NASA Goddard Space Flight Center

www.nasa.gov

NASA Goddard Space Flight Center Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center – “GSFC office”

Friendly, fun and enriching experience.

Engineering Intern (Current Employee) Greenbelt, MD

ProsLearn a lot about the industry and you have the potential to work on whatever you want...that being said you have to seek it out. A lot of great and interesting projects are going on, as an intern you can tour them and learn as much as possible in the short time. Also, it's NASA.

ConsThe cafeteria closes at 3.

A generally friendly place to work

ProsGood work life balance and very relaxed environment. A lot of employees have been there for a long time. Which speaks about the agency.

ConsI can only speak for my organization as I heard more positive things in others. There's power struggle among management and people are very used to doing things the old way. A lot of people get to be in their current positions just because they've been there long enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange things up before you lose more good people. An organization should look out for their employees.

Very fulfilling internship experience!

Intern (Former Employee) Greenbelt, MD

ProsVery large and beautiful campus full of clubs and activities for employees. Great mall right beside campus where employees very often go for lunch. Cutting edge space-related projects being worked on all over campus. One of the best places to pursue a space career. Diversity greatly valued on campus.

ConsTried going for a co-op and full-time job after internship but did not find any luck.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease re-hire interns for co-ops and full-time jobs more often.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern; Great Experience working with Brilliant People

GOES-R Flight Project Analyst (Former Employee) Greenbelt, MD

Pros1) Ownership of the work you are assigned. I had the opportunity to take my assignment in the direction I wanted with guidance from my mentor.
    2) Meaningful work. While a select few interns I knew had very little to do, most (including myself) were actively contributing to the projects our mentors worked on.
    3) Amazing mentors. My mentor worked tirelessly to teach me, gave me exposure to many technical members outside of our work project, coached me in writing a paper for a conference based upon our summer work, and even helped me network with a contractor for future internship opportunities.
    4) Awesome facility tours and brilliant engineers and scientists to talk to

Cons1) Driving to work through rush hour traffic is a nightmare if you live on the southern side of D.C.
    2) Pay is low (but in my opinion the opportunity is worth it)

Advice to Senior ManagementPost internship opportunities earlier in the year because almost all other companies will already have offers released before many interns hear from the NASA GSFC intern program.

Working at NASA Goddard

Research Engineer (Current Employee) Greenbelt, MD

ProsEasy going and comfortable campus setting; stimulating work; good people

ConsContractors are undeniably second class and get hit by budget cuts first, so not necessarily a stable position

Good place to work.

ProsGreat campus and you get to work with some of the smartest and most interesting people. The projects are interesting.

ConsThere are too many red tapes, but that is to be expected for a government agency. Some of the annual online training seem to be superfluous if you have common sense.

There is very little social interaction, unlike at a university environment. Office space is also a bit cramped.

Intern

Research Interm (Former Employee) Greenbelt, MD

ProsLot's of learning, beautiful campus, great people to work with. Got to work on cutting edge research, very fulfilling. Very diverse community and great area if you don't stray to far from Greenbelt.

ConsOften left with nothing to do, security can be intimidating. Impossible to get in to certain parts of the building when no one is around. The rest of the DC area is not a good place to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about how you can further the experience for your interns.

Excellent work experience in a friendly environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEverybody is friendly and willing to help you with a problem you are having. They will not do your assignment for you, however if you are having a problem they will point you in the correct direction.

ConsMay be too relaxed in some departments. Good pay, but could get more at another company.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Perfect

Remote Sensing Scientist (Current Employee) Greenbelt, MD

Pros- interesting, meaningful and challenging projects/daily work
    - flexibility: dress code, hours, control over daily tasks
    - coworkers and working environment: great place to collaborate with great minds, share ideas and work with people across various departments
    - competitive salary and benefits (I'm a contractor)

ConsNot many cons from what I can see, but as my first'real' job I have nothing to compare to. However:
    - job security: depends on budgets, contracting company, and other beaurocracy
    - have heard of some 'discrimination' towards comtractors; haven't witness this first hand yet though

Working as a postdoc at NASA/GSFC

ProsI have autonomy do develop my own research.

ConsLittle interaction with team workers.

Worked for NASA Goddard Space Flight Center? Contribute to the Community!