Myplanet Reviews

4.7
Jason Cottrell

1. Featured Review

All around amazing company

Current Employee - Web Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- awesome culture and atmosphere - no process for the sake of process, if any thing exists with no good reason, it will be removed - everyone is nice to everyone else, no interest conflict between any 2 roles - encourages learning and knowledge sharing, no one is holding anything back - everyone takes responsibility and ownership of their own work - always recognizes everyone for their awesome work, no one feels ignored - flexible hours, you can just discuss your needs with your team members and no upper "management" is involved (do we even have management team???) - DOGS DOGS DOGS!!!

Cons

- the construction happening outside had been driving people crazy for almost a year, but it finally seems to be settling down - company is currently trying to make a smooth transition between a traditional agency to being product centric, so there is a gap between the product team and the rest of the company. It's very easy to hop between roles and teams, but the experience will be different, so make sure you mention which part you would like to be working on

May 27, 2015 – CEO

We love it when someone calls out our culture and is enjoying their experience working here. :) Your comment touches on the experience we want you to have as a Myplaneteer. This is largely driven ... More

2. A second family that definitely works hard and celebrates the big and small wins!

I worked at Myplanet full-time

Pros

- people - location - benefits - challenges that help you grow professionally - Mindfulness Mondays were great to take the break and reflect

Cons

- some people needed more structure than others - could be a culture shock for those that come from an larger enterprise organization.

3. 5+ great years

Former Employee - Director, Product in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Director, Product in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Myplanet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I'm one of the co-founders of Myplanet and consider the 5 years I spent there to be some of the best I've had. I've come to appreciate the Myplanet culture more and more as I've spent time away from the company working on a new startup. There's this mutual respect that everyone has for one another that I can't quite do justice in print - it manifests as designers being genuinely interested in the pros & cons of the latest JavaScript framework and developers absorbing this unusual awareness of type & composition. Everyone shares this conviction that what they do is a craft that must constantly be honed, but they're also interested in what's going on around them. After a few years there you emerge with a certain kind of "T-shapedness", if you will. The management team genuinly cares about what Myplaneteers think and are constantly working to make it a great space to work. They're also very selective about the type of work they take on - we said no to far more projects than we've ever taken on. The company also cares a lot about environmental impact and being a good corporate citizen - Myplanet was a b corp hipster, i.e. they were into it before it was cool.

Cons

Autonomy is heavily prized at Myplanet. If you don't deal well with ambiguity and having to make your own decisions, it probably isn't the right place for you.

5. Great people, great company.

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Youthful, fast-paced atmosphere. - Surrounded by wonderful and talented people. - Myplanet has a thoughtful approach to any/all processes. Both internal, and external. Everything is done with a purpose. - Personally, i learned a ton of new skills that I've already been applying to other parts of my life. - They're genuinely concerned with their employees professional development.

Cons

- Maintaining this amazing environment has been a challenge during growth phases. - Not a con at all, but the company is still young. I'm excited to see what it will evolve into as it matures. I hope only the best for Myplanet.

6. Great culture, passionate attiitude

Current Employee - Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Myplanet full-time

Pros

Highly skilled and agile teams that produce quality work. Great communication skills all around. Very friendly and social office culture with many engagement activities such as mindful meditation sessions, ping pong table, thursday evening beer social, group/team lunches just to name a few.

Cons

A lot of staff are spread around the world, which is cool, but be prepared to have your team members spread across 10+ time zones which can make meetings a bit difficult.

7. Best place I have worked at

Current Employee - Front End Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Front End Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Myplanet

Pros

- Amazing culture. Serious commitment to happiness and personal development of the employees. - Lots of great people. Inclusive and friendly environment. - Lots of transparency in the organization. - Great downtown location & workspace.

Cons

-Your expectations from workplaces can get drastically altered after working here. They might rise a bit too high. Seriously though, no real cons that I can think of so far. One issue might be that the open space concept can get distracting at times but there are noise free areas where you can retreat with your laptop.

8. Great Vibes

Current Employee - Designer
    Current Employee - Designer

I have been working at Myplanet

Pros

amazing people & great space to work in

Cons

- no free lunch - hard to focus on a specific area to learn more because you keep on being on different projects

Developer

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, awesome days you can pick to learn whatever you want, amazing office, Agile process.

Cons

Could be more challenging work, Harder to reach out to management as company grows

May 27, 2015 – CEO

Glad that you are enjoying your experience with us. Each of us can contribute to building a stronger culture and a stronger Myplanet. Please do get out and get involved in our events and the ... More

Young, Vibrant Company.. Lacking Direction and Leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Myplanet full-time

Pros

- Pretty flexible for work hours, work from home if not feeling well, standard benefits, vacation - They have a lot of young, talented people working there - Office activities and parties

Cons

-The company is young, and so is the leadership team. This is fine, but there is a huge lack of leadership across the entire organization. Mistakes were made, but not learned from, and would continually be made over and over again. This I think is there biggest downfall because it created tension, stress and lots of wasteful meetings. Having a flat org is great to promote ownership across the startup teams, but when I was in need of help I didn't know who to ask. - Even though they promote flexible work hours, they have a problem with having any type of boundaries for work-life balance. There was always this expectation that you would be online even "after hours" to answer messages. Even on vacation I felt obligated to check my e-mails once and a while. If you have anything going on outside of work, beware that you'll probably spend many late nights at the office. It's the norm. - The culture at Myplanet suffered after they went on a hiring spree. They were growing too quickly and having a hard time maintaining a good culture. Once you get a couple bad eggs, it can spread throughout the whole org. A lot of things like "hack days" and "beer fridays" were just forgotten about because everyone was so busy.

May 27, 2015 – CEO

Thank-you for leaving your review, as well as your constructive feedback. It sounds as though our evolution in 2014 (including changes to our organization structure, sales method and offerings) did ... More

11. A cool, healthy family

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You're surrounded by very smart, very creative people; well above the norm. The company earnestly cares about the personal growth of its employees, while the employees voluntarily reciprocate by seeking out every opportunity to help the company grow. It's a healthy family. Company values are not just on paper -- they are really adhered to. And to me, the most important company value of all is Humanity.

Cons

Can't think of anything that stands out.

RSS Feed </> Embed