Myer

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bernie Brooks

great when you're young, just don't get any older

Prosflexible environment
    open opportunities to move within other departments
    great discount
    depending on department, relaxed environment

Consno support for customer/staff abuse
    high expectations when there is low to no traffic
    as soon as you hit 20 they're looking for the young bloods to work for less
    commission based environments can create dishonesty, fraud and turn team members against one another

Advice to Senior Managementprovide more in depth direction with staff
    do not threaten staff to perform extended warranties on products of which they are pointless considering it is an expectation and not in the job description
    make more leadership and career pathways accessible

Sales associate, casual

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Sydney (Australia)

ProsPeople always come first, managers treat really nice and always appreciate the work you done.
    Colleagues always willing to share the skills and techniques to each other.

ConsPromotion are not very possible for casual, do not have annual leave like the full time and part time. Shifts usually very fluctuated with seasons, sometime you only assign one or two days per week during non peak season.

Advice to Senior Managementshould have increase chance of casual and part time for promotion.

Slow and Steady

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Melbourne (Australia)

ProsFlexible work and good work-life balance. Culture suits people who are not overly ambitious.

ConsNot very progressive when it comes to adopting or exploring new ways of doing things. Culture is quite stagnant and can be challenging. New ideas can be seen as a threat to people who have been in the company for a long time and are not open to change.

Advice to Senior ManagementDefine values, drive change and review processes to automate for efficiency.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Christmas Casual

Christmas Casual (Former Employee)

ProsGood Pay
    Excellent training
    Great Hours during the Christmas break

ConsManagers are more likely to care about their sales figures rather than you.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould put team members ahead of sales targets.

Analyst

Analyst (Former Employee)
    Melbourne (Australia)

ProsNot much apart from great staff discounts

ConsNo training budget period; no flexible working hours - must be in office 8:30am to 5:30pm; poor employee engagement; ancient IT infrastructure and programs; poor IT processes to get access for required programs for my role

Advice to Senior ManagementLook after your staff; implement a proper performance management process (for "poor performers") before sacking them; stop thinking product and start thinking customer - they should dictate what products to stock

Good experience in retail

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)
    Melbourne (Australia)

ProsGreat team to work in at my department with and good conditions with breaks.

ConsSome of the managers were uncaring and focus on unimportant things like sales per hour, which did not measure performance at all, it depended who was put on tills. Also some of the staff were a little pretentious .

Advice to Senior ManagementReally try and get to know the team (though some did!)

Great atmosphere, can meet some interesting people. If fashion is your passion give it a go!

Retail Assistant (Former Employee)
    Sydney (Australia)

ProsGreat benefits- fantastic discounts across the store, and further discounts for the department you work in.
    Excellent casual pay, great on the weekends and boxing day!!

ConsOn week days it can get abit boring with less customers.
    Towards the end of my employment alot of cleaning were involved for head office inspections- not really what you expect to do on a daily basis for a retail assistant at a high-class department store.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers were very supportive! And alot of trust is given to employees.

Enjoyable working conditions.

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)
    Adelaide (Australia)

ProsMet some great people, management were great.

ConsRosters could change at a moments notice.

If you can speak up and work hard you'll be noticed, otherwise this isn't the place for you.

Electrical Sales/Claims Officer (Former Employee)
    Cairns (Australia)

ProsI was there for two years. I was often put in multiple departments and even had shifts in the office and in logistics, leaving me with a wealth of experience.

If you're organised and ask in advance, they can be flexible with shifts and try to assist you to work where you'd like.

Commission in electrical was a welcome bonus, and the base rate was reasonable.

Up to 20% off staff bonus after 3 months was lovely. Also had benefits such as reduced interest rate on the Visa card.

ConsOfficial training was quite poor.

I worked in electrical and we had a "TV guy" who just looked after TV sales. I found myself often pushed into small electrical sales, which meant reduced chance for commission. Many other departments had people in unofficial "pre-defined" roles such as this.

My Christmas gift was a free coffee from the in-store cafe. Pretty dodgy. Christmas party was not paid for by Myer either.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake your employees feel important. I did my best work when I was in a department when I felt valued. Small things - even just free tea/coffee/biscuits - would go a long way.

I spent time in a department who had weekly Friday dinners. The staff would pay, of course, but it was still a lovely way to connect with everyone. If anyone had a birthday, they'd get a free meal. That was one of the best departments in terms of sales in the whole store.

Good Casual Job

Sales Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible, Friendly Management, Close colleague friendships, Satisfying a customer can make you feel worthy, Work/life balance, Good Casual pay rates

ConsMinimal training given, lack of staff to help (often having to cover several departments because of minimal designated staff), rare job promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf an employee is lacking in the skills of their department (i.e. suit measurements) it is a good idea to train them to be more effective in their selling approaches. More staff needs to be hired to enable a first class customer service presence.

Worked for Myer? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Myer reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Myer CEO Bernie Brooks. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Myer employees.