Mythic Entertainment

Updated September 8, 2014
Updated September 8, 2014
4.8

Mark Jacobs

Great place to work. Excellent company and culture.

I worked at Mythic Entertainment

Pros

Great Culture. Everyone is friendly and gets along well. All levels of management are accessible and listen to suggestions from employees.

Cons

Studio was shut down, so you can't work there any more.

Missed Opportunities

I worked at Mythic Entertainment full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Friendly Work Environment, Good Communication, GM available and open with employees, Encouraged Self Directed Work

Cons

Lack of Originality, Chasing What is "Hot", Confused Project Direction, Internal Politics, nepotism

Was once was a great company up until EA purchased them it went down hill. Now the company has been closed.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Mythic Entertainment full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good Healthcare, Good Perks (free games, casual dress). Pretty Flexible when it comes to work hours. Fun Team outings, bowling, picnics etc.

Cons

Upper management throws everyone else under the bus to make them look better in the eyes of the Mothership (AKA EA). People who were in charge of failed projects ended up being promoted while the worker bees were fired or laid off.

Stop kissing butt to EA and listen to your employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

RIP

Former Employee - Developer  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Developer in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Mythic Entertainment full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

An amazing place in its heyday, when the projects were big and ambitious. The DAoC/WAR-era studio was fantastic, with massively talented people and a real desire to make great games that the world was excited to play.

Cons

A combination of bad luck and bad management slowly killed things off. By the time we fixed the major problems, the damage was done. EA lost interest in us eventually and we never got to work on AAA products again. I think we all saw the end coming for years, but it was still sad when it finally happened.

Sadly, the studio is now dead.

pretty great

Former Employee - Concept Artist  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Concept Artist in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Mythic Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

awesome art staff, great place for a fresh concept artist to work. all the overtime you can work. Thumbs up.

Cons

Really, really low pay. But i was just starting out, so maybe it wasnt that bad in retrospect. Company didnt appreciate warhammer as an IP.

Was a great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Mythic Entertainment full-time

Pros

Culture, co-workers, the projects that we were working on, Wednesday breakfast food, camaraderie, the dress code. IT was a great place to work, I am sorry that I could not work there longer.

Cons

They closed the studio, so there is that.

Sure there were ups and downs, decisions that I didn't agree with, but all in all, I liked the management that I had to interact with there

A Studio like no other....

I worked at Mythic Entertainment for more than 8 years

Pros

Though the Studio had its ups and downs, it always kept its chin up and it's team showed an uncanny resiliency to hardship. It felt as though in the last 2 years the Studio was rising out of the ashes like a Phoenix, working hard and 100% committing to the mobile space. Team morale, commitment and passion were at all time highs. The culture and dynamic were second to none in the EA family of Studios. I'll always have a special place in my heart for the Studio and all the incredible people!

Cons

I would be lying if I was to say that there were never issues, no place is without, but to point out shortcomings now, doesn't feel right. Mythic was very special.

A special plac

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Mythic Entertainment full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Mythic was acquired by EA due to the huge commercial success of DAoC. Since then Mythic has done amazing things. Warhammer was a AAA mmo and without Mythic SWTOR could still be in production. While EA had all of its eggs in the SWTOR basket no investment was being made in future projects at Mythic. U4E became messy, a game originally intended for mobile and meddled with by both Bioware and the mobile group. Great things were being done at Mythic when we moved forward and launched Dungeon Keeper. Mythic had great leadership, creative minds, and very technically proficient people. It is a travesty that it does not exist anymore.

Cons

Lack of support from corporate. Warhammer Wrath of Heroes could have been a MOBA of the same caliber as League of Legends. Corporate would not market it and thus it did not get out of beta. This is just one example out of many of how there was no corporate support.

Re-open Mythic.

How can anyplace else compete?

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Mythic Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Mythic was a team -- a family -- of talented, motivated people working TOGETHER to try and create great games. We were honest with each other, we gave each other advice, and we looked after one another, rather than squabbling or trying to one-up each other for the next promotion.

Cons

My understanding is this: in a large public company, stock prices go up when people get laid off.

Write a book about culture & management, because based on these 5-star reviews, whatever you did worked.

Amazing Studio

Former Employee - Software Engineer II  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Mythic Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

Mythic is by far the best development studio I've ever worked at. It had an amazing atmosphere and culture that promoted a healthy, motivated team. The management genuinely cared about the employees. The studio was full of talent and I learned a lot while working there.

Cons

Can't think of any. I really think it was ran well and enjoyed going into work

Worked for Mythic Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!