Myriad Genetics

Updated Jun 10, 2014

Myriad Genetics President, CEO, and Director Peter D. Meldrum

Peter D. Meldrum

Great work life Balance and Benefits

Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsGreat Benefits, good products and ability to make great commissions.

ConsIt appears to be a lot of favoritism. Not always based on how well you do but rather who you know to advance. Some people are penalized even if they are achieving sales growth while others who are not achieving sales growth are rewarded. This is a sales company and the more you sell should be the focus!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees and don't lose site of the big picture.

It's okay

Lab Technician II (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsI love the flexibility in my work hours.

ConsThe pay and very bad employees

Advice to Senior ManagementFire lazy people who belittle their colleagues and pay the hard workers better

Set you up for failure and lots of yawning

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are smart people work here

ConsNo one cares to bring you up to speed, eventually setting you up for failure. It's impossible to take initiative in anything because there is no creativity here. Management goes through the motions, but could care less about you as a person. Everything feels so shallow and unimportant. Feels like everyone hates their job.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't set people up for failure who would have otherwise been great assets. Get to know your employees more. Seem like you are happy to be here.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

Patient Service Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsTake good care of their employees,

ConsLot's of drama among lower level employees.

Really Good

Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThe people there are nice and fun to work with. There is lots of room for growth. They are hands on with training and try to make sure you know as much as you possibly can before they put you on the computers. Benefits are great. Stalk options.

ConsThey are stingy with raises. There are metrics for raises and the raises aren't that great, and they are only every quarter. You have to be in a position for 9 months before you can move to a new position.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't micro manage. Not many of them do. Try to help your team, or someone on your team grow to a manager if that's what the eventually want to do.

If no desire to move up, would be satisfied

Data Technician (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsSurrounded by well established, and highly educated professionals. Great coworkers, decent benefits, and decent pay considering job responsibilities.

ConsVery difficult to move up career ladder. Management plays "favorites" and depending on which department you begin in can "make or break" you in your desire for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore opportunities to move across departments or upward mobility. Treating all employees equally.

Good Luck

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMost people are hardworking and treat each other fairly. Pay and benefits are very good.

ConsIt is all about performance, if you get it done, you can treat people as poorly as you want, especially if you are in management. Most are fair, a few are way out there.

Great Idea Bad Exicution

Salt Lake City, UT

ProsMyriad is patient centered company where they really do try to make sure that they are giving the best product that they can.

ConsLack of advancement and work/life balance for all. If you are an upper level employee Manager and above then you have it good. If you are below that level you are often at the whim of those above you. Mandatory OT and hiring Temps all the time rather than proper staffing so people can take time off. Almost never promotes from within unless you are a favorite. The revolving door of upper level managers Directors and VP's that are higher from outside that stay just long enough to find something better or send there time alienating other employees that have been here and know how to do there Jobs. Company Culture is all about making a buck as cheap as possible end of quarters usually end with holding back samples so that we don't out do what wall street wants. I would have left if I did not care about the patients and the economy was better.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on internal development of employees they will stay longer and be happier also stop playing favorites. Peters principle is definitely in effect here. I know I am tired of being treated like a Mushroom if you know what I mean. Clear leadership from Pete M. and Mark C would be nice as well. MBOs would be great if they were based on something other then getting my VP there raise for the year while I see mine shrink every year as profits go up.

Overall, I was pleased with my time there and opportunities for advancement.

Scientist II (Former Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsWork/life balance and smart people.

ConsLow pay, distant and out of touch executives

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop objective measures of performance, de-emphasize the boys' club.

Super Repetitive

Laboratory Technician I (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsGood work life balance. Typically work 3 12hr shifts or 4 10hr shifts. Very easy job. Super repetitive.

ConsSuper repetitive, gets boring after a while. Supervisors are not afraid to tell you who there favorite is and treat others unfairly. Other technicians are very clique-y; almost feels like being in high school again.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more professional.

Worked for Myriad Genetics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Myriad Genetics reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Myriad Genetics CEO Peter D. Meldrum. All 42 reviews posted anonymously by Myriad Genetics employees.