Myplanet Reviews

4.7
Jason Cottrell

1. Featured Review

All around amazing company

Current Employee - Web Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- awesome culture and atmosphere
    - no process for the sake of process, if any thing exists with no good reason, it will be removed
    - everyone is nice to everyone else, no interest conflict between any 2 roles
    - encourages learning and knowledge sharing, no one is holding anything back
    - everyone takes responsibility and ownership of their own work
    - always recognizes everyone for their awesome work, no one feels ignored
    - flexible hours, you can just discuss your needs with your team members and no upper "management" is involved (do we even have management team???)
    - DOGS DOGS DOGS!!!

Cons

- the construction happening outside had been driving people crazy for almost a year, but it finally seems to be settling down
    - company is currently trying to make a smooth transition between a traditional agency to being product centric, so there is a gap between the product team and the rest of the company. It's very easy to hop between roles and teams, but the experience will be different, so make sure you mention which part you would like to be working on

May 27, 2015CEO

We love it when someone calls out our culture and is enjoying their experience working here. :)

Your comment touches on the experience we want you to have as a Myplaneteer. This is largely driven
    ... More

2. Best place I have worked at

Current Employee - Front End Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Front End Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Myplanet

Pros

- Amazing culture. Serious commitment to happiness and personal development of the employees.
    - Lots of great people. Inclusive and friendly environment.
    - Lots of transparency in the organization.
    - Great downtown location & workspace.

Cons

-Your expectations from workplaces can get drastically altered after working here. They might rise a bit too high. Seriously though, no real cons that I can think of so far. One issue might be that the open space concept can get distracting at times but there are noise free areas where you can retreat with your laptop.

Developer

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, awesome days you can pick to learn whatever you want, amazing office, Agile process.

Cons

Could be more challenging work, Harder to reach out to management as company grows

May 27, 2015CEO

Glad that you are enjoying your experience with us. Each of us can contribute to building a stronger culture and a stronger Myplanet. Please do get out and get involved in our events and the ... More

5. Young, Vibrant Company.. Lacking Direction and Leadership

I worked at Myplanet full-time

Pros

- Pretty flexible for work hours, work from home if not feeling well, standard benefits, vacation
    - They have a lot of young, talented people working there
    - Office activities and parties

Cons

-The company is young, and so is the leadership team. This is fine, but there is a huge lack of leadership across the entire organization. Mistakes were made, but not learned from, and would continually be made over and over again. This I think is there biggest downfall because it created tension, stress and lots of wasteful meetings. Having a flat org is great to promote ownership across the startup teams, but when I was in need of help I didn't know who to ask.

- Even though they promote flexible work hours, they have a problem with having any type of boundaries for work-life balance. There was always this expectation that you would be online even "after hours" to answer messages. Even on vacation I felt obligated to check my e-mails once and a while. If you have anything going on outside of work, beware that you'll probably spend many late nights at the office. It's the norm.

- The culture at Myplanet suffered after they went on a hiring spree. They were growing too quickly and having a hard time maintaining a good culture. Once you get a couple bad eggs, it can spread throughout the whole org. A lot of things like "hack days" and "beer fridays" were just forgotten about because everyone was so busy.

May 27, 2015CEO

Thank-you for leaving your review, as well as your constructive feedback. It sounds as though our evolution in 2014 (including changes to our organization structure, sales method and offerings) did ... More

6. A cool, healthy family

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You're surrounded by very smart, very creative people; well above the norm.

The company earnestly cares about the personal growth of its employees, while the employees voluntarily reciprocate by seeking out every opportunity to help the company grow. It's a healthy family.

Company values are not just on paper -- they are really adhered to. And to me, the most important company value of all is Humanity.

Cons

Can't think of anything that stands out.

7. Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great management, flexible schedule, fun workplace, great employees

Cons

Projects could be more exciting

Advice to Management

Focus less on explosive growth, more on moving the needle

8. Values-oriented & innovative - a great place to work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Myplanet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Focused on company & employee values, first and foremost
    Working with an incredible range of tier one clients
    Transparent & flat organization
    Great downtown Toronto location
    Work-life balance always considered and plenty of complementary benefits to that

Cons

Lack of clarity on how to grow a career internally
    Company pivots or strategy changes are not always communicated clearly to employees

Advice to Management

Keep focused on values, and the culture that makes Myplanet such a special place to work and grow!

May 27, 2015CEO

Thanks for the feedback and we appreciate that you also share our focus on shared values. It sound like our location, the types of work we are doing, our structure, and the Myplaneteers we hire have ... More

9. Grass roots

I have been working at Myplanet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are members of largely self-organizing teams, and everyone's opinion matters. Friendly coworkers. Big and interesting customers. Early adoption of new technology. Salary is about industry average for Toronto.

Cons

If you can't self-motivate, you'll struggle. Myplanet expects people to manage their own KPIs. Lots of growth over the past couple of years means lots of changes (although things are stabilizing now). Some turnover lately.

May 27, 2015CEO

We’re glad to hear that we continue to foster healthy and high performance teams. We view this as critical to not just a positive work environment, but also to delivering creative and quality product ... More

Choose Your Own Adventure

I have been working at Myplanet

Pros

What sets Myplanet apart from other companies of similar size is their empowerment of employees to actively participate in "choosing their own adventure". This includes influencing what projects are worked on, what processes are used, and contributing to the company culture. In addition to this, it's encouraged across all levels (process, culture, projects, company) to openly provide feedback and your opinion on almost everything.

Other items of note:
      - Appropriate autonomy for both teams and individuals
      - Flexible and Accepting culture (flex hours, beer, dogs, etc)
      - Great building
      - Smart people to work with
      - Awesome remote technology
      - Whiteboards aplenty
      - Great for lovers of design and technology
      - The company is finding it's way in terms of focus and process (which is exciting!)

Cons

No real cons... but several challenges. it's worth noting that most, if not all, of these challenges stem from the company's decision to grow and set themselves up for success. In other words: These would be expected of a company of this size and age.

(1) Company Focus: It has been a bit of a moving target, but we may be onto something now.
    (2) People Management: Given the growing pains, there have been higher than usual turnover and recruiting
    (3) Process: We're trying to find ourselves and how we want to work... and turning that into a process that's repeatable and easy to sell to clients. This is a great move for us, but certain risks are attached in "bucketing" engagements and trying out new approaches

If you're junior and not familiar with organizational change and growth, you should know that the above is expected of any professional services startup that's growing out of "startup" mode. While it can be challenging for some people to be part of this type of environment, it's just as exciting for others as they have the rare ability to contribute to how a company determines its strategy and delivers on the tactics required to achieve it.

Advice to Management

Remain true to our values.
    Continue empowering employees to make their own decisions and have autonomy.
    Never ban dogs.

May 27, 2015CEO

Thanks for providing a comprehensive and honest review. Yes, we agree on the notion that our Myplaneteers can choose their path here at Myplanet… our job is to provide the tools to further their ... More

11. Employee-focused, flat org, trying to push the way work is done.

Current Employee - Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Myplanet full-time

Pros

- flat org
    - focuses on quality and org mission
    - cares about the employees
    - great group of people (socially)
    - always driving employees to skill up

Cons

- professional services can be challenging
    - there are lots of competing interests so it can feel like your speciality is not important at times

RSS Feed </> Embed