Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel

Edward Stevenson

They are never happy

Former Employee - Facilities Custodian in Prior Lake, MN
    Former Employee - Facilities Custodian in Prior Lake, MN

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits are nice,a lot of great shows in the Showroom. Most of my co-workers were okay.

Cons

Takes two-months for health and dental to kick in, bosses don't work with employees, transparency is thin, the supervisors can't make up their minds. I wouldn't even send my worst enemy to this place if he was looking for a job. Just when things are going good it's no you are doing it wrong.
    Can't talk to anyone even for a little bit or the boss gets mad.

Quit worrying you will get fired and maybe there won't be one person running the casino.

Managers make up their own rules!!!!

Former Employee - Low Class Minion
    Former Employee - Low Class Minion

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are no Pros to this place unless you are a favorite little minion or you're native. If you are great at the arts known as ass kissing, brown nosing, backstabbing, and being as fake as possible you will thrive and go far in this company regardless of your guest service, or years of hard work and dedication to this company.

Cons

Parking in employee lot is horrible, and they cut shuttle service so if you are running late, you have to run a mile+ just to get into the building. All managers have HUGE EGOS, love to make up their own rules, abuse employees, talk bad about employees, and the list could go on forever. If you are native you can pretty much do whatever you want, your White managers are afraid of you :) take advantage of it!!! Most of them are people that have NO education and came in from the ground up. NO holiday pay and since when is the Chinese New Year a holiday in America? I've worked for 2 different departments and each has it's own rules on company policy and one even told me they hold high standards and follow the policy of the company to the written word, but yet do not base shifts or hours on seniority but rather by performance. So 7 years with a company has no baring when it comes to a new employee being hired and getting better hours and days off. To wrap this up because I could go on and write a book about it, Management in a nutshell SUCKS and the words condescending hypocrites are the first 2 that come to mind. Some departments have many supervisors and managers and you will find that even though it is not written in any company policy had book, that you will be required to remember each one of their different set up policies and procedures that they make up to suit their own needs. Basically they are all idiots who got lucky and know how to kiss ass extremely well.

Send all your managers to "lets all get on the same page and treat people that work hard with respect" school

Stuck In High School

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Prior Lake, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Prior Lake, MN

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of PTO, but that's about it.

Cons

Difficult to get days off, no holiday pay, the other employees are horrendous (yes, 99% of the 4,000 employees!), employee food costs have tripled, and both management and community members treat employees like dirt.

No, advice to the board of directors - wipe out all management from CEO down to middle management. FYI, you should probably also hire VP's who have a degree.

Bad company

Current Employee - Facilities Custodian in Prior Lake, MN
    Current Employee - Facilities Custodian in Prior Lake, MN

I have been working at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Health Care was decent and the PTO amount was decent. They gave a sort of bonus at Christmas a big old whopping $20 gift card. Pay was adequate!

Cons

Smoke filled environment and if you are not Native American Good Luck getting treated fairly! No such thing as a Holiday. Expected to work every Holiday or grave consequences like mucho attendance points. No opportunities for advancement and if you get injured on the job you are considered a liability and risk and they try to get rid of you as fast as they can. In addition they offer little care when you are injured. You are not allowed to see a provider outside of their clinic. They also do no extra tests like an MRI or a CT Scan. I had a torn rotator cuff and all they did was PT which made it worse.

Treat the employees like assets rather than expendable and unimportant.

Clueless at the top!!!

Former Employee - Marketing in Prior Lake, MN
    Former Employee - Marketing in Prior Lake, MN

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, consistent annual pay raises, nice coworkers, training available

Cons

Open 24/7/365 so you never get holidays off, weekends off, and trying to have a work/life balance is impossible. The Directors and VP's take all the credit and when they feel threatened by someone who actually knows what they're doing, they fire them, or find a way to fire them. I've seen a revolving door in the marketing division, and the entertainment department has gone way downhill -- the place has become very very trashy. Which is funny, because when I first started, they were trying to change their image... they just went full circle... probably because they hired a really poor, education less director back to their staff.

Clean house from the top down. That's how you will change your image. The Board of Directors and Business Council really need to open their eyes to see what's truly happening and not just rely on their executive team to relay the information. Your tribe is in trouble if you keep going along the path you are on. Shifting people to difference positions because you like them, is not how you keep a business growing.

Great Buildup, Then comes buddy system politics.

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel part-time

Pros

Had some really nice people for the introduction phase, the pay plus tips (for those who get tips) is usually fairly good for all on the floor. Those working full time get decent benefit options. Can be a bit fun at times to work there. Good or bad, it's a learning experience.

Cons

The leadership (direct superiors) has no issue with showing favoritism, positive or negative, if they don't like you (regardless of job performance etc), you won't want to stay. The compensation isn't worth the negative aspects some have to put up with which is part of why they have a high turnover rate. Helps if you're Native even if superiors are not.

Not that they would take it, but they could supervise their dept heads a bit better on P&P guidelines and how they should apply to everyone.

Starts off fun, but gets old fast

Current Employee - Server in Prior Lake, MN
    Current Employee - Server in Prior Lake, MN

I have been working at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and employee opportunities. Meet tons of fascinating people and a lot of employees and super nice and fun. Clean building.

Cons

Stressful. No holidays off or holiday pay bonuses, guests can be difficult or unreasonable. Managers (Minnehaha Cafe) are unprofessional and power hungry. Employees pay full price for restaurant food because we have our own employee restaurant, but food sucks at 3 in the morning. Community members are allowed to disrespect and treat you poorly. Christmas bonus is a $40 gift card (which is great, but given that the change found on the casino floor daily is more than a person's entire paycheck.) If you work in a restaurant and someone walks out without paying, security will most likely not find them.

Treat employees with respect instead of condescending them. We're human beings and deserve that much.

my boss micro managed and did a horrible job! Very unfair to all employee's in that department!

Former Employee - Fiance Department in Prior Lake, MN
    Former Employee - Fiance Department in Prior Lake, MN

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel

Pros

The benny's are absolutely great!

Cons

The management at the casino's needs to be taken and given a class on how to respect their employees. They are very disrespectful towards the employee's after good and happy employee's makes for better business and happier customers!

Start over...they are old and very set in their ways!! They are very un-knowledged on the rules and operations of the day to day business. She changed the rules to save her own butt as she saw fit! Then playing the dumb card that she didn't know it was changed!! I feel the tribe needs to get into the operations more frequently and really take a look at how some of the managers treat their BEST employee's. When a pat on the back award is given for Outstanding customer service to the department manager she then in turn would change it on us and write us up saying she received complaints. Funny when the CEO congratulated you and you told him you were written up instead of being praised! Imagine the look on his face!

Pissed poor employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Prior Lake, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Prior Lake, MN

I have been working at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel

Pros

benes are the only good thing

Cons

They do not empower employees or respect them unless you are Native American.

Promote qualified employees not employees based on being Native American race. Promote HR managers according to education not favoritism. And halt double standards. Treat employees with respect and keep info confidential don't divulge info when an employee goes to HR.

Marketing representative working promotions, special events and managing projects. Very busy job.

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel

Pros

Fun giving away large sums of money.

Cons

I struggled with the ethics of it. I felt at times like I was stealing people's social security checks. Great health, dental benefits. Exceptional time off, but it was difficult to use it because things are so busy and you are always on a timeline.

Work on building up the skills, talents of your staff.