Myplanet Reviews

19 reviews filtered by
4.8
Jason Cottrell

1. A cool, healthy family

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You're surrounded by very smart, very creative people; well above the norm.

The company earnestly cares about the personal growth of its employees, while the employees voluntarily reciprocate by seeking out every opportunity to help the company grow. It's a healthy family.

Company values are not just on paper -- they are really adhered to. And to me, the most important company value of all is Humanity.

Cons

Can't think of anything that stands out.

2. Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great management, flexible schedule, fun workplace, great employees

Cons

Projects could be more exciting

Focus less on explosive growth, more on moving the needle

3. All around amazing company

Current Employee - Web Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- awesome culture and atmosphere
    - no process for the sake of process, if any thing exists with no good reason, it will be removed
    - everyone is nice to everyone else, no interest conflict between any 2 roles
    - encourages learning and knowledge sharing, no one is holding anything back
    - everyone takes responsibility and ownership of their own work
    - always recognizes everyone for their awesome work, no one feels ignored
    - flexible hours, you can just discuss your needs with your team members and no upper "management" is involved (do we even have management team???)
    - DOGS DOGS DOGS!!!

Cons

- the construction happening outside had been driving people crazy for almost a year, but it finally seems to be settling down
    - company is currently trying to make a smooth transition between a traditional agency to being product centric, so there is a gap between the product team and the rest of the company. It's very easy to hop between roles and teams, but the experience will be different, so make sure you mention which part you would like to be working on

5. Values-oriented & innovative - a great place to work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Myplanet full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Focused on company & employee values, first and foremost
    Working with an incredible range of tier one clients
    Transparent & flat organization
    Great downtown Toronto location
    Work-life balance always considered and plenty of complementary benefits to that

Cons

Lack of clarity on how to grow a career internally
    Company pivots or strategy changes are not always communicated clearly to employees

Keep focused on values, and the culture that makes Myplanet such a special place to work and grow!

6. Grass roots

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People are members of largely self-organizing teams, and everyone's opinion matters. Friendly coworkers. Big and interesting customers. Early adoption of new technology. Salary is about industry average for Toronto.

Cons

If you can't self-motivate, you'll struggle. Myplanet expects people to manage their own KPIs. Lots of growth over the past couple of years means lots of changes (although things are stabilizing now). Some turnover lately.

7. Choose Your Own Adventure

I have been working at Myplanet

Pros

What sets Myplanet apart from other companies of similar size is their empowerment of employees to actively participate in "choosing their own adventure". This includes influencing what projects are worked on, what processes are used, and contributing to the company culture. In addition to this, it's encouraged across all levels (process, culture, projects, company) to openly provide feedback and your opinion on almost everything.

Other items of note:
      - Appropriate autonomy for both teams and individuals
      - Flexible and Accepting culture (flex hours, beer, dogs, etc)
      - Great building
      - Smart people to work with
      - Awesome remote technology
      - Whiteboards aplenty
      - Great for lovers of design and technology
      - The company is finding it's way in terms of focus and process (which is exciting!)

Cons

No real cons... but several challenges. it's worth noting that most, if not all, of these challenges stem from the company's decision to grow and set themselves up for success. In other words: These would be expected of a company of this size and age.

(1) Company Focus: It has been a bit of a moving target, but we may be onto something now.
    (2) People Management: Given the growing pains, there have been higher than usual turnover and recruiting
    (3) Process: We're trying to find ourselves and how we want to work... and turning that into a process that's repeatable and easy to sell to clients. This is a great move for us, but certain risks are attached in "bucketing" engagements and trying out new approaches

If you're junior and not familiar with organizational change and growth, you should know that the above is expected of any professional services startup that's growing out of "startup" mode. While it can be challenging for some people to be part of this type of environment, it's just as exciting for others as they have the rare ability to contribute to how a company determines its strategy and delivers on the tactics required to achieve it.

Remain true to our values.
    Continue empowering employees to make their own decisions and have autonomy.
    Never ban dogs.

8. Employee-focused, flat org, trying to push the way work is done.

Current Employee - Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Myplanet full-time

Pros

- flat org
    - focuses on quality and org mission
    - cares about the employees
    - great group of people (socially)
    - always driving employees to skill up

Cons

- professional services can be challenging
    - there are lots of competing interests so it can feel like your speciality is not important at times

9. Myplanet is a progressive company, with a great culture and working environment, that truly values its employees

Current Employee - Designer/Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Designer/Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Myplanet

Pros

Beautiful office building
    Ergonomic set-up
    Good location in Toronto (design district, near St-Lawrence Market)
    Smart, talented, collaborative staff
    Low hierarchy organization, with a Director staff that consult staff and seem truly open to input
    Staff are trusted, not micromanaged, and entrepreneurial, self-starter spirit is encouraged/supported
    Challenging projects
    Good work-life balance for an agency, they work to be flexible as much as possible
    Complimentary starbucks coffee, hot chocolate etc
    Office politics appear to be practically non-existant
    Thorough on-boarding process
    Extended health benefits and an EAP are nice to have
    Innovative perks and engagement activities like Awesome Time program (provides nice support to staff who want to develop skills or do non-project work that is still of benefit to the company), movie nights, staff outings etc
    Company that does both professional design/dev services and also creators of their own unique product (valuable market diversification)

Cons

Training opportunities have been put on hold temporarily (though informal inter-staff training still happens)
    Some of the interesting perks (meditation, yoga etc) are also on hold
    People seeking many opportunities to climb the ladder may not find this low hierarchy model to be for them
    Some of the more complex, infrastructure type projects may be more appealing to developer applicants than designer applicants

10. I'd probably work here for free...

I have been working at Myplanet

Pros

Smart and creative people. Work hard but can have fun. Lots of growth opportunities, both in responsibility and skills. Have gone from small projects to doing great strategic work for some of the world's most prominent tech and telecom companies. Push for stable and high performing teams. Mindfulness training. Values-based culture.

Cons

Lot of change. Roles shift every few months as the company grows. Flat structure means people need to be self organizing. Can be tough to spend enough time in one place to really master your role.

Don't lose sight of the values as the company grow.

11. Amazing, supportive company.

Current Employee - Software Architect in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Architect in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Since the company has a flat hirearchy and team structure, it's really easy to hop between roles and technical skills. I like how as long as I'm contributing and delivering I can experiment working with design, development or more management roles. The flexibility allows me to grow professionally.

Cons

Some of the high stress clients put a lot of pressure on the teams - sometimes requiring overtime or last minute travel plans. While this is compensated, it does add stress to individuals with families.

Myplanet Response

Oct 20, 2014

We love happy Myplaneteers! We've setup our product philosophy and company structure to deliver the kind of professional growth you're talking about. You've been here for much of our history... your ... More