NASA Goddard Space Flight Center

CEO

NASA is NASA

Current Employee - Robotics Engineer  in  Greenbelt, MD
    Current Employee - Robotics Engineer in Greenbelt, MD

I have been working at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hands on projects. Projects fly in space. Varying day to day responsibilities and technical challenges

Cons

Long hours at times. Vacations that get in the way of on-orbit activities must be rescheduled

Great Summer Experience!

I worked at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center

Pros

Lots of experience! Wherever you go they are doing cool and interesting projects. Everyone is very friendly and happy.

Cons

I don't think there were any cons to my time at Goddard

Positive internship experience

I worked at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center as an intern

Pros

It's NASA: you get to work on cool projects with big impact. Employees generally seem happy, friendly, and enthusiastic to collaborate. The team I was on hung out after work and generally seemed close.

Cons

Despite the great experience, intern pay is not competitive. Many of the buildings look like crumbling relics of the cold war. The campus is nice, expansive and wooded, but it's a bit of a pain to have to drive to different buildings because the shuttle is slow.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Friendly, fun and enriching experience.

Current Employee - Engineering Intern  in  Greenbelt, MD
    Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Greenbelt, MD

I have been working at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Learn a lot about the industry and you have the potential to work on whatever you want...that being said you have to seek it out. A lot of great and interesting projects are going on, as an intern you can tour them and learn as much as possible in the short time. Also, it's NASA.

Cons

The cafeteria closes at 3.

A generally friendly place to work

I have been working at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center full-time

Pros

Good work life balance and very relaxed environment. A lot of employees have been there for a long time. Which speaks about the agency.

Cons

I can only speak for my organization as I heard more positive things in others. There's power struggle among management and people are very used to doing things the old way. A lot of people get to be in their current positions just because they've been there long enough.

Change things up before you lose more good people. An organization should look out for their employees.

Very fulfilling internship experience!

Former Employee - Intern  in  Greenbelt, MD
    Former Employee - Intern in Greenbelt, MD

I worked at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very large and beautiful campus full of clubs and activities for employees. Great mall right beside campus where employees very often go for lunch. Cutting edge space-related projects being worked on all over campus. One of the best places to pursue a space career. Diversity greatly valued on campus.

Cons

Tried going for a co-op and full-time job after internship but did not find any luck.

Please re-hire interns for co-ops and full-time jobs more often.

Intern; Great Experience working with Brilliant People

Former Employee - GOES-R Flight Project Analyst  in  Greenbelt, MD
    Former Employee - GOES-R Flight Project Analyst in Greenbelt, MD

I worked at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center as an intern for less than a year

Pros

1) Ownership of the work you are assigned. I had the opportunity to take my assignment in the direction I wanted with guidance from my mentor.
    2) Meaningful work. While a select few interns I knew had very little to do, most (including myself) were actively contributing to the projects our mentors worked on.
    3) Amazing mentors. My mentor worked tirelessly to teach me, gave me exposure to many technical members outside of our work project, coached me in writing a paper for a conference based upon our summer work, and even helped me network with a contractor for future internship opportunities.
    4) Awesome facility tours and brilliant engineers and scientists to talk to

Cons

1) Driving to work through rush hour traffic is a nightmare if you live on the southern side of D.C.
    2) Pay is low (but in my opinion the opportunity is worth it)

Post internship opportunities earlier in the year because almost all other companies will already have offers released before many interns hear from the NASA GSFC intern program.

Working at NASA Goddard

Current Employee - Research Engineer  in  Greenbelt, MD
    Current Employee - Research Engineer in Greenbelt, MD

I have been working at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Easy going and comfortable campus setting; stimulating work; good people

Cons

Contractors are undeniably second class and get hit by budget cuts first, so not necessarily a stable position

Good place to work.

I have been working at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center

Pros

Great campus and you get to work with some of the smartest and most interesting people. The projects are interesting.

Cons

There are too many red tapes, but that is to be expected for a government agency. Some of the annual online training seem to be superfluous if you have common sense.

There is very little social interaction, unlike at a university environment. Office space is also a bit cramped.

Intern

Former Employee - Research Interm  in  Greenbelt, MD
    Former Employee - Research Interm in Greenbelt, MD

I worked at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Lot's of learning, beautiful campus, great people to work with. Got to work on cutting edge research, very fulfilling. Very diverse community and great area if you don't stray to far from Greenbelt.

Cons

Often left with nothing to do, security can be intimidating. Impossible to get in to certain parts of the building when no one is around. The rest of the DC area is not a good place to be.

Think about how you can further the experience for your interns.

Worked for NASA Goddard Space Flight Center? Contribute to the Community!