Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel

Updated Mar 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Edward Stevenson

Its a very big company with many perks for thwir employeeswe are one big family

Blackjack Dealer (Current Employee)
Prior Lake, MN

I have been working at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel part-time for more than a year

ProsLots of hours, perks and many coworkers

ConsThey open 365 days per year so its hard to celebrate holidays at home with the family

An employer that values people

User Support Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel

ProsThe benefits are incredible, if you avail yourself of them.

ConsThe SMSC is in the middle. of. nowhere., so it's quite the commute from anywhere.

Great place to work

I have been working at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel

ProsMy experience - Very flexible, and comfortable working environment. If you choose to pursue them, there are plenty of opportunities to receive free training on site that relates to your position. Management encourages continuous learning and challenges employees to improve in their position, yet provides a helping hand when needed.

ConsThe only thing I can think of - long walk to the employee parking lot from the casino.

I am very proud to be a member of the Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel employment team

I have been working at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel

Pros-All of the employees are nice to one another, it is a very friendly environment
- The hours are perfect for me, and they are very flexible in making my hours fit in with the rest of my life
- I get paid very well for the work I do, and my benifits are great for me and my family
- I get treated very well, they make me feel like I am a valuble asset to the company
-You meet a lot of fun people while working there

Cons- It's very busy on the weekends, it gets stressful at times
- They have a point system if you are late or call in, which isn't very bad, I am just not used to it

Advice to Senior Management- I can not offer any advice to managment, i think they are doing a fine job, they are running one of the largest Casinos in Minnesota, and I give them two thumbs up for doing a spectacular job

Great Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel

ProsMystic Lake and the entire group of SMSC GE enterprises place a tremendous amount of caring for their team members. Its a great place to work with folks across broad professional levels. The senior management team does a good job in leading the organization and demonstrates the values they talk about in their interactions with the team.

ConsSometimes the "gambling" side of the business is over-emphasized by others outside the organization. It truly is about entertainment and value for the dollar. Unfortunately, not everyone recognizes this distinction when you interact with them and discuss where you work.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leadership team is solid at Mystic Lake. Clearly articulating goals and objectives is key to aligning team members with desired results. Continue with remodeling plans and keep the smoke to a minimum.

Opportunities

I have been working at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel

ProsGreat Benefits, lots of opportunities to learn

ConsVery strict rules, more than I was used to coming in. A lot of non-traditional work hours needed to put in above and beyond your regular hours. Management lacks a sense of planning, always constantly feeling reactive rather than proactive.Management openly shows they have favorites. Many departments seem to have a lot of wasteful positions with little to do expect to play candy crush on their iphones.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to be more neutral with employees, it makes morale go down when it seems like they go to the same favorites under them. Sometimes one questions what is really going on.

No complaints

Business Intelligence Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel full-time for less than a year

ProsDecent salary and benefits. I worked back in the business office and not on the floor, but Mystic Lake seems to take care of it's employees at all levels.

ConsA bit short on the PTO. There is a weird vibe with working at a casino.

Great co-workers at the Slot Department. Abusive co-worker at the Blackjack office but management allows her.

Human Resources Staff (Current Employee)
Prior Lake, MN

I have been working at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMost co-workers are supportive. We are in the same boat. Good place to work if you want to end gambling addiction and don't want to go far to gamble. Good career advancement if you have other skills and education.

ConsThey declare their own holiday. Special events is a holiday - you need to be there or you will get a ticket out next time. Real holidays are not paid holiday pays and you need to work if it is not your day off!

Advice to Senior ManagementThe white managers and some white co-workers are the worst ones; the American Indian co-workers and managers are the BEST ones. The tribe should instill courtesy and respect like the American Indians do, and not let the white managers allow abuses from employees of other races. After all, it is an American Indian employer. The tribe should look at all the terminations the white managers approved of. If they do, they will see that employees are being terminated because of they spoke of abuses of white co-workers (like a white employee that takes numerous and long smoke breaks! and verbally abuse co-workers!). I saw that some American Indian employees were treated badly by white co-workers and if you side with the American Indian employee, you will get fired! Someone got fired for being a friend of the American Indian employee. The white supervisor, white manager, and white employee all conspired to get rid of her so that she could not say or do anything about their abuses. That is how bad it is because everyone in the department knows how abusive the white employee is, yet no one in the management side would want to do anything about her abuses. The good worker American Indian and people who support this person is the one that is being "picked on" - and fired!

Exciting and energetic atmosphere. Lots of great benefits and a very diverse team of employees at Mystic Lake.

Slot Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood pay and great benefits. You will meet lots of great people as they have a large workforce in the service industry.

ConsWork weekends and nights and holidays.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time on team building. Felt that coworkers used to be closer but drifted apart apart during my tenure of almost 10 years.

One of a kind experience

Auditor (Former Employee)

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTeam members are wonderful to get to know and the benefits are wonderful

ConsSwing and Grave hours are tough but working in the Gaming industry you first start out with the odd hours until you are able to switch the hours you would like.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you say something, follow through on what you say and do not just apply it to certain team members, apply it to everyone.

Worked for Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel CEO Edward Stevenson. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel employees.