N.F. Smith & Associates

Updated October 10, 2014
4.1

N.F. Smith & Associates CEO and Owners Bob & Lee Ackerley
Bob & Lee Ackerley

Great environment, perfect place to learn new things

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at N.F. Smith & Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flat structure, friendly co-workers
    Encouraged to learn and try new technologies
    Talented people
    Moving fast
    A lot to learn
    Flexible environment, goal oriented
    Great team. always get help immediately

Cons

benefits okay but no annual performance review
    salary may grow slow
    sometimes under pressure from weird business people
    may have to code things in clearly wrong way

should have a clearer management structure with qualified people of integrity

Lots of opportunity - if you are prepared to work

Current Employee - International Account Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - International Account Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at N.F. Smith & Associates full-time (more than an year)

Pros

NO BS company. This company is a great example of getting out what you put in. There are a lot of people around me that are very successful and so I know that it's possible but it does take very hard work and dedication to the job. It's very laid back and dress code is super relaxed.

Cons

The business structure is relatively flat so there aren't a lot of management positions. The good side of that is that management positions are all former traders so at least you know that if you work hard and do well, you will have an opportunity.

do reviews more often so we can get feedback on what we need to be doing to improve.

Goldmine!!

Current Employee - International Sales in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - International Sales in Houston, TX

I have been working at N.F. Smith & Associates full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flex schedule. All the tools that you need to be successful.
    Amazing to their employees. Great training program.
    If you work hard there is money to be made. Must have a passion for sales

Cons

none that I can think of

It was very challenging and no room for success.

Former Employee - International Account Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - International Account Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at N.F. Smith & Associates full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company culture was one of the best in the business and tell you great stories about some of the big deals made to get you really excited about working there.

Cons

Smith does not provide helpful resources to help you succeed. There is no structure to upward mobility in the company. All of the large accounts are taken and the smaller accounts do not need to be targeted because they can not make the company any money. Smith only gives you a few months to get business going or they yank the chain.

Hire a full time sales trainer!

Fantastic work place. Lucky to be here... But takes hard work.

Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

I have been working at N.F. Smith & Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy the freedom to choose my path each day. Decent training and good support from other departments makes success possible at Smith. Benefits are more important as I get older, so a strong plan helps the comfort level of being in a sales and purchasing position.

Cons

A lot of pay is "at risk" so you have to be prepared for down months. Inequity in pay amongst different offices from what I hear, so that can be discouraging.

Employee reviews, ever heard of them? Would love to give feedback to ownership, I think the managers are just buffers between the employees and owners.

Amazing Organization!! Sky is the limit. Best job I have ever had

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at N.F. Smith & Associates full-time

Pros

I cant say enough good things about Smith & Associates. Many people have been here for 20+ years, which says a lot. Many opportunities to be promoted within and recognized for your hard work and achievements.

Cons

None. Its a great place to be.

Thank you! Smith offers a truly unique opportunity for all their employees

Not a good place to work if you want some career growth

Former Employee - IT Developer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - IT Developer in Houston, TX

I worked at N.F. Smith & Associates full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Companies outcome is good and it is a miracle how such an unorganized place make this much money.

Cons

Nothing is organized no proper management, procedures nothing.

Nothing they wont listen, as long as they get money.

Overall, great experience. Some challenging times like any job, but Smith has become my career.

Current Employee - International Sales
    Current Employee - International Sales

I have been working at N.F. Smith & Associates full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You get out what you are willing to put in. Smith is hard work and takes a lot of dedication, but the owners and management are very loyal to those that make the effort. You will notice from other reviews that most CURRENT employees have an overall positive experience. Very laid back culture is nice, but don't confuse that with not working hard or being professional. Smith is the top Independent Distributor of semiconductors in the world, and you don't stay #1 by being lazy. But those willing to put in the time effort are rewarded nicely.

Company is probably better than reviewed at giving opportunities to those that EARN and SEEK opportunities. I personally like that there is not a set structure or timeline for promotion or advancement. Opportunities are given based on results, not tenure. If I choose to just keep selling parts and making money, they will let me. But if I want to go a management route, then I have to step up and make it known. I have to show I am deserving based on my skills, not how long I have been here. I am fine with that, but others might not be.

I like the market segment of technology as a sustainable career and long term outlook. Computers, mobile phones, and consumer electronics are not a dying business, but the future. Anyone that says otherwise, isn't paying attention to the world. Smith should be positioned to stay at the top, and I like working for a company that is the best at what they do.

Cons

For some, not having a clear path for promotion could be frustrating. Tenure is not as important as results, so they definitely don't reward you for just showing up. I don't have a problem with this, but you do hear belly-aching from some older employees that believe they get past by for younger people sometimes.

Internal competition for accounts is tricky. The person sitting next to you may be your friend and co-worker, but they can also be your competition. Most are good at teamwork, but some are very protective of their accounts.

It would be nice to get to travel more to visit customers and go to trade shows. I understand it is "inside sales", but maybe a budget should be set for each customer for marketing or business development purposes.

Very little interaction with the ownership. Other reviews commented on lack of leadership or upper management, but the office managers and higher-ups at HQ seem to be around all the time. They don't exactly micro-manage, but they are very accessible. However, the owners have lots of other things on their plate, and not sure how much time they can dedicate to all that is going on at Smith.

Smith can be a roller coaster of success and failures. Maybe that is just Sales in general, but the peaks and valleys can be difficult to manage. Have a great month and getting a big commission check is awesome, but having a slow month and not getting one can suck.

Figure out how to get everyone working together more. Better cooperation and teamwork would make Smith even stronger. Maybe buy a few smaller niche competitors to expand our reach.

An industry leader and customer focused company

Current Employee - Senior Account Representative in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Representative in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at N.F. Smith & Associates full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Smith allows their employees to find and work with customers around the globe. They can support those customers with the highest quality service and components through company owned worldwide logistics centers. Smith is large enough to have the monetary as well as the purchasing and logistics personnel to help any customer, large or small, but on the other hand Smith is not so large that you feel like a number.

Cons

Because Smith is a relatively flat organization, the opportunities for upward mobility are somewhat limited, though over time those opportunities are possible.

Best company that I have worked at!

Going on my 12th year at Smith and looking forward to many more!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at N.F. Smith & Associates full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Smith's Name and reputation within our industry!
    Co-workers - great people across the globe!
    Smith's ability to support it's Sales force with A-Z product solutions for any size company that has a need for electronic componets and finished goods!
    Endless earning potential!

Cons

None - Smith is the #1 Independent Distributor within our industry for a reason and that's starts at the top with the Owners. They care about their employees and it shows as Smith has remained the #1 Independent Distributor year after year!

Keep up the great work!

N.F. Smith & Associates Response

May 1, 2014Co-Founder & Director

Thank you for your glowing review. If you take a poll of tenure at Smith you will see that many have passed their 15, 20 and 25 year anniversaries, even a couple are close to their 30th! That says ... More

N.F. Smith & Associates Photos