Myriad Genetics Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Mark C. Capone
1 Rating

Pros
  • Good pay with good work-life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Decent benefits, good hours, the company itself does a good thing for society (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Overhead upper management constantly refer to techs as monkeys (in 4 reviews)

1. Customer service

Pros

Nice people to work with and they care about us.

Cons

too far and boring job

2. Good company with great benefits, but if you're looking for advancement, then you better be willing to outlast everyone

Current Employee - Lab Technician II in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits Friendly people Beautiful location Close to downtown Clean break rooms and bathrooms Good workout facility with showers Lots of different shifts (day, swing & night) throughout the week.

Cons

Could pay more Weird culture of outlasting everyone and making the right friends for advancement. Being towards the end of the line, you feel ignored and look past at times. Never ask for input from techs.

Advice to Management

Quit giving big raises to VPs and other higher ups, and distribute it to those that need it most.

3. Good experience as long as you don't get stuck.

Former Employee - Lab Technician II in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Lab Technician II in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits Good people Good place to work right out of college to gain work experience to help get your next job

Cons

No room to move up as a lab tech They don't care about keeping you until you quit Experience > competency Traffic on foothill

Advice to Management

Promote from within! Some of the lab techs really know what they're doing and love this company. There is some good talent that is moving elsewhere because you want 5 years in the lab before you'll consider someone for a better job.

marketing

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time

Pros

Great benefits, good products that help people

Cons

must be part of the "in" group to advance. If you were part of that "in" group you would advance fast and far in the company. If you were not, you eventually got pushed out. Hired non- marketing people to run marketing departments, with no understanding of how marketing works. Heavy workloads contribute to the lack of work/life balance at least for the minions, management is constantly on trips/ vacations while others are working hard to make them look good.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites! Recognize good work and reward it. Stop giving your friends promotions and raises and hire people who actually know what they are doing!

6. Great company.

Pros

Great environment. Great benefits. Great culture and values.

Cons

No career advancement opportunities available.

Potential to be great but...

Current Employee - Information Services Tech II in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Information Services Tech II in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I like my coworkers very much. They are good people and very good at their jobs. Company takes care of their sales people. Expectations of them are usually unrealistic but they continue work and perform well. 12 paid holidays, decent benefits (better than average).

Cons

Management is losing touch with employees. They have many good employees that have been promoted beyond their competency. Company is becoming more and more sales focused. It used to be a very employee friendly environment but that has changed a great deal in the eight years I have worked here.

Advice to Management

Business model seems very old-school. Need to modernize their time-off and work from home policies.

Limited opportunity to move up.

Current Employee - Account Executive in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Time off is stellar 3 1/2 weeks vacation and 12 holidays. Stock options and decent healthcare is available. Training is 3 weeks in Utah. Will utilize Insights during training.

Cons

If you don't have a background at Eli Lilly, you will have a difficult time advancing. They do not provide any management training so they manage with "carrots and sticks". They offer a variety of personality assessment tests but the tests are never used by management to motivate.

Advice to Management

You have great talent but you should consider letting individuals return if they leave to better your insight into the industry as most Fortune 500 companies do.

Dead-End Job with no promotion ability, may just be my field

Current Employee - Patient Advocate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Patient Advocate in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits, good hours, the company itself does a good thing for society

Cons

I was told upon being hired that I could move up/move to the Marketing Department after 9 months if they happened to be hiring in Marketing at that time. I took this job basically right out of college with little real world experience, but needed the money, so I shot my chances of getting Marketing experience with the hopes I could transfer after 9 months. 2 years later, HR offers no real help other than to "keep checking the job postings" and does not hire Marketing employees from within. They hire Marketing people with experience. I basically need to start over so I can get on a career path that doesn't limit me to $35 K a year and is actually in the field I want to go into.

Advice to Management

Actually engage with your employees who are looking to build a career with Myriad. I don't want to leave, but you forced me out. I was overqualified when you hired me, you should have just been straight with me and told me that I can't move up without real-world experience, and that my qualifications alone wouldn't be enough for me to move up.

10. It's okay

Current Employee - Lab Technician II in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love the flexibility in my work hours.

Cons

The pay and very bad employees

Advice to Management

Fire lazy people who belittle their colleagues and pay the hard workers better

Good Luck

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time

Pros

Most people are hardworking and treat each other fairly. Pay and benefits are very good.

Cons

It is all about performance, if you get it done, you can treat people as poorly as you want, especially if you are in management. Most are fair, a few are way out there.

RSS Feed </> Embed