NACA Services

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Joe Ferguson

Great company to start career in mortgage advocacy. Company provides great service to community in assisting members.

Mortgage Counselor (Former Employee)
Charlotte, NC

I worked at NACA Services full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent training if trying to gain loss mitigation mortgage experience.
Good company if you want to travel.
Outstanding services that is provided to home owners.

ConsNot many career growth opportunities.
Promotions are not fair and based on merit and work ethic.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee compensation plan need to be revamped. Promotions should be based on merit,work experience & education and years of services rather than friendships and popularity. Management needs to listen to employees concerns to increase employee morale.

Interesting work, very stressful.

Director (Former Employee)
Inglewood, CA

I worked at NACA Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAbility to help people in the community who were losing their homes due to predatory lending.

ConsExtra long hours without compensation, nor rewards, limited opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider rewarding those who work so diligently for your cause, allow for growth and advancement in the company.

NACA Review

I have been working at NACA Services

ProsGreat community advocacy and concern for homeowners

ConsThere are no cons for my review

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

VERY long hours for ridiculously low pay.

Mortgage Counselor (Current Employee)
Jamaica Plain, MA

I have been working at NACA Services full-time for less than a year

ProsYou are truly helping people achieve the dream of home ownership, which makes you feel really good about the hours you put in and the work you do.

ConsVery long hours; hourly pay is reimbursed to the company when a mortgage closes and you earn your commission. However, if you close one mortgage every 2 weeks then you get no paycheck because your commission is paying back the hourly pay. The problem is that NACA is geared towards people with spotty credit so it can take quite awhile to get someone approved for a mortgage and then get them to closing. Additionally, if you can't get mortgages closed you will lose your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter pay structure

The most stressful job I've ever had!!

Housing Counselor (Current Employee)
Charlotte, NC

I have been working at NACA Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorking for the company, you get the opportunity to travel the country helping homeowners facing foreclosure or those with unaffordable mortgages, save their home by allowing them the opportunity to sit face to face with their lender.

ConsThe amount of unnecessary stress created by this place is unbelievable. The management, starting with the CEO, is unorganized. The managers in the offices run things based off of emotions and not performance. There are no opportunities for promotions and there is no such thing as a raise. Also, there is no such thing as personal time or a home life. With the crazy hours and the mandatory 12-14 hour shifts, it is almost impossible to have a life outside of work.

Confused organization

Office Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at NACA Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe mission is great and your fellow coworkers (mortgage counselors, OMs and admins) understand the frustrations and are great ppl; the many families you get the opportunity to help, empower, encourage and provide information to.

Consthe organization is jacked-up from the top (CEO, COO, National Directors, RODs), they are insensitive to what is really going on in the local offices, have no heart for their employees and pacify them in hopes for their "issues" to go away, no opportunity for advancement unless by popular vote, compensation to hours worked are all for the benefit of the company and non realistic... everyone is faking it just to make it.....advice to current or considering employees, just ride the waves, make no fuss, do your job and go home...don't let NACA make you lose your mind...although I left on a good note (not fired) and I hate being pessimistic NACA has a lot to work on. 1 star for the mission, 1 more star for the ppl you'll meet along the way.

Advice to Senior Managementtake some classes, reorganize and pull out the vision (if there even is one for the staff) and refocus

Need to Care More About It's Employees

I have been working at NACA Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNACA provides a great learning experience for anyone who wants experience in the industry. The people in the organization are great but there is no appreciation for the work that is being provided by the employees. If you are a "go getter" you have a chance of being successful. The organization helps many people who are struggling paying their mortgages or those who could not image being a homeowner get through the program. It's a rewarding experience to help others who only dreamed of the opportunity to have an affordable payment or a house of their own.

ConsThe organization does not treat it's employees well enough to retain them. It is not a company that you can look forward to growing with for the next 5-10+ years. The organization does not provide good training, although they are improving they should do the job of the person that they are training in order to provide the best tools/resources. Every office is treated the same although they are very different. Management care about the staff but are just so overwhelmed wearing multiple hats that they can't focus solely on one need at time, nothing is completed successfully before something else is implemented. The CEO is so concerned about getting funding for organization yet he does not spread the wealth amongst the staff that deserves an increase. Raises rarely happened and in most cases you have to fight to get one. It appears that if you are not extremely outspoken and aggressive (and producing) you will not be heard.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the needs of the office and treat the office accordingly. For example, in Atlanta if there are 15 employees, it should not be treated the same as on office with 3 employees. More support is needed, possibly a team of processors and underwriters who can support the needs of the office, a trainer, Office Manager & Assistant Office Manager, and possibly a Regional Manager. Also, recognize the staff that does well. It doesn't always have to be about providing more money (although a bonus for a job well done would be nice). Give the staff something to look forward to if they are successfully meeting their goals and have tenure with the company. Everyone should not be treated the same. Allow a manager who's been with the company for 2+ years to work from home once a month or to have an Office as long as he/she spends 25% of their time in the front lobby. Provide the top producers with an award and the best managers an award so that people are motivated and feel appreciated.

Crew hand on a slave ship

Mortgage Counselor (Current Employee)

I have been working at NACA Services full-time for more than a year

ProsHelping people get a home

ConsPay plan is awful, inflexible management

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit treating people awfully

Very Unorganized

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at NACA Services full-time for more than a year

ProsGood learning experience, good overtime

ConsPoor compensation, long hours, overtime assigned the day of or day before. They are so caught up in trying to help home owners but the employees are getting deeper in debt.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees need more resources

If the road to Hell is paved with good intentions, NACA must be building a super highway....

Mortgage Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at NACA Services full-time for less than a year

ProsNACA has funding commitments from Bank of America and Citibank to provide mortgages to folks who are passed over by the traditional mortgage market (credit-challenged, self-employed, ITIN or undocumented immigrants). They also assist people facing foreclosure or short-sales negotiating a resolution with their lender.

ConsNACA seems to be more interested in getting publicity than running an efficient company. Hyperbole abounds throughout its website, NACA.com and when I first saw it, I thought they were a scam. The organiztion is hobbled by extensive in-fighting and unprofessional staff. During my six month tenure only two individuals actually got mortgages at my office. The company likes to tout its proprietary software called "Lynx" which is supposed to insure privacy by not allowing any personal documents to be kept in the office - everything is scanned into the "member's" online file and then returned to them. Unfortunately many documents get lost or dissapear into a digital black hole. This is especially frustrating for members who are asked to supply the same documents over and over. A large number of members are Hispanic because NACA is one of the only places ITIN's (undocumented immigrants) can get a mortgage. Unfortunately there is a lack of Spanish speaking counselors and in my office the only bilngual person was the receptionist. This meant we had to rely on members to bring translators who often had English skills that were only slightly better than the person they were translating for. This made discussing complicated topics like mortgages, credit reports, bankruptcies, etc. even more difficult and miscommunication was commonplace. I confronted management regarding this problem a number of times but saw no effort towards improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementA number of complaints regarding how disfunctional the company is can be found by Googling "NACA member dissatisfaction". Although a non-profit, NACA appears to have no active, independent board of directors to reign-in the "management team", many of whom appear to have gotten their jobs not for "what" they knew but "who" they knew. There is more attention paid to protecting turf than making the company run efficiently.

Worked for NACA Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NACA Services reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for NACA Services CEO Joe Ferguson. All 19 reviews posted anonymously by NACA Services employees.