpile some common materials a dental office needs, since they will be used anyways?

-Senior management shows very little selectivity during the hiring process and uses the firing process excessively to correct their errors. Rather than rushing to hire someone, put a little more thought into your hiring process to find the right ones and treat them well so that they want to stay with you.

-senior management also likes to rule through fear and intimidation. They fire dentists and staff on the spot, throw them out like stray dogs out of the office in minutes, and does this in full view of the rest of the staff. The current COO is a joke and treats people like trash.

-since leaving them, management has tried to withhold my wages claiming that I caused them losses even though I gave them advanced notice and we mutually agreed on a separation date. This kind of action goes to show you what kind of company this is.

Your Achilles heel is your extremely high turnover rate. For any business, the most important resource is the people, and yet you turnover staff at a rate that you cannot possibly build a cohesive group. You claim that its all about finding the "right"people, but its also about keeping the right people as well; I resigned because of what you showed me during my time there. The senior management needs a serious shakeup and re-align their policies going forward.

Very unprofessional and minimal support for practice managers

Former Employee - Practice Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Practice Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at My Dentist full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

a paycheck---5 day work week

Cons

where to begin.....

it's all about the money...very little emphasis on patient care
    HIGH turnover!
    COO is a joke. Treats the business as if we were selling widgets.
    Questionable insurance filing practices.

Stop worrying about the money, and concentrate on customer satisfaction

The most poorly managed company I have ever worked for.

I worked at My Dentist

Pros

A way to pay your bills.

Cons

No accountability. Regional management will not take any responsibility for what is going on in the individual offices. Turnover rate is sky high and there is no proper training. Patients are not a priority, it is all about the almighty dollar. Management demands that you "find a way" to finance anyone, regardless of what their true ability to pay is. The owner and senior management team thrive on managing out of fear. Concepts and protocols are constantly changed on a dime with no explanation. The workload is unmanageable and goals are unattainable. There is no work/home balance. You are ALWAYS worried that you will walk in one day and lose your job.

Your turnover rate is too high. There are too many cases of perfectly good employees being terminated without due process. There needs to be a concept of patient first instead of money first. If you take care of the patients the money will follow. There is NO proper training for new employees. There is no proper feedback or communication from management to the employees at each office about there performance. The office manager really has NO control of what is going on in each office- corporate controls everything- so the office manager is just a mediator/babysitter between corporate and the office staff.

You cannot run that many offices the way you would run one private practice. Each office has its own difficulties and challenges. There are way too many employees that are terrified of losing their jobs that they cannot truly focus on their actual performance. Your turnover rate is costing you more than if you were to truly figure out what can be done in each office to improve them. Getting rid of dedicated seasoned employees is not the answer to your issues.

FYI- telling your female employees (which is the majority) to make sure they have lipstick on or else, is extremely offensive and very well could lead to a serious lawsuit.

MyDentsit-Mumbai, Poor Management, Fake Promises

Current Employee - Associate Dentist in Mumbai (India)
    Current Employee - Associate Dentist in Mumbai (India)

I have been working at My Dentist full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1) Learning new things since many a times there are Trainings, which are knowledge sharing sessions.

Cons

1) Pay-scale, which is poor (starting salary is 6000rs per slot EXCLUSIVE of taxes)
    2) Downsizing and Shifting from clinic to the other so attrition rate is HIGH !
    3) you have to have good "LICKING" skills to reach higher positions
    4) The team of dental directors are the ones who themselves have no management skills. They select you on a personal basis. The CEO being a Non-Dentist, depends on the Dental Directors, which makes matters even worse !

Learn to Respect each dentist that joins your organization !