Mythic Entertainment

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Mark Jacobs

RIP

Developer (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsAn amazing place in its heyday, when the projects were big and ambitious. The DAoC/WAR-era studio was fantastic, with massively talented people and a real desire to make great games that the world was excited to play.

ConsA combination of bad luck and bad management slowly killed things off. By the time we fixed the major problems, the damage was done. EA lost interest in us eventually and we never got to work on AAA products again. I think we all saw the end coming for years, but it was still sad when it finally happened.

Advice to Senior ManagementSadly, the studio is now dead.

Was a great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsCulture, co-workers, the projects that we were working on, Wednesday breakfast food, camaraderie, the dress code. IT was a great place to work, I am sorry that I could not work there longer.

ConsThey closed the studio, so there is that.

Advice to Senior ManagementSure there were ups and downs, decisions that I didn't agree with, but all in all, I liked the management that I had to interact with there

A Studio like no other....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThough the Studio had its ups and downs, it always kept its chin up and it's team showed an uncanny resiliency to hardship. It felt as though in the last 2 years the Studio was rising out of the ashes like a Phoenix, working hard and 100% committing to the mobile space. Team morale, commitment and passion were at all time highs. The culture and dynamic were second to none in the EA family of Studios. I'll always have a special place in my heart for the Studio and all the incredible people!

ConsI would be lying if I was to say that there were never issues, no place is without, but to point out shortcomings now, doesn't feel right. Mythic was very special.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A special plac

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsMythic was acquired by EA due to the huge commercial success of DAoC. Since then Mythic has done amazing things. Warhammer was a AAA mmo and without Mythic SWTOR could still be in production. While EA had all of its eggs in the SWTOR basket no investment was being made in future projects at Mythic. U4E became messy, a game originally intended for mobile and meddled with by both Bioware and the mobile group. Great things were being done at Mythic when we moved forward and launched Dungeon Keeper. Mythic had great leadership, creative minds, and very technically proficient people. It is a travesty that it does not exist anymore.

ConsLack of support from corporate. Warhammer Wrath of Heroes could have been a MOBA of the same caliber as League of Legends. Corporate would not market it and thus it did not get out of beta. This is just one example out of many of how there was no corporate support.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-open Mythic.

How can anyplace else compete?

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsMythic was a team -- a family -- of talented, motivated people working TOGETHER to try and create great games. We were honest with each other, we gave each other advice, and we looked after one another, rather than squabbling or trying to one-up each other for the next promotion.

ConsMy understanding is this: in a large public company, stock prices go up when people get laid off.

Advice to Senior ManagementWrite a book about culture & management, because based on these 5-star reviews, whatever you did worked.

Amazing Studio

Software Engineer II (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsMythic is by far the best development studio I've ever worked at. It had an amazing atmosphere and culture that promoted a healthy, motivated team. The management genuinely cared about the employees. The studio was full of talent and I learned a lot while working there.

ConsCan't think of any. I really think it was ran well and enjoyed going into work

The last two years were great

Content Designer (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsIt felt like a startup, the team was highly energized. The leadership was totally transparent. Leadership was very human, went out of their way to protect and help the staff.

Consbeing totally unloved by EARS

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it real

Mythic is awesome

ProsMythic was a great place to work and had an awesome culture. The people were great

ConsIt was difficult for a studio with the history of Mythic to be part of a larger company. That's not a knock on EA, just the reality of the type of studio Mythic is and wanted to be.

Great studio

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsAmazing studio culture, laid back and relaxed, but results driven. Easy to have candid conversations with all levels up management straight up to the top, everyone's accessible.

ConsStill have corporate overlords fiddling with bits.

Love you Paul

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThank you for making everyday a day to remember. Everyone one of us is a better person and professional because of your leadership and guidance. You fought for us and we honestly couldn't have asked for a better GM.

ConsAs of 5.29.2014 Mythic is no longer open.

Worked for Mythic Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!