Mythic Entertainment
www.mythicentertainment.com Fairfax, VA

Mythic Entertainment Reviews

Not yet rated.

Mark Jacobs

Working there was a dream come true.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Mythic Entertainment

ProsGreat company and great people.

ConsIn the midst of a transition but still an exciting time.

Better than ever - and back to its roots

Production (Current Employee)

I have been working at Mythic Entertainment full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIn the past year, Mythic has been revitalized, re-energized, and created a great new atmosphere for employees.

As a small part of Electronic Arts, it has all the perks of the small indie studio atmosphere (flat management, personal attention to employee needs, and great camaraderie) with the benefits of a being a part of one of the biggest companies in the industry (the ability to work with people at studios all over the world, presence at the big game conferences in a big way, and great benefits).

A combination of game studio veterans and those new to the business - Mythic supports the growth of individual employees and offers a lot of unique opportunities - while maintaining the kind of atmosphere that you would want and expect from a video game company.

ConsWe're not close enough to EA headquarters (which is both good and bad) but it means we're not always recognized like some of the bigger studios.

Still have to deal with corporate bureaucracy, which manifests as a lot of paperwork - but not all that often.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up with the positive atmosphere and changes.

It can be difficult to manage all of your employees' needs, but maintaining a good relationship with your staff makes it easier for us to communicate concerns and feel like we're being heard.

Mythic went through a transformation...

I have been working at Mythic Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI've been at Mythic a few years, and this is a totally different studio than it was when I started. The structure of the teams are different, smaller with shorter project cycles. Management also went through a pretty huge restructuring and it has made a world of difference. Pretty much every aspect of the studio is stronger and it feels like we're finally ready to win. The culture is brilliant, I can't think of people I'd rather work with... I can say that last summer I was looking to move on from mythic... things were bad for a number of reasons but I'm so glad I stayed on. I don't blame any of the negative reviews below, they were accurate for the time, but this place has gone through a transformation and there's no other place in the industry I'd rather work.

The benefits are sweet too.

ConsFairfax, Virginia. That's where the studio is. It's not a bad place... its actually quite nice... not a whole lot going on...

Unless you're lucky/senior you probably aren't going to have much say at all in the types of games that are made, but that's the case with any major studio.

Mythic has been almost everything I could have asked from it.

I have been working at Mythic Entertainment full-time for more than a year

ProsAs some of the earlier reviews can attest, Mythic has gone through dynamic change recently--and it has emerged far the better for it. The studio is active and agile, and the leadership is trying very hard to be transparent. It is easier here than any place I have worked to expand one's role and try new ideas. The management hierarchy is very flat; there's not a lot of middle management, which means that communication is usually very clear. There is a strong sense of working together.

ConsMythic is now a mobile studio, and anyone who is looking to make the kind of games Mythic used to make (large-scale MMOs) should think twice. Also, because the studio's structure recently changed, things are moving very quickly and it can be difficult to keep up with all that's going on. All signs point to this being temporary, though.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe new direction is solid and sound, and a far departure from the Mythic of three years ago. Keep it up!

Bidding BioWare Mythic a sad farewell

Accountant (Former Employee)
Fairfax, VA

I worked at Mythic Entertainment as a contractor for more than a year

ProsToday was my last day at BioWare Mythic (aka Mythic Entertainment). I left because I am relocating out of state. I truly enjoyed my job. I looked forward to going to work. My co-workers were friendly and always helpful if I needed something. The work atmosphere is relaxed - one that promotes creativity which is really needed in this industry. I think the employees feel like a team and truly work together. I will miss working there and miss the people.

ConsHmmmm.... to be quite honest, I can't think of one.

Once a great studio that held family-like values that has since been absorbed by the corporate machine"

Producer (Former Employee)

I worked at Mythic Entertainment full-time for more than 10 years

Pros- It has a history of being a small studio that accomplished big things that others had once scoffed at. Dark Age of Camelot was the best thing they ever did and is still an icon in the MMOG industry.
- Located in beautiful Fairfax, Virginia

Cons- Upper management has never taken responsibility for their decisions.
- Studio has been in decline over the past few years

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to take responsibility for failings, not just the credit for success.

It is not all fun and games!

QA Technician (Former Employee)

I worked at Mythic Entertainment

ProsLots of company swag.
Studios events and outings
Worked with some good people

ConsHire people who not only love games but have other skills that can help the company grow and innovate.
Tell people the truth from the beginning, no one likes a surprise that puts their job and personal life at risk.
Management and Upper management were not on the same page and the employees suffered.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your people. Show interest in them and they will do the same for you. Compensate your talent so they remain your talent.

Mythic is a nice break from a real workplace.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Mythic Entertainment

ProsMythic is a great place for young people interested in the games industry. Lots of freedom to creative and innovate. Constant exposure to the gamer subculture, and a general encouragement from management to know the industry. Pre-launch, Mythic was free with its perks and little bonuses. Post-launch, perhaps not so much. Still, the basis for an enjoyable and low pressure work environment is there, though it sometimes does cost many additional working hours. While you're working, however, it's hard to complain. Backed by EA, Mythic has considerably more stability than other game companies, though double zero is still zero. Can you dig it?

ConsEssentially a day-care center for creative adults. Sketchy business model results in decisions made based on customer and VP whims rather than sound principles. There is a distinct lack of communication between VPs, through the director level, and down to the grunts. VPs can sometimes play one team off another, or are downright duplicitous. They expect employees to fight for their projects and teams, rather than have clear directives pushed down to the various departments so they can work together toward a common goal. Cooperation is not fostered.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake away Mark Jacobs' internet access.

It was great to work with the IPs, and be a part of the EA family, however management wasn't strong.

Customer Support Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Mythic Entertainment full-time for more than a year

ProsFun Ips, people, benefits, perks, location

ConsWeak culture, unpopular products, unprofessional management

Advice to Senior ManagementHold management accountable for performance, and start layoffs with the people in charge of direction and critical decision making.

Senior management needs to get it together.

I have been working at Mythic Entertainment

ProsVery flexible work schedule in some departments.
Great culture.
Good environment to push yourself.
Very talented individuals across all levels.
Free games (kinda).

ConsVery rigid work schedule in some departments.
Poor leadership across the board.
Poor communication throughout the company.
Revolving door for CEO, which seems to equate to a lack of direction for the studio as a whole.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake your employees pulse and listen. Clean out management and get some fresh minds in place. Above all, try to remember how it all started.

Worked for Mythic Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mythic Entertainment reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Mythic Entertainment CEO Mark Jacobs . All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Mythic Entertainment employees.