Mzinga

Be The First To
Add Photos

Alan F. Nugent

Great place to work

ProsSuper office culture, casual dress, smart people who are also fun.

ConsNothing con. Best place I have worked.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

The past is better than the future here

Software Applications Engineer (Current Employee) Mechanicsburg, PA

ProsMzinga has a good work/life balance with the ability to take off for family events and personal emergencies. The work day is very casual. Free sodas and employees are welcome to bring alcohol into the office.

ConsThere has been a lot of attrition by choice and "position eliminations." The technology stack is very dated and it seems that the most interesting work is passed on to outside consultants. There has been a freeze on 401k contributions and raises. It isn't clear what direction management wants to take the company in or what role their current employees should take in it.

Advice to Senior ManagementI can't see this company becoming viable again without bringing in new talent and establishing a clear direction. I think there is real potential here but it can't be realized without more investment.

Mzinga

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits
    Flextime
    Free beer
    Free snacks
    Good location
    Pay is okay

ConsCompany is a former husk of itself.
    Employees exiting at a high rate on their own and with some layoffs over the past two years.
    Financial health is very poor, and outlook is not improving.
    Customers leaving and not much new business in years to replace them.
    No one likes to answer their phones for fear of it being a collection agency.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere really isn't any management. Interim CEO spends most days locked in an office focused on his full time business that isn't Mzinga.
    Al Nugent is not the CEO anymore and hasn't been for a while.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Most of the good talent is long gone...that includes development, senior management and sales.

Sales (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsMany many great people have come through the doors... very few, if any of them are left.

Cons-Culture of micro management
    -Products lag behind the market
    -Sales team during my tenure had way too many people chasing way too little business. We needed a smaller, leaner team if anyone was going to make any money.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're committed to staying, are you committed to making fundamental changes?

Bad Senior Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mechanicsburg, PA

ProsGreat people to work with
    Wondeful culture
    Work from home
    Flexible hours

ConsNo communication from senior management
    Mismanagement of funds. Was once a profitiable company and then new/current management let egos get out of control. There is potential for the product but not with the current leadership.
    Major layoffs every couple of years

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the lower level employees. Communicate with the company.

Account Manager

Account Manager (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsLocation close to Boston but not too close!

ConsVery software focused as a company

Advice to Senior ManagementNot much to say

Doing Well in a Competitive Space Despite the Economic Conditions

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsThe office environment (Waltham).
    Healthy respect for work / life balance, ability to work from home.
    New technologies.
    A great group of people.

ConsThe office location (Waltham), can be very hard to get to during rush hour.
    Not recognizing what employees could do beyond their current position.
    The couple of people I wouldn't include in the great gorup of people mentioned above.
    Some fiefdoms.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of marginal performers who are still there just because of legacy.

Years ago It was a great place to work at!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsHonest, dedicated employees who are extremely talented. Free Coffee. Good location.

ConsLong Hours.

Mismanagement of corporate funds by Executive Staff.3 months before laying off most of the staff, they purchased Large screen TV's, expensive banners and hosted internal "training" lunches which were catered by expensive restaurants.

Management can not be trusted to tell the truth.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to manage.

Nice place to work when it existed

Developer (Former Employee) Mechanicsburg, PA

ProsLaidback environment work with knowledgeable and friendly people. It was the bees-knees back in the day and then they board kicked out the main guy and a new company was formed

ConsGetting taken over and having good people get laidoff

Advice to Senior ManagementNone since none are there anymore

All abuzz about Mzinga.

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe people who work at Mzinga are great. Every day it is a pleasure to come to work. Communication is free flowing and in most instances everyone is on the same page about the important topics. Many employees are vets in the space. There is ample opportunity to learn and work with some of the best of the best. The products are exciting and the space is very hot. That makes for a challenging fast paced environment. The benefits are great and more than adequate. All in all, Mzinga is a fun, exciting and promising place to work and build a career.

ConsMzinga is very management heavy. Therefore, the probability of getting a promotion is greatly decreased. This will detract for young professionals seeking to move in and move up with an organization. Many times, Mzinga will recruit experienced professionals rather than train new talent to do a job. Being a small organization, the hours can tend to be long and the workloads heavy. Having two separate locations can make travel more frequent than desired, though both office spaces are very nice. Additionally, having two offices produces some challenges in communication from time to time regardless of which location you are at.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Management has proven that they can integrate 3 different organizations. Keep striving for the goal to make Mzinga the best place to work. Also, keep the door open with communication. You do a great job making people feel at home!

Worked for Mzinga? Contribute to the Community!