NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
www.nasa.gov Goddard, MD 5000+ Employees

NASA Goddard Space Flight Center Reviews

Updated Jun 21, 2014
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center – “GSFC office”

Intern; Great Experience working with Brilliant People

GOES-R Flight Project Analyst (Former Employee)
    Greenbelt, MD

Pros1) Ownership of the work you are assigned. I had the opportunity to take my assignment in the direction I wanted with guidance from my mentor.
    2) Meaningful work. While a select few interns I knew had very little to do, most (including myself) were actively contributing to the projects our mentors worked on.
    3) Amazing mentors. My mentor worked tirelessly to teach me, gave me exposure to many technical members outside of our work project, coached me in writing a paper for a conference based upon our summer work, and even helped me network with a contractor for future internship opportunities.
    4) Awesome facility tours and brilliant engineers and scientists to talk to

Cons1) Driving to work through rush hour traffic is a nightmare if you live on the southern side of D.C.
    2) Pay is low (but in my opinion the opportunity is worth it)

Advice to Senior ManagementPost internship opportunities earlier in the year because almost all other companies will already have offers released before many interns hear from the NASA GSFC intern program.

Working at NASA Goddard

Research Engineer (Current Employee)
    Greenbelt, MD

ProsEasy going and comfortable campus setting; stimulating work; good people

ConsContractors are undeniably second class and get hit by budget cuts first, so not necessarily a stable position

Good place to work.

ProsGreat campus and you get to work with some of the smartest and most interesting people. The projects are interesting.

ConsThere are too many red tapes, but that is to be expected for a government agency. Some of the annual online training seem to be superfluous if you have common sense.

There is very little social interaction, unlike at a university environment. Office space is also a bit cramped.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern

Research Interm (Former Employee)
    Greenbelt, MD

ProsLot's of learning, beautiful campus, great people to work with. Got to work on cutting edge research, very fulfilling. Very diverse community and great area if you don't stray to far from Greenbelt.

ConsOften left with nothing to do, security can be intimidating. Impossible to get in to certain parts of the building when no one is around. The rest of the DC area is not a good place to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about how you can further the experience for your interns.

Excellent work experience in a friendly environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEverybody is friendly and willing to help you with a problem you are having. They will not do your assignment for you, however if you are having a problem they will point you in the correct direction.

ConsMay be too relaxed in some departments. Good pay, but could get more at another company.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Perfect

Remote Sensing Scientist (Current Employee)
    Greenbelt, MD

Pros- interesting, meaningful and challenging projects/daily work
    - flexibility: dress code, hours, control over daily tasks
    - coworkers and working environment: great place to collaborate with great minds, share ideas and work with people across various departments
    - competitive salary and benefits (I'm a contractor)

ConsNot many cons from what I can see, but as my first'real' job I have nothing to compare to. However:
    - job security: depends on budgets, contracting company, and other beaurocracy
    - have heard of some 'discrimination' towards comtractors; haven't witness this first hand yet though

NASA is a great ob but stuck on step and grade salary.

Research Interm (Current Employee)
    Greenbelt, MD

ProsLaid back environment and surrounded by very knowledgeable people.

ConsThe salary is the only thing that would make anyone walk away.

Working as a postdoc at NASA/GSFC

ProsI have autonomy do develop my own research.

ConsLittle interaction with team workers.

One of the best organizations (NASA) and contractors (SRS-ManTech) I ever worked for

Information Security Engineer (Former Employee)
    Greenbelt, MD

ProsGreat collaboration and communications flow with contractor management. Treated fairly and honestly by Federal and Contractor management. NASA believed in training all their employees and allocated realistic timelines (classroom and online) for this training. NASA management really listened to various ideas from all members of their workforce and was not narrow minded when it came to problem resolution(s). NASA took a responsible, academic and scientific approach to many issues. Working groups were encouraged as was active participation in these groups. Only reason I left was because of commuting issues, which I now regret.

ConsVery few Cons. Fair benefits etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Directorate I worked for was great.

Great

Prosthe learning experience is good

Conseverything happens too slowly, inefficient

Worked for NASA Goddard Space Flight Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center reviews and ratings. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by NASA Goddard Space Flight Center employees.