NASA Goddard Space Flight Center

Updated November 8, 2014
Updated November 8, 2014
4.5

CEO

A fantastic job in the public sector

Former Employee - Research Intern in Greenbelt, MD
    Former Employee - Research Intern in Greenbelt, MD

I worked at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It was an interesting contrast with the typical university environment at which research occurs. As a pure research intern, I found the work environment more laid-back and flexible than the engineering departments, which seem to be more hierarchical, structured, and time-pressed. Overall, there was a great sense of comraderie and collaboration as researchers were not vying for bigger and larger reputation. The overall campus culture is great; employees have organized numerous very active clubs.

Cons

On the research side, it can be frustrating to always be looking for grants and submitting projects for telescopes but getting them turned down, simply due to the sheer number of project proposals. Although most civil servants at NASA have very stable jobs, the vast majority of employees are independent contractors, meaning no benefits and no guaranteed job stability. In that situation, it's scary to think that your job depends directly on congresspeople like Michelle Bachmann and the other goons on the Committee of Science, Space, and Technology on Capitol hill. As a researcher, there is also pretty much no "promotion" since you just continue researching.

Stop having mandatory career development classes!

Great experience as Intern doing spacecraft dynamics simulation!

Former Employee - Spacecraft Dynamics Simulation in Greenbelt, MD
    Former Employee - Spacecraft Dynamics Simulation in Greenbelt, MD

I worked at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Great environment, nice and intelligent people, the campus is really nice with thousands upon thousands of things to look at and explore, the food was great, you're working on amazing projects that you end up sounding like a genius talking about.

Cons

The pay is good, but not great. I made $1,800 over 6 weeks.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Positive Internship Experience

Former Employee - NASA Optics in Greenbelt, MD
    Former Employee - NASA Optics in Greenbelt, MD

I worked at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere is great. It was a wonderful learning experience and I got to work on cool projects as well as get a lot of inside tours of other projects going on. They also provided a lot of workshops to help interns for their careers later in life.

Cons

I couldn't being my real project for my internship until I received a specific eye exam. It took me around 4 weeks out of my 10 week internship to even get the eye exam so I couldn't begin working on my actual project for the first month.

Great Internship Experience!

I worked at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center

Pros

Very friendly atmosphere with a great technical staff. The opportunities at NASA goddard are incredible. It's a great atmosphere to learn from the best scientists and engineers in the business.

Cons

A little laid-back.Has a more research oriented which makes the pace somewhat slow. However, you can always work at the pace you set despite having no pressure.

Increase interactions of work related material between team members.

Intern

Current Employee - Intern in Greenbelt, MD
    Current Employee - Intern in Greenbelt, MD

I have been working at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The Best is thing is how people interact with each other and how willing they are to help at any time.

Cons

Compared to private industry, salaries are considerably lower, but those who work at NASA so it because they love it not for the pay.

Great place to intern

Current Employee - Business
    Current Employee - Business

Pros

great place to intern (great)

Cons

not many cons working here

na

An excellent opportunity to be around bright and motivated people working toward a spectacular goal.

Former Employee - Software Developer in Greenbelt, MD
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Greenbelt, MD

I worked at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You're surrounded by intelligent people everyday and will learn so much more than you'd expect from everyone. Most people are willing to help you and walk over to talk at any time. They have great on campus restaurants and wonderful places to eat at outside. The campus is mind bogglingly large but there are sidewalks everywhere and bikes for anyone to ride. They're always having presentations from interesting people e.g., Astronauts or Nobel prize winners.

Cons

Management seemed to have no time for anyone beneath them and if you had a question only they could answer you would have a difficult time getting an answer, and sometimes they would ignore it all together whether or not it was an email or an in person conversation. Management is not motivated to help you find other positions within the company that you would be more suitable to fill. Some people there were really nice but when you're simply walking around a building or outside you see a lot of stuck up people who seem to behave like they're smarter than you and do not want to waste their time acknowledging you.

Talk with staff on a more personal and human level.

NASA Goddard

Former Employee - UNIX Administrator in Greenbelt, MD
    Former Employee - UNIX Administrator in Greenbelt, MD

I worked at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Academic research environment; smart, capable people to work with

Cons

Diminishing Federal funding have federal employees struggling to justify keeping their jobs (multiple assistant directors) and contractors become disposable

Less management but I guess federal employees are being recycle to already occupied positions.

Great place to work if you enjoy being challenged and working on projects that have never been done before.

Current Employee - Electrical Signal Processing in Greenbelt, MD
    Current Employee - Electrical Signal Processing in Greenbelt, MD

I have been working at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, Great learning experience, Freedom to innovate.

Cons

You can work yourself to the ground

Allow for weekly meetings between interns and mentors to discuss progress and project related things.

Summer Intern

Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in Greenbelt, MD
    Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in Greenbelt, MD

I worked at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very interesting, lots of work to be done. Very team focused atmosphere that rewarded completion of the mission and all that it entailed. Also large amount of guest speakers from around the Center told what was going on.

Cons

Very few to none, only comment after working two summers at NASA is that the environment seems to be slightly slow paced, but that's what happens given the fact that is a government agency with very stringent safety standards.

NASA Goddard Space Flight Center Photos