N.F. Smith & Associates

Updated Jul 8, 2014

N.F. Smith & Associates CEO and Owners Bob & Lee Ackerley

Bob & Lee Ackerley

Goldmine!!

International Sales (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsFlex schedule. All the tools that you need to be successful.
    Amazing to their employees. Great training program.
    If you work hard there is money to be made. Must have a passion for sales

Consnone that I can think of

Fantastic work place. Lucky to be here... But takes hard work.

Sales (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsI enjoy the freedom to choose my path each day. Decent training and good support from other departments makes success possible at Smith. Benefits are more important as I get older, so a strong plan helps the comfort level of being in a sales and purchasing position.

ConsA lot of pay is "at risk" so you have to be prepared for down months. Inequity in pay amongst different offices from what I hear, so that can be discouraging.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee reviews, ever heard of them? Would love to give feedback to ownership, I think the managers are just buffers between the employees and owners.

Amazing Organization!! Sky is the limit. Best job I have ever had

Houston, TX

ProsI cant say enough good things about Smith & Associates. Many people have been here for 20+ years, which says a lot. Many opportunities to be promoted within and recognized for your hard work and achievements.

ConsNone. Its a great place to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you! Smith offers a truly unique opportunity for all their employees

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a good place to work if you want some career growth

IT Developer (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsCompanies outcome is good and it is a miracle how such an unorganized place make this much money.

ConsNothing is organized no proper management, procedures nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing they wont listen, as long as they get money.

An industry leader and customer focused company

Senior Account Representative (Current Employee)
    Pleasanton, CA

ProsSmith allows their employees to find and work with customers around the globe. They can support those customers with the highest quality service and components through company owned worldwide logistics centers. Smith is large enough to have the monetary as well as the purchasing and logistics personnel to help any customer, large or small, but on the other hand Smith is not so large that you feel like a number.

ConsBecause Smith is a relatively flat organization, the opportunities for upward mobility are somewhat limited, though over time those opportunities are possible.

Best company that I have worked at! Going on my 12th year at Smith and looking forward to many more!

Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Pleasanton, CA

ProsSmith's Name and reputation within our industry!
    Co-workers - great people across the globe!
    Smith's ability to support it's Sales force with A-Z product solutions for any size company that has a need for electronic componets and finished goods!
    Endless earning potential!

ConsNone - Smith is the #1 Independent Distributor within our industry for a reason and that's starts at the top with the Owners. They care about their employees and it shows as Smith has remained the #1 Independent Distributor year after year!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Flag Review
    N.F. Smith & Associates Co-Founder & Director responded to this review May 1, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your glowing review. If you take a poll of tenure at Smith you will see that many have passed their 15, 20 and 25 year anniversaries, even a couple are close to their 30th! That says ... More

One Amazing Company...

New York, NY

Pros~Inspiring Work Setting
    ~Great Group of Co Workers Willing to Help You in Any Way They Can
    ~Management Who Genuinely Cares About Your Success and Well Being in The Work Place
    ~Generous Compensation Package
    ~Commission = The Sky is the Limit
    ~Fun Company "Outings"... holding out for a Rock Concert!

Cons~There Are No Negatives When Reviewing This Company

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only advice I have to management is keep doing what you are doing... which is caring about your Employees, because it shows. Since I am a reflection of the company I work for, if I am happy in my work environment, then it cannot help but translate in the way I conduct myself with my customers. It is quite obvious what is important to the two CEO's of this company because they have set a positive tone from the top and employed management to carry out their beliefs. It is a trickle down effect.
    I have almost 19 years in this industry, before joining Smith and I know what the "norm" is. This is the polar opposite...Caring, excellent compensation, management support, all in a friendly environment. Not to mention the breathtaking view of Manhattan, which never gets old.

Great Company In An Exciting Industry

International Account Representative (Current Employee)

ProsBig opportunity to make money.

Great work environment

Great benefits

ConsVery Demanding.

Not for someone looking for an easy 9-5 job

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep helping traders with their current business and keep helping young traders learn the business.

Flag Review
    Thank you for taking time to post your review. Smith was the brain child of 4 owners 30 years ago, while working out of their house and around the clock to build what has become an amazing company ... More

Highly creative and forward thinking place to work and grow

New York, NY

ProsIt was my first sales job . I have been here for 11 months and I can't begin to tell you the transformation that I have made in my life. This company never loses its focus on improvement. My co-workers are highly intelligent and my managers are very giving of their time and energy. I stand on the shoulders of the greats of this company and now I have become one of them. It is a company of leaders. They will support you to no end and they will facilitate your growth. It is done in a fun atmosphere. It is a family oriented company with strong family values.

ConsNot many cons to think about. This company has taught me to think in a forward manner and imagine and then accomplish great success.

Overall, great experience. Some challenging times like any job, but Smith has become my career.

International Sales (Current Employee)

ProsYou get out what you are willing to put in. Smith is hard work and takes a lot of dedication, but the owners and management are very loyal to those that make the effort. You will notice from other reviews that most CURRENT employees have an overall positive experience. Very laid back culture is nice, but don't confuse that with not working hard or being professional. Smith is the top Independent Distributor of semiconductors in the world, and you don't stay #1 by being lazy. But those willing to put in the time effort are rewarded nicely.

Company is probably better than reviewed at giving opportunities to those that EARN and SEEK opportunities. I personally like that there is not a set structure or timeline for promotion or advancement. Opportunities are given based on results, not tenure. If I choose to just keep selling parts and making money, they will let me. But if I want to go a management route, then I have to step up and make it known. I have to show I am deserving based on my skills, not how long I have been here. I am fine with that, but others might not be.

I like the market segment of technology as a sustainable career and long term outlook. Computers, mobile phones, and consumer electronics are not a dying business, but the future. Anyone that says otherwise, isn't paying attention to the world. Smith should be positioned to stay at the top, and I like working for a company that is the best at what they do.

ConsFor some, not having a clear path for promotion could be frustrating. Tenure is not as important as results, so they definitely don't reward you for just showing up. I don't have a problem with this, but you do hear belly-aching from some older employees that believe they get past by for younger people sometimes.

Internal competition for accounts is tricky. The person sitting next to you may be your friend and co-worker, but they can also be your competition. Most are good at teamwork, but some are very protective of their accounts.

It would be nice to get to travel more to visit customers and go to trade shows. I understand it is "inside sales", but maybe a budget should be set for each customer for marketing or business development purposes.

Very little interaction with the ownership. Other reviews commented on lack of leadership or upper management, but the office managers and higher-ups at HQ seem to be around all the time. They don't exactly micro-manage, but they are very accessible. However, the owners have lots of other things on their plate, and not sure how much time they can dedicate to all that is going on at Smith.

Smith can be a roller coaster of success and failures. Maybe that is just Sales in general, but the peaks and valleys can be difficult to manage. Have a great month and getting a big commission check is awesome, but having a slow month and not getting one can suck.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out how to get everyone working together more. Better cooperation and teamwork would make Smith even stronger. Maybe buy a few smaller niche competitors to expand our reach.

Worked for N.F. Smith & Associates? Contribute to the Community!

N.F. Smith & Associates – Why Work for Us?

Find out more about Smith. Smith & Associates knows electronic components inside and out. As the industry's top independent distributor, we're who major manufacturers turn to when the demand for their new phones or… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at N.F. Smith & Associates reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for N.F. Smith & Associates CEO Bob & Lee Ackerley. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by N.F. Smith & Associates employees.