Myriad Genetics

Updated December 22, 2014
3.1

Myriad Genetics President, CEO, and Director Peter D. Meldrum
Peter D. Meldrum

Pros
  • Another very important was that Myriad used to value work-life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Decent benefits, good hours, the company itself does a good thing for society (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Overhead upper management constantly refer to techs as monkeys (in 4 reviews)

• Not a lot of opportunities for career growth (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Profit over people, if that wasn't already famous.

Current Employee - Patient Advocate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Patient Advocate in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You help cancer patients get access to a really expensive genetic test.

Cons

Management treats employees like slaves. This includes mandatory overtime on weekends. It's a pretty counterproductive idea as employees are miserable already. Sorry about your family life, but it's the end of the quarter and we need $$$$.

Figure out where you actually lose revenue. Look deeper in your processes. A lot of improvement needs to be made. A lot of waste happens due to 20 years of hiring bad employees and not caring, but it's time for a makeover. Do YOU know what's going on in customer service? Do YOU know what's causing tests to be cancelled? Do you know what it takes to get a test paid for?

Headed on a downward spiral.

Current Employee - Patient Service Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Patient Service Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I agree with the below comment; the view of the mountains.

Cons

-Bureaucratic structure with layers of management - from regional managers to department managers down to team supervisors. This, along with mandates for compliance, takes precedence over doing the right thing. It discourages change and cripples improvement. You may ask "Why do we do it this way?" The answer is often, "We've always done it this way." Forget creativity. Forget talent. Forget improvement.

-Micromanagement is crazy and is implemented with a command and control leadership style. Employees are treated like numbers. No one cares if you fall off the face of the earth. You're replaceable. We don't need you.

-Bonuses and rewards are given equally to everyone. And tenure precedes performance. Just another way to promote mediocrity and high turnover.

-Because management is so stuck in the past and resistant to changes, lots of processes (basically anything done on the phone or computer) is outdated. This is 2013, not 1992!!

Tenure Suppresses Talent:

Just because “Employee A” has performed a task longer than “Employee B” doesn’t necessarily mean that “A” is more skilled than “B.” Furthermore, just because “A” has been with the company longer than “B”, doesn’t necessarily mean that “A” possesses more talent, upside, knowledge, or adds more value than “B.” When an organization promotes based upon tenure, and not based upon recognition of talent, merit, performance, etc., the company is not leveraging its true talent base. Not recognizing, developing, and rewarding talent is the fastest way I know of to drive talent out of your organization and directly into the hands of your competition.

Terrible Place to work

Former Employee - Patient Service Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Patient Service Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The beautiful view from your work station.

Cons

Micro management, favortism for the employees they like. Work long hours, work faster, time lines given. The computers and phones need to be updated and make sure they work properly. If they like you it will be a somewhat good career. If you are not part of the management group prepare to be miserable !

Treat all employees equally. Notice the employees working hard and that are not in the BIG boys club.

Myriad Genetics is a miserable place to work

Former Employee - Scientist II in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Scientist II in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Myriad Genetics

Pros

Salt Lake City is a great place to live

Cons

No career growth, Extremely slow promotion rate, promotions given on a 10% quota and tenure basis, not on merit. Management gives themselves 100 fold more stock options then mid level employees.

Promotions should be given on merit. Stock options should be more equally distributed to employees to incentivize them to actually work. The atmosphere mgmt has created breeds laziness, distrust, and bitterness

Stepping Stone

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Myriad Genetics

Pros

Great if you're going to school and need a job in a scientific laboratory for experience.

Cons

Upward mobility opportunities limited. Pay is not great considering how much company is making. Benefits are ok at best.

Do more to keep good employees. Reevaluate wage scale compared to rest of industry.

Lab tech in main lab

Former Employee - Lab Technician II in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Lab Technician II in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Paid the bills. Most of the other techs were awesome

Cons

Very very high turnover. Management actively pushed senior techs out to keep costs down. Training was minimal and mistakes harshly punished. Overhead upper management constantly refer to techs as monkeys

Get to know the techs. Stop saying that monkeys can do our jobs

Set you up for failure and lots of yawning

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time

Pros

There are smart people work here

Cons

No one cares to bring you up to speed, eventually setting you up for failure. It's impossible to take initiative in anything because there is no creativity here. Management goes through the motions, but could care less about you as a person. Everything feels so shallow and unimportant. Feels like everyone hates their job.

Don't set people up for failure who would have otherwise been great assets. Get to know your employees more. Seem like you are happy to be here.

Great Idea Bad Exicution

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time

Pros

Myriad is patient centered company where they really do try to make sure that they are giving the best product that they can.

Cons

Lack of advancement and work/life balance for all. If you are an upper level employee Manager and above then you have it good. If you are below that level you are often at the whim of those above you. Mandatory OT and hiring Temps all the time rather than proper staffing so people can take time off. Almost never promotes from within unless you are a favorite. The revolving door of upper level managers Directors and VP's that are higher from outside that stay just long enough to find something better or send there time alienating other employees that have been here and know how to do there Jobs. Company Culture is all about making a buck as cheap as possible end of quarters usually end with holding back samples so that we don't out do what wall street wants. I would have left if I did not care about the patients and the economy was better.

Focus on internal development of employees they will stay longer and be happier also stop playing favorites. Peters principle is definitely in effect here. I know I am tired of being treated like a Mushroom if you know what I mean. Clear leadership from Pete M. and Mark C would be nice as well. MBOs would be great if they were based on something other then getting my VP there raise for the year while I see mine shrink every year as profits go up.

Decent, but you can likely find better

Current Employee - Lab Technician I in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Lab Technician I in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good coworkers, supervisors are nice

Cons

Starting out with no benefits for 6 months and then having lower than average pay makes you feel cheated, especially for how hard they work you. No paid holidays, no paid time off as well until your 6 months are up. They treat temps rather poorly

6 month contract work makes you feel like you're not a part of the company and they don't really care about you

Not Committed to Employees

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits
    Work/Life balance
    Exciting industry
    Most employees care about patient care

Cons

Not committed to train and retain talent
    Poor compensation, unless your on the executive team
    Executives do not care about employees
    No career growth