NASA

www.nasa.gov

NASA Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

NASA NASA Administrator Charles F. Bolden, Jr.

Charles F. Bolden, Jr.

Pros
  • Opportunity to learn new things, move within the Agency, work-life balance(in 9 reviews)

• Pay is a bit lower than industry, but job security is strong(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are ambitious you are likely to become frustrated in the government red tape(in 6 reviews)

• It is government-run, so there is a lot of bureaucracy involved(in 3 reviews)

Great

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsPeople are extremely nice and welcoming, looks incredible on resume, opportunity to meet astronauts, policymakers, and nobel prize winners, lots of events to go to, very cordial environment

Conssome NASA employees seem to have been discouraged from budget cuts and changes brought in by each administration, and this can reflect poorly on the overall morale of the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemind everyone how incredible NASA's history and prestige is, and how people throughout the world look at NASA as a leader - and if you work for this agency - be proud. Don't get down on the budget cuts...stay positive and keep that amazing cordial environment.

Great place to work

Lead Engineer (Current Employee) Titusville, FL

ProsThe people here are dedicated professionals, many of whom have worked in the space program for decades. They have a passion for NASA and for space which shows in their attitudes and work.

ConsChange at NASA takes place at a glacial pace. Technical innovation is prized but any other kind of change is frowned upon. Even technical innovation, though valued, takes a long time to implement. Promotions are difficult to come by as the organization is very top heavy with few people interested in retiring.

Advice to Senior ManagementNASA needs to get away from its risk averse culture and back to being the organization that put men on the moon.

Surrounded by brilliant people

Aerospace Engineer (Former Employee) Kennedy Space Center, FL

ProsThe genius behind almost every person that worked there

Consbureaucratic red tape and inability to change ineffiencies

Advice to Senior ManagementListen carefully to the experts you hired on board.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was grrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!

Computer Scientist (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsI got to go into space, I'd never been before because I don't have a spaceship. Promotions were plentiful. Great food. The restrooms were always busy and smelled awful.

ConsLots of politics, they didn't give me my own spaceship. I would have benefited from being able to have my own. It's kind of dangerous if you think about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive us some more money, give us some more spaceships and rockets and stuff. We need more benefits in this crazy world.

aerospace engineer

Prosinteresting work. The people are great to work with. Always willing to help and give a hand. The atmosphere is relaxed and there is a good work/life balance.

ConsIt is hard to get promoted within engineering. You have to take the administrative route to really get anywhere.
    Salary is low considering that there are no real bonuses (just some token stuff).

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a consistent technical ladder across NASA centers.Engineers will feel motivated. Give the engineers something to shoot for.

Excellent learning opportunity for interns

Intern (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsIntern compensation, great research environment, interns treated very well.

ConsEmployee compensation, food options, no bonuses or overtime, decreasing funding, redundancy

Awesome experience

Consultant (Current Employee) Wise, VA

Pros- You get to work with data from NASA's Earth Observation Satellites
    - You get to learn a lot about remote sensing and GIS
    - You get to spend a lot of time with some great minds

Cons- The pay is a bit lower than what you would normally get in any internship program, but its worth it

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Management Analyst

ProsOpportunity to learn new things, move within the Agency, work-life balance.

ConsToo much red tape, standing army workforce waiting to retire.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline, adapt, forget about past core competencies and change for the future of the Agency that doesn't need NASA oversight for commercial companies to thrive.

The one and only place to work, except the pay is low.

Engineering Intern (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsPeople are extremely nice. A public sector job means low worry and stress, but not to the point if disrespectfully easy. You see immediate outcomes from you actions and projects, which can be rewarding. There is not one person who isn't passionate about working here and doing what they love. From what I hear through conversations between full-time employees, layoffs are not even a concern. There is no negativity in terms of attitudes.

ConsReality of budget cuts. Entry level hires expect to be paid <40k here.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnless management can get engineers being paid 90K starting here, not much need for advice. Management in my experience was very open to communication and understanding on a personal level.

GREAT PLACE TO WORK

Web Editor (Current Employee)

Proseverything was grea there co workers were great

Conscan't complete with other silicon valley companies

Worked for NASA? Contribute to the Community!