MyEyeDr. Reviews

Overall I'm Satisfied with MED

Current Employee - Lab Technician  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Washington, DC

I have been working at MyEyeDr. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation for the sales staff and lab techs are more than competitive. Generally staff at most locations are extremely friendly. They have a decent program for promotion-from-within. They are willing to hire almost anyone, even if you don't have optical experience, you just have to be able to learn the MED values. For those new to optics they have decent training tools you can use to access learning videos.
    Depending on your office manager, schedules can be fairly flexible, incase you have DR's appointments, children, etc.

Cons

There is a point of pay raise stagnation, being "maxed out", as it were. Meaning you are no longer eligible for pay increases. At that point to earn more you have to either get promoted or earn more commission.
    Training a new associate who didn't have optical experience is one thing, but training a management level (office GM) is completely another. Generally a new GM without optical goes thru a GM in training period of a couple months to get them up to speed, but sometimes they have been just thrown into the water with minimal training and been told to swim. At that point associates are having to teach their bosses how to do their job.
    Working on Saturdays is never any fun (it's retail, they're required) and if you want one off you have to take a vacation day.

Communication is generally subpar from upper management down to associates, but it has been getting better recently. The company is rapidly growing and some of the staffs down in NC aren't quite prepared to handle the influx of business they've received as a result of MED taking over. Short term I feel like the company is going to be stretched pretty thin due to the training requirements of the newly acquired offices, long term I like the outlook of the company once all of the new acquisitions are fully staffed once again and they are up to speed.

Unorganized chaos

Current Employee - N/A  in  Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - N/A in Vienna, VA

I have been working at MyEyeDr. full-time

Pros

Decent pay for Eyewear Consultants, GMs, and doctors.

Cons

This company typically throws new hires right in with little to zero optical experience after watching about an hour worth of common sense customer service videos. Many EC's are learning as they go with little to no explanation from GMs. I have been fortunate to work with a GM that did not come from MyEyeDr and has had years in the optical field, but I know this is a very rare case compared to many other coworkers. A majority of management comes from a retail only background and is getting a crash course in vision insurance and optical knowledge. It leads to a lot of inefficiency. Speaking of inefficiency, the POS software is horrid. For instance, if you want to order a frame in a different color than the one you have for a patient, you ring up the order as a miscellaneous frame order and write out the name of the frame for the distribution center to order. Easy enough, right? Wrong. After doing the misc. order you have to wait until the next day, check the office email to see if the DC added the frame as a option in the POS system THEN you have to return the order, rekey the order, then select the frame that has been added. Seeing as the company somehow thinks you can comfortably see a patient every 10-15 minutes, it can make for a lot of mistakes as EC's are overwhelmed with patients to see and can forget to check the email for an order they put in yesterday. Also, if your family lives out of town and you would like to see them around the holidays you may as well just download Skype because this company blacks out the holidays for employees to take time off. Enjoy working Christmas Eve and then doing inventory on New Year's Eve! Nothing makes it feel like the holidays quite like working overtime and not getting to spend time with your family! The benefits are pretty much bare bones. Just enough for you to technically have insurance.

Train EC's fully in optical AND retail before sending them to the floor. Explain payroll to GMs so they can actually work with employees on it rather than having to send people home early with no real explanation. Remember that employees have a life outside of work and would like to see their family around the holidays. Closing down your offices for Christmas Eve isn't a loss of profits, it's a sign of appreciation to your employees and understanding that this is a time for family, not work.

MyEyeDr. Response

Aug 18, 2014President

Hi,

Thank for taking time to provide feedback. I am sorry you haven’t had the great experience as an associate that we try to achieve. The majority of our GMs do have extensive optical
    ... More

Eye wear consultant

Current Employee - Eyewear Consultant  in  Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Eyewear Consultant in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at MyEyeDr. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Commission on top of hour rate.

Cons

the commission structure sucks. when you sell extra glasses you actually get less money if they are polarized or Transition. I sold $1000.00 worth of glasses to a pt this week to only make $10. woop-t-do.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice option for optometrists

Current Employee - Optometrist
    Current Employee - Optometrist

I have been working at MyEyeDr. full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good salary and bonus potential, personally experienced management who listen and try to work with you. Works well with staff members, their schedules etc. Able to offer full-service eye care and good pricing for patients.

Allow doctors to do what they do best and help you keep patients in your office. Have had no issues with trying to change the overall way I see patients.

Employ tracking methods that can help grow optical business and give patients what they want which is to do business in one place and not have to leave because they can offer it in one place.

Cons

NC is a new venture for them and they are growing quickly, need to make sure that staffing and management are able to handle growth and maintain good people.

Each office may be different, apply individualized management

nepotism and insect ? sign right up!

Former Employee - Eyewear Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Eyewear Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at MyEyeDr. full-time for less than a year

Pros

executive/senior level management is amazing, the amount to learn from them is incredible, great training programs, invitations to vendor seminars, sales contests, employee vision/eyewear program

Cons

as much as the company proudly touts their "promote from with in" policy, few are seen coming from " with in". Instead you see 6-10 year employees stagnant in their position while people with 0 experience come into mgmt positions? Middle management struggles with conflict resolution, very much a "sweep it under the rug, pretend it never happened to philosophy". A few months at the company and you will soon realize many employees have had prior intimate relationships, are engaged/married/dating another member of mgmt or doctor, in may cases you see quite under-qualified children or relatives of senior level mgmt. be awarded positions that don't seem to match their resume nor qualifications. Nepotism is encouraged, the outsiders are definitely the enemy - which is sad considering the company's rapid growth

Many great corporations fall as they expand, due to middle management. Senior and Executive management needs to be a little more in the loop when serious situatiosn arise, or perhaps give a final ok before some one is hired. Hire based on qualifications not which employee's boyfriend/gilfriend/fiance/child it is.
    You have a wonderful business structure and incredible talent. Don't lose your best employees due to negligence of middle management to recognize their strengths to best help them grow or find the best role with in the company for them.

There is plenty of room for change.

Former Employee - Eyewear Consultant
    Former Employee - Eyewear Consultant

I worked at MyEyeDr. part-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay scale seems to be better than other retail optical companies. The new staff, while inexperienced, are generally good hires when it comes to service.

Cons

The ever-changing schedule changes are completely annoying and complicates the ability to plan ahead. Coming in with previous optical experience allows you to compare regular company practices and question how this company gets so much business.

Your employees would like a weekend off without fearing they will have to use vacation time. Communication between senior management to store employees could be improved. The wall-filled printed emails are easily ignored when everything seems great on paper but contradicted in practice.

Fun and rewarding environment

Current Employee - Optometrist  in  Aspen Hill, MD
    Current Employee - Optometrist in Aspen Hill, MD

I have been working at MyEyeDr. full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company takes very good care of the doctors along with other positions. They understand that a happy staff means a happy patient. If the doc is overwhelmed or unhappy, that directly affects the care of the patient. We are all humans.

The staff is highly trained and very professional. They are kept on their toes with a educational program (MED University).

The company strives to become better each day.

They believe what I believe, patient's well-being and quality of life is the main goal.

Cons

Long Saturdays. Better benefits in terms of eyewear program.

Equality in terms of standard of operations in ALL offices.

Motivated and Developed within a growing company

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Vienna, VA

I have been working at MyEyeDr. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

MyEyeDr is employee lead. Training and Development is a high priority to all.
    Employees are paid well and rewarded well too.
    Locations are supported well by senior management

Cons

hard work at time - but it does pay off!

Continue the coaching and development of everyone - its growing the company from within

Twelve year veteran of the optical business and this is the best company I know of

I have been working at MyEyeDr. full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been in the optical profession for twelve years and have worked in a variety of different settings in that time. My Eye Dr is the most professional, efficient, and dedicated organization I've ever seen in the business. They pay well, train well, and are completely supportive all around. Most of my coworkers are happy on the job and it's a joy to come in in the mornings.

Cons

Management is a bit more hands-on than many other companies. Having been a part of organizations where management was far more aloof and uninvolved I can say unequivocally that it's better when they are on top of things. We get busy during certain times of the year and there can be some stress, but it's temporary and expected, and the company rewards people afterward.

Maintain the attention to detail that you've shown so far. Don't let the growing size of the group distract from the core competencies that made the company so successful so far.

Perfect fit - glad I'm here.

I have been working at MyEyeDr. full-time for less than a year

Pros

The place is growing and the opportunities seem endless. The company is generous with resources to solve problems. Very positive group. All the growth means that you can really make this place a career for many years. Management is extremely fair.

Cons

Fast growth means that not everyone can keep up. Things are changing for the better but change can be hard for some.

Keep up the great training programs. The training is what

Worked for MyEyeDr.? Contribute to the Community!