Myriad Genetics Reviews

Updated August 20, 2014

2.9

Myriad Genetics President, CEO, and Director Peter D. Meldrum
Peter D. Meldrum

Dead-End Job with no promotion ability, may just be my field

Current Employee - Patient Advocate  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Patient Advocate in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent benefits, good hours, the company itself does a good thing for society

Cons

I was told upon being hired that I could move up/move to the Marketing Department after 9 months if they happened to be hiring in Marketing at that time. I took this job basically right out of college with little real world experience, but needed the money, so I shot my chances of getting Marketing experience with the hopes I could transfer after 9 months. 2 years later, HR offers no real help other than to "keep checking the job postings" and does not hire Marketing employees from within. They hire Marketing people with experience. I basically need to start over so I can get on a career path that doesn't limit me to $35 K a year and is actually in the field I want to go into.

Actually engage with your employees who are looking to build a career with Myriad. I don't want to leave, but you forced me out. I was overqualified when you hired me, you should have just been straight with me and told me that I can't move up without real-world experience, and that my qualifications alone wouldn't be enough for me to move up.

Lab tech in main lab

Former Employee - Lab Technician II  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Lab Technician II in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Paid the bills. Most of the other techs were awesome

Cons

Very very high turnover. Management actively pushed senior techs out to keep costs down. Training was minimal and mistakes harshly punished. Overhead upper management constantly refer to techs as monkeys

Get to know the techs. Stop saying that monkeys can do our jobs

It's okay

Current Employee - Lab Technician II  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Lab Technician II in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I love the flexibility in my work hours.

Cons

The pay and very bad employees

Fire lazy people who belittle their colleagues and pay the hard workers better

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Set you up for failure and lots of yawning

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time

Pros

There are smart people work here

Cons

No one cares to bring you up to speed, eventually setting you up for failure. It's impossible to take initiative in anything because there is no creativity here. Management goes through the motions, but could care less about you as a person. Everything feels so shallow and unimportant. Feels like everyone hates their job.

Don't set people up for failure who would have otherwise been great assets. Get to know your employees more. Seem like you are happy to be here.

Great work life Balance and Benefits

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Benefits, good products and ability to make great commissions.

Cons

It appears to be a lot of favoritism. Not always based on how well you do but rather who you know to advance. Some people are penalized even if they are achieving sales growth while others who are not achieving sales growth are rewarded. This is a sales company and the more you sell should be the focus!!!!!

Listen to the employees and don't lose site of the big picture.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Patient Service Coordinator  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Patient Service Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time

Pros

Take good care of their employees,

Cons

Lot's of drama among lower level employees.

Great Idea Bad Exicution

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time

Pros

Myriad is patient centered company where they really do try to make sure that they are giving the best product that they can.

Cons

Lack of advancement and work/life balance for all. If you are an upper level employee Manager and above then you have it good. If you are below that level you are often at the whim of those above you. Mandatory OT and hiring Temps all the time rather than proper staffing so people can take time off. Almost never promotes from within unless you are a favorite. The revolving door of upper level managers Directors and VP's that are higher from outside that stay just long enough to find something better or send there time alienating other employees that have been here and know how to do there Jobs. Company Culture is all about making a buck as cheap as possible end of quarters usually end with holding back samples so that we don't out do what wall street wants. I would have left if I did not care about the patients and the economy was better.

Focus on internal development of employees they will stay longer and be happier also stop playing favorites. Peters principle is definitely in effect here. I know I am tired of being treated like a Mushroom if you know what I mean. Clear leadership from Pete M. and Mark C would be nice as well. MBOs would be great if they were based on something other then getting my VP there raise for the year while I see mine shrink every year as profits go up.

Good Luck

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time

Pros

Most people are hardworking and treat each other fairly. Pay and benefits are very good.

Cons

It is all about performance, if you get it done, you can treat people as poorly as you want, especially if you are in management. Most are fair, a few are way out there.

Really Good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people there are nice and fun to work with. There is lots of room for growth. They are hands on with training and try to make sure you know as much as you possibly can before they put you on the computers. Benefits are great. Stalk options.

Cons

They are stingy with raises. There are metrics for raises and the raises aren't that great, and they are only every quarter. You have to be in a position for 9 months before you can move to a new position.

Don't micro manage. Not many of them do. Try to help your team, or someone on your team grow to a manager if that's what the eventually want to do.

If no desire to move up, would be satisfied

Current Employee - Data Technician  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Data Technician in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Surrounded by well established, and highly educated professionals. Great coworkers, decent benefits, and decent pay considering job responsibilities.

Cons

Very difficult to move up career ladder. Management plays "favorites" and depending on which department you begin in can "make or break" you in your desire for advancement.

More opportunities to move across departments or upward mobility. Treating all employees equally.

Worked for Myriad Genetics? Contribute to the Community!