N.B. Handy

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
3.4

Mitch Reaves

A family atmosphere in the corporate world

Current Employee - Office
    Current Employee - Office

I have been working at N.B. Handy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits.
    Small enough where people know each other but big enough to be a player in the business arena.
    Open door policy with all levels of management.
    Seems to care for the person although sometimes "they" can't move fast enough.

Cons

No raises in some time.
    People are nervous about their future. Sense that the company is having a hard time getting where it wants to be.
    Not sure leadership is doing what it takes to get over the edge and return to strong profitability.
    Lots of changes and thy seem to continue.. Makes us wonder if the leaders really know what they are doing.

Communicate. Communicate. Communicate. If you are going to make changes help us understand why. As with all changes please consider how it come across to the rest of us. Lots of uncertainty is not a comforting feeling.

Very shaky company

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at N.B. Handy

Pros

Some very excellent co-workers at this company; A nice relaxed atmosphere in the office and a fun place to work; at times.

Cons

This company lacks direction in so many ways and I'm afraid, that unless they identify a solid direction, they may be headed for a large fall.

Recognize whats important and do the right things. Treat employees better and do not make a screw up on your part
    an emergency on the part of your employees.

Take care of their employees

Former Employee - Account Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at N.B. Handy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My time at N.B. Handy was a positive experience over all. They work hard to take care of their employees and their customers something you don't see a lot of in todays market.

Cons

no negative review for company.

no advice for management.

Fast Pace

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Roanoke, VA

I worked at N.B. Handy full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very Good Insurance!! Decent hourly pay!

Cons

The training for new hires was lacking in the worst way! I believe in "learning by doing" but the expectations of the management were unaccpetable.

Needs a more structured training program.

Opportunity can be created and grasped for intelligent, hard-workers with a positive attitude

Former Employee - Manager in Lynchburg, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in Lynchburg, VA

I worked at N.B. Handy

Pros

I experienced many opportunities for learning and professional development.
    The company is technology driven. It is also very family-friendly
    with open-doors in management. Mentoring is present both formally and informally and most managers are very approachable and willing to answer questions as well as coach.

Cons

The wholesale building products industry has small profit margins and the company
    lacks diversification. The Company is also highly leveraged.
    The Company's growth opportunity is very limited in current economic climate.

Communicate with all employees early and often. Also,
    mentor managers with stronger contemporaries not necessarily
    their direct managers. Seek more input from employees on ideas for cost savings and the effectiveness of prior measures taken.

Well compensated for my efforts, by a company that has zero trust in its employees at the branch level.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at N.B. Handy

Pros

When hired I really enjoyed most of my coworkers, and I must say that the company paid its sales force and management pretty well. There is a lot of knowledge within the company that one could and should take advantage of learning.

Cons

The company is slow to react to changes in its markets and even in its own work force. Taking 90 days to promote an in house employee to a vacated management position does not show a lot of confidence in their ability. Very distrustful of employees with proven real world experience. There is zero personnel development within its own ranks. If there is a job opening in the company 9 times out of 10 the company hires someone that is not already an employee. Sometimes it seems just as hard to work within the companies guidelines, and jumping through their hoops as it does to develop business against competition. Sales reps feel as though they are working against the competition as well as against their own company at times.

Stop hiring consultants to tell you how to run your business!!! It has been family owned for 120 years, and if you haven't figured it out by now, find someone to sell it to. If you want to figure out how to do something better, ask employees who have actually had some experience with those things. Develop people from within, you would have a much happier work force if they thought there was an opportunity to advance.

Review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynchburg, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at N.B. Handy

Pros

Friendly People
    Great Environment
    Hours and expectations are generally in line with market norms
    Time off is reasonable
    Overtime available

Cons

Incompetent leadership at lower levels

Look forward!