MySpace

www.myspace.com

MySpace Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Tim Vanderhook

Pros
  • Innovative field of social networking, hundreds of millions of users means your code is used by the world, not just grandma next door (in 7 reviews)

• They treat their employees well, decent salary, great benefits and a lot of room for growth within the company (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of vision, lots of lay-offs (in 4 reviews)

• Poor vision of future from senior management team (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Too many cooks

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere were really some fantastic employees here who were brilliant at what they did. With millions of users and Fox as their parent company, the tools being built and the media deals being run created some incredible products that were completely ignored by the public because it was easier to dismiss the company at large because of neglected user profiles.

ConsWay too many middle-management staff that provided input for no other reason than they didn't know what else to do. Lots of insider deals to work or not work with vendors for astronomical costs.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrop the name.

Project manager on MySpace 2.0

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) Beverly Hills, CA

ProsIt took some convening for me to join the company, but I'm so glad I did back in 2009. The CTO at the time was a proactive leader and really kept in touch with the teams. We knew we had a difficult task of reinventing the site/brand but everyone was motivated to make it happen. Some of the brightest talent I've worked with in the industry.

ConsThe only real downside was that MySpace as a brand was already damaged and our changes eventually had little impact. The end result was the mass layoff. I see the site has launched in a new direction. I wish the MySpace team all the luck in the world.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry your best to fight through the many years of MySpace getting a bad rap/bad name. Your backend services and security is far better than Facebook.

I felt very underemployed.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe Beverly Hills office has a very nice working atmosphere, filled with a young, unique staff. Very welcoming to creative and expressive thought.

ConsAs an intern, I felt that many of the tasks and responsibilities i carried out were relatively useless. There were many days were I thought that my presence was completely unneeded.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse your interns to your advantage.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice company to work for during it's heyday

Senior Architect (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsLots of smart people, lots of focus and drive

ConsOwned by fox, which didn't really get "social media".

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Great co-workers, aimless company

Director (Former Employee) Beverly Hills, CA

ProsFun/animated co-workers, many of whom become great friends.
    Pay ranges from so-so to slightly above-market.
    Free lunch on-site.
    Located in sunny SoCal.

ConsCompany couldn't establish a clear vision.
    Management, while comprised of many smart people, was relatively inexperienced.
    Company tried to do too much at once, making most products subpar.
    FAR too much red tape to get very simple things done.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick one focus, establish the vision, and stick with it.
    Communicate said vision every single day.
    Minimize red tape -- far too many cooks in the kitchen for very simple product/feature updates.

Stay away from this company

Visual Designer (Former Employee) Beverly Hills, CA

ProsOffice location in Beverly Hills, that's it.

ConsTheir HR is not Myspace but Specific Media (parent company), which is embarrassingly unprofessional. They don't know the difference between job roles.

A Fun Startup-Ish Music Company Within A Huge Iconic Social Network Company

Job Security Scary With Advent Of Facebook

Advice to Senior ManagementMake The Company Truly Agile

Great place to work!

Senior Software Developer (Former Employee) Beverly Hills, CA

ProsNice place, great tech people around. Agile teams.

ConsTeams are fragmented but rely on each other to get the job done. However, getting response from different teams is difficult and challenging at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen communication across. Swift turnaround on issues.

only if you are desperate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Beverly Hills, CA

Prosits a check, free food

Consno vision, cost cutting at every corner. Management does not care about employees, and only watch out for themselves. Will publicly embarrass teams in front of the entire company. No budget to be competitive. Unless you are desperate for a paycheck avoid at all costs this is a sinking ship

Great benefits, work is alright, but product is going down the drains

Software Developer (Current Employee) Beverly Hills, CA

ProsGreat benefits
    Great compensation
    Work is not bad

ConsNot enough quality employees
    Product is lacking quality

Advice to Senior ManagementMinimize product scope and focus on the parts that are working

Worked for MySpace? Contribute to the Community!