NAFSA Reviews

Reset
2.8
Marlene Johnson

1. Good place to start international education career

I have been working at NAFSA

Pros

It was a good place to learn about the field and industry, make connections and network. Good org for entry level, fun like-minded people. Offered professional development opportunities (attending sessions/meetings/conferences/$for job related class) that helped to off set low pay. Good entry level benefits.

Cons

Pay is low but that is reflective of the field in general.

Advice to Management

This was short term job for me, so don't have any advice to management.

2. good people, lousy mission

I worked at NAFSA full-time

Pros

hours are great, across departments the people are generally friendly. nice office environment and benefits.

Cons

if you want to work for an organization that makes i difference, I'd look elsewhere. Unfortunately you see this a lot in DC, especially with the education sector. 20-30 years ago NAFSA was probably relevant. Since then most of its objectives have been realized. Now its an organization desperately trying to look like its still relevant-- and failing.

Advice to Management

seriously rethink your mission statement and prioritize your resources to areas most relevant/beneficial-- public policy is not one of them.

3. Negative culture in staff office with a few good managers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at NAFSA full-time

Pros

I had a supportive, thoughtful boss, which made a difference here; there are good benefits and vacation time; and a great annual membership conference. The members make the organization special.

Cons

Negative office climate with extremely high turnover and firings; ineffective HR department; higher ups who talk behind backs; communication silos; "this is how we've always done things" kind of culture.

Advice to Management

Please: Trust your employees, treat them with professional respect, and allow them to take risks with innovation in order to advance membership outreach. Do not reward managers who have a bad reputation from lower staff for being unsupportive and emotionally abusive—you will only lose good staff (and I speak not of my own experience, but for that of many of my colleagues). The organization will thrive when all our treated as smart, trustworthy team members with something great to provide the staff.

5. Experience at NAFSA might depend on your department.

I have been working at NAFSA full-time

Pros

Hosts a wonderful annual international educator's conference, which is a great opportunity to get to know your colleagues and meet members of the organization you often only collaborate with by phone or e-mail. Excellent benefits (insurance, vacation, etc.); opportunity for growth; great facility in convenient downtown location. Great values and passionate people.

Cons

Organizational changes can be secretive at times; low morale; not great collaboration between departments. Some people are stuck in old routines and are very resistant to change. A few difficult personalities. Lots of turnover.

Advice to Management

Be transparent with your employees; give consistent feedback; work toward open communication with employees and regular collaboration between departments.

RSS Feed </> Embed