MySpace Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
Tim Vanderhook

Pros
  • Great benefits through working for a Fox-owned property (in 7 reviews)

• Smart, wonderful colleagues and fun, interesting projects to work on (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of vision, lots of lay-offs (in 4 reviews)

• Company couldn't establish a clear vision (in 3 reviews)

1. Intellectually Challenging

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Beverly Hills, CA

Pros

always challenging and fun - consistent intellectual stimulation

Cons

location requires a long commute

Advice to Management

keep up the good work!

2. Great Place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

Pros

Good technology is very good

Cons

Parking is very bad, very

Advice to Management

Communication

3. MySpace rocks!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Beverly Hills, CA

Pros

MySpace in all departments has awesome people, cool and young corporate culture, it is an excellent product, as well as a great brand, obviously one of the most popular websites in the world. Owned by Fox Interactive media, FIM offers excellent benefits, flex hours and work from home arrangements for some, and $50 worth of free meals / snacks at the on-site cafeteria. The office features a game room, showers, ATM, and roof-top patio. Celebs are always stopping by for interviews. Tom and Chris both work in the building, which keeps it real.

Cons

The commute to Beverly Hills can often take up precious time, and the corporate b.s. that is inevitable with being part of newscorp.

Advice to Management

Share the wealth!

5. MySpace Is a Great Place To Work!

Current Employee - .NET Developer in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - .NET Developer in Beverly Hills, CA

Pros

MySpace offers a challenging, fast-paced work environment with opportunities for hard-working individuals to advance their career in the tech industry. MySpace employs some of the best tech talent in the industry and, therefore, provides some of the best opportunities to learn and to play with new toys & gadgets. As an engineer, the best reason to work at MySpace is that it's a profit center! In other words, we make money for Fox Interactive.

Cons

You are expected to be able to work on your own and add value. You are expected to know your stuff and make good decisions. You have to be a team player. The work environment in engineering is fast paced and changes quickly so one must be able to adapt to changing demands.

Advice to Management

I feel as if they are doing a good job.

6. still a great place to work, but it's difficult not being #1 any more

Current Employee - Tech Manager in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Tech Manager in Beverly Hills, CA

Pros

Smart People Fun and relaxed environment Great opportunity to learn

Cons

The product mostly sucks so you tend not to have anything to showcase There are very smart people there but they get no respect because they are judged by the product Pay is not that great and no opportunities for equity NewsCorp decide too much for the company

Advice to Management

Fix the product already; it's really not that difficult Invest in the future, don't be afraid of it.

7. It is full of fun

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Beverly Hills, CA

Pros

People are young and work without pressure. Working hours is short. We have parties with free alcohols very often. Company has dojo for knowledge sharing.

Cons

Web traffic keeps going down and users are switched or switching to facebook. Mass layoff happened few times and everyone is sad about that.

Advice to Management

The leaders do not give direction on where we go especially before and after the layoff. Nobody knows if it is safe to stay.

8. Excited to be a part of the comeback!!

Current Employee - Director of Product Management in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Product Management in Beverly Hills, CA

Pros

New management has taken over and is making a real run at turning this place around. Morale is the best since I've been around. The new vision for the site is amazing. The music catalogue is bigger and better than Spotify and Pandora (and it's free too). We get free cooked to order lunch everyday. Fresh ideas that are actually put into action, instead of falling on deaf ears. Competitive pay and great benefits.

Cons

Historical turnover and layoffs under NewsCorp have hurt morale in the past. Past mis-management and inter-office politics have given those that work here a bad reputation (however, new management has shown differently). Previous regime was dead set focused on Futura and now we are all paying for their poor judgement.

Advice to Management

You've shown a great sense of leadership and direction in the short time you have been here. Please stay the course and never forget that the user experience is the most important aspect to regaining our prominence!

9. Great place to work!

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at MySpace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice place, great tech people around. Agile teams.

Cons

Teams are fragmented but rely on each other to get the job done. However, getting response from different teams is difficult and challenging at times.

Advice to Management

Open communication across. Swift turnaround on issues.

10. Project manager on MySpace 2.0

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at MySpace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It took some convening for me to join the company, but I'm so glad I did back in 2009. The CTO at the time was a proactive leader and really kept in touch with the teams. We knew we had a difficult task of reinventing the site/brand but everyone was motivated to make it happen. Some of the brightest talent I've worked with in the industry.

Cons

The only real downside was that MySpace as a brand was already damaged and our changes eventually had little impact. The end result was the mass layoff. I see the site has launched in a new direction. I wish the MySpace team all the luck in the world.

Advice to Management

Try your best to fight through the many years of MySpace getting a bad rap/bad name. Your backend services and security is far better than Facebook.

11. MySpace was a great place to work.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at MySpace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Talented and smart people working on fascinating projects.

Cons

No company vision beyond acquisition.

Advice to Management

Moot point now.

RSS Feed </> Embed