NASA Reviews

Updated March 12, 2015
167 reviews filtered by
4.3
NASA NASA Administrator Charles F. Bolden, Jr.
Charles F. Bolden, Jr.

Pros
  • Opportunity to learn new things, move within the Agency, work-life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Job security, benefits, interaction with similar professionals nationwide (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of red-tape when sometimes the best solution is to keep it simple (in 7 reviews)

• It is government-run, so there is a lot of bureaucracy involved (in 3 reviews)

1. Plesant experience, learned a lot

Current Employee - Intern in Kennedy Space Center, FL
    Current Employee - Intern in Kennedy Space Center, FL

I have been working at NASA

Pros

Learned a lot, relative freedom,

Cons

Long commute, limited job assignments

2. Aeronautics Academy: Pinnacle of internships for Aero Nerds

Former Intern - Research Associate in Hampton, VA
    Former Intern - Research Associate in Hampton, VA

I worked at NASA as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Unforgettable experience. The NASA Academies are kind of "special" among other NASA internships. Compensation's a bit better, you work on a team, you do an open-ended ambitious project, and perhaps the best part: All kinds of tours of cool facilities and aircraft/spacecraft, and seminars/meetings with leaders and experts - For example, we got a close up tour of an F-22 Raptor at Langley AFB, and it was awesome.

Cons

Unlike in industry where a successful internship can almost guarantee a full time job offer, government is... government. You'll have to apply just like everyone else, make it through the "weed-out" software, etc. before any personal sponsorship will mean anything.

Up your game on social media and modern methods of spreading your word to gain more national support for NASA. Also, invest more into fueling young minds and innovation. Don't lose the cutting edge.

3. Enables me to logistically know how to place effectively and whats needed in the field industry.

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Hacienda Heights, Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Hacienda Heights, Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at NASA part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Provides Versatility, Developmental Service out of the ordinary in to an allowable source of participation.

Cons

Challenging These abilities according to good and healthy bushiness practices. may not participate.

Deriving from a an Applied Management & Science Decisions study. This process has been a marvelous experience that one can be satisfied with..

5. Great environment but projects can be stifled by lack of money.

Former Employee - Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at NASA

Pros

They fully support a safety-first working environment.

Cons

not a lot of money always for projects.

nothing to add.

6. Good people, Great place to work

Current Employee - Programmer in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Programmer in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at NASA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lot's of people who care about what they do. Good management (of course, not all branches have great management) allows discretion to employees to develop new processes & push discovery.

Cons

NASA probably does best with a clear big mission -- like going to the moon in the 1960s. Lot's of scientists are doing great work at NASA, but visibility is often low. Most of these folks would prefer to stay away from the spotlight, but some publicity needed to remind public of value created by funding science & exploration.

7. Incredible experience with opportunities to grow.

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Hampton, VA
    Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Hampton, VA

I worked at NASA as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I was able to get to know a lot of really wonderful, intelligent and passionate people--all of which were more than willing to let me sit in on their projects for a day to see different sides of the company. Also plenty of opportunities for tours, and overall very motivating atmosphere.

Cons

Since it's a government institution, applying for funding for certain projects seems like a struggle--some projects are over-funded but they blow the money anyway so that they won't get less funding the next year, and some projects are struggling to apply for funding and their research may suffer as consequence. As an intern I didn't see this much, but I did hear stories of the funding and subsequent spending habits of other branches that my peers were interning at.

You work for an incredible and inspiring institution

8. Lovely. Learned new things

I worked at NASA

Pros

Interesting work setup and nice people

Cons

Not many perks and added benefits provided by NASA

Allow people to grow and rise in NASA at a much higer rate

9. Research Intern

Former Employee - Research Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Research Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at NASA

Pros

Company reputation, autonomy in role, helpful mentorship program, potential to make great connections.

Cons

Very slow paced and job duties were too ambiguous, The internship program was not organized and did not provide a hands-on environment where I could connect with other interns.

Fit the internship to the candidate better, rather than having intern candidates blindly apply to jobs they may or may not be a fit for.

10. It's NASA!!

Former Employee - Intern in Edwards AFB, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Edwards AFB, CA

I worked at NASA

Pros

I was an intern at AFRC (or at the time DFRC) and it was a great place to be at. Very friendly and most people were willing to help out an intern.

Cons

I can't think of any.

11. NASA is a great place to work

I worked at NASA

Pros

Great people accomplishing great work. It's no wonder it has been voted the best place to work in the federal government several years running.

Cons

It's tough to get a job there due to budget constraints. Also, it is challenging to accomplish all the desired projects and work due to limited budget.

Keep up the great job prioritizing the projects and programs, working to secure funding, and looking at innovative ways to improve the work environment.