NAPA Auto Parts

Updated January 27, 2015
3.2

NAPA Auto Parts President Thomas Gallagher
Thomas Gallagher

Pros
  • It's a pretty easy job, if you like driving around all day, you'll love this job (in 7 reviews)

• Good benefits (401K, part purchase program, vacation, etc (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management vs store management seems to be a recurring theme (in 14 reviews)

• Reduced all part-time working hours while raising qualifying hours in order to cut all (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

it was a amazing experience all of the workers were very nice and helpful

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Portland, OR

I worked at NAPA Auto Parts part-time (less than a year)

Pros

this was an amazing job nothing wrong with it

Cons

i had to leave for school

Current Employee - Package Delivery Driver in Orange Park, FL
    Current Employee - Package Delivery Driver in Orange Park, FL

I have been working at NAPA Auto Parts part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Do complete job with a smile on your face

Cons

None at this time or antisipated

Very dependable and trust worthy

Average Pay. Good Benefits. Paid Birthdays . Top 500 Company can move to other brands of GPC as well as relocation.

Former Employee - Driver in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Driver in Orlando, FL

I worked at NAPA Auto Parts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits!
    Good Work Schedule
    Good Discounts
    Learn a Ton!

Cons

Some Light Travel
    Not the Same work Schedule Weekly
    Very little Patience
    Lots of Micro Managing
    Raises are Rare
    Can lead to alot of Stress

Trust Employees
    Offer Raises and Incentives

We take care of our own

Current Employee - COUNTER SALES in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - COUNTER SALES in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at NAPA Auto Parts full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have flexibility of schedule, we don't maintain late night hours that are just to "Keep up with the Jones's" We are off on holidays as we should be. We don't have mass layoffs to placate shareholders. We are paid above average wages, our benefits and company match for our 401k beats the competition. We are rewarded for training and they pay for my ASE Certifications. We are leaders in the auto parts industry for a reason. We take care of our own which translates to we take care of our customers. THAT is how American companies should be.

Cons

They make 65% of their business from shops on their jobber side on a razor thin margin and worse yet deliver for free. They would make more money if they improved the retail experience for their over the counter business.Margins would increase 40% The stores pale in comparison to an O'Reilly's or Pep Boys. If this changed then customers would spend money there on high margin products other than starters and alternators. It is especially helpful that a large number of the counter help are ASE certified, crushing the "Dumb counter guy" stigma. They really do not have a decent retail sales floor but do have parts at more competitive prices. If they were to buy O'Reilly's and convert their $7.50 and hour counter guys to their $15.00 an hour counter guys they would have a winner. Staying open until 10:00 pm does not make more money in the auto parts business. In fact in Sacramento this past year a counter guy got murdered at O'Reilly's.

Kissing the butts of shop owners who abuse and berate the counter help creates needless turnover. Margins are not big enough to take abuse from disrespectful shop employees. inviting them to do business elsewhere will force them to change their ways because you can't beat NAPA in a lot of areas. Delivery is first class and parts are the best. The competition can get some of the business but not enough of it to keep them coming back. Shop owners need NAPA. Simply, Water pumps. alternators, and starters are the best in the business.

Clear vision and great team work.

Former Employee - DSM in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - DSM in Denver, CO

I worked at NAPA Auto Parts

Pros

Company offers a wonderful benefits package and education reimbursement. Quarterly team meetings are informative and engaging. Provide a good platform for sharing ideas, successes and challenges.

Cons

Difficult to advance career. Middle management runs scarred and is not very inventive. Upper management is more worried about change than embracing change. Need to have a vision greater than 90 days in the future.

Need to be more responsive to market changes and align vertical sales integration to be more effective at each level. The independent ownership is varied and I would recommend leadership groups and advisory committees to help provide consistent sales methodology with attention to technique and effectiveness. Independent ownership training should be improved to meet 2015 SOP.

only been with them for 3 months

Current Employee - Delivery Driver
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver

I have been working at NAPA Auto Parts part-time (less than a year)

Pros

So far during my short tenure at NAPA (MPEC) I have have made some new friends but not a whole lot of money. The job experience is however not very stressful or demanding as a delivery driver.

Cons

your not getting rich any time soon as a delivery driver at NAPA. My hours very also very a lot from less than 20 to basically a full 40 not sure if that's a con for every one but to me i don't like not having a set schedule.

none

Delivered auto parts to stores/mechanics

I have been working at NAPA Auto Parts

Pros

not a lot of management hovering over you

Cons

Pay was not very high

Don't go there.

Former Employee - Order Puller in Plainfield, IN
    Former Employee - Order Puller in Plainfield, IN

I worked at NAPA Auto Parts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

none none none none none

Cons

Employees treated poorly, if injured they let you go, take out anyone who has been there for any length of time.

Learn to treat your employees as If they are people not numbers. Those people who have been in this company made that company show respect.

Napa is a very semi fast paced job with a good salary and friendly co workers.

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in South Plainfield, NJ
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in South Plainfield, NJ

I have been working at NAPA Auto Parts part-time (less than a year)

Pros

salary increases every 6 months by 50 cents
    training is efficient and helpful
    co workers are genuinely nice

Cons

a lot of heavy lifting

Dissatisfied

Current Employee - COUNTER SALES in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - COUNTER SALES in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at NAPA Auto Parts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Steady hours. Good employee discount.

Cons

Underpaid for amount of work done. Upper management severely lacks ability.

I'm currently employed with NAPA, and the longer I am employed the worse I see how things are. The operation of the Kansas City and surrounding area is extremely underwhelming. Area managers, local corporate figure-heads, all out of touch with what retail, and especially IBS locations, need to survive. I work far too hard and go way too far above and beyond what I should be required to do for the pay that I receive. The treatment I get and the attention that's paid to my location is horrible.

NAPA Auto Parts Photos