NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory

Updated August 24, 2014

4.2

NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory Director Dr. Charles Elachi
Dr. Charles Elachi

Pros
  • Also, great 403b plan and a 9/80 work schedule (in 12 reviews)

• Compensation and benefits are great, very good work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Budget cuts are a constant threat (in 4 reviews)

• Career growth can vary greatly and salary compensation is not the best for the number of hours you may put in (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Brief

I have been working at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory

Pros

Hours pay benefits work freddom

Cons

control pay responsibility advancement perks

Too much leeway given to suprevisors

The greatest place I've worked, with tons of super smart, emotionally intelligent folks doing great work

I worked at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- work on projects no one else can do, that impact or world, that will be in place forever (e.g. Curiosity on Mars)
    - work with people who are incredibly good at what they do. Great place to learn, regardless of
    - emotional intelligence/mgmt skills are better than other research labs I've worked in
    - way better environment than the several other NASA centers I've worked for/with (no civil service system)

Cons

- be prepared to work your arse off if you're on a flight project (it's worth it, so not really a con)
    - if you're in a high demand area (e.g. software) it's a pay cut versus commercial industry
    - there is some bureaucracy, probably on par with traditional companies vs startups, nothing like full NASA center in my experience

Make a difference in this world and others, for pretty okay compensation.

Current Employee - Intern  in  La Canada, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in La Canada, CA

I have been working at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory as an intern for more than 3 years

Pros

There are few other places on earth where you can do the sort of work they do at JPL. If space is your thing, you will find something new to be excited about every day.

Cons

The pay is not quite as nice as it would be for a similar position in the private sector. There is also quite a bit of institutional inertia.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic place to work though ultimately it didn't fit with my long-term career goals

I worked at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory full-time

Pros

The organization on the whole is outstanding, particularly on Lab as opposed to satellite offices. There is a strong emphasis placed on mentorship and career growth. People frequently mention that they didn't come here intending to make a career out of it but have found that they stayed for decades.

Cons

If you are a contractor as opposed to a JPL employee some of the formal benefits of facilities and mentorship are harder to access. Like all governmental agencies it is subject to the strange whims of people very far removed from the actual implementation.

An amazing place to work. Relaxed, laid-back, yet professional and challenging. A breath of fresh air in aerospace.

Current Employee - Senior Principal Engineer  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Engineer in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Working here is like working on a college campus. Not completely surprising since it is really owned and run by Cal Tech on NASA's money. People are far more concerned about the quality of the job you do than on exactly what time you arrive in the morning or whether you wear button-down shirts. Great work/life balance!

Cons

1) Parking can be challenging. The lot that is accessible by foot fills up before 8:30 in the morning and the other available lot is literally miles away and requires a shuttle bus to get into work. That's supposed to be fixed soon with a new parking structure however. 2) This is an engineering/scientific/research environment. For a single man, the male/female ratio is dismal.

I've only been here a few months, but so far I have no advice to give. I'm happy with all the management I have seen thus far.

Amazing internship experience

Former Employee - Academic Part Time  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Academic Part Time in Pasadena, CA

I worked at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory as an intern for more than a year

Pros

I worked as an Academic Part Time (APX) for just over two years (full time during Summers, half time during school). I learned more in a single summer at JPL than I did in four years of university. I was able to make meaningful contributions to multiple projects (I'll have code flying in space in a few years!). I had incredible mentors that were very enabling of my opportunities. Awesome people everywhere to talk to who were all working on interesting and diverse projects.

My advice to future APX: I think a lot of the internship experience depends on your mentor. If they're not giving you interesting work then just tell them you want to try doing something more challenging and I'm sure they'll be happy to oblige. I've seen an intern just complacently sit around and fill orders for people because he was too afraid to ask to be given some technical work. Maybe he was just scared they'd realize he didn't know anything? Hint: all (first-time) interns don't know anything at first. Just communicate openly about what you do and do not know, and ask for help or to be pointed in the right direction whenever you can. Good luck!

Cons

As an intern, I didn't have to worry too much about the red tape, but I could definitely see it restricting my managers' progress, especially on smaller projects. Everyone working there is really busy so sometimes it was hard to get direction on a project.

There needs to be class E missions for Cubesats. If NASA wants to do Cubesats, they're going to have to be willing to let them have a higher failure rate. $3M in overhead on a $6M project is just absurd.

flight technician

Former Employee - Flight Technician  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Flight Technician in Pasadena, CA

I worked at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

The best place of employment ever! the best bunch of people i have ever worked with

Cons

can't really think of any sorry

Keep doing what your doing

OK

I have been working at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory

Pros

RDO pay location sunshine lucrative

Cons

overwork stress long hours summer heat

Perfect for the right situation

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Pasadena, CA

I worked at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Hard work pays off and it's a fun place to be during successful launches

Cons

Pay is not that competitive

Wonderful environment but don't promote top performers

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation and benefits are great, very good work/life balance. Flexible when it comes to days off, I never feel like I will get in trouble for taking a sick day when I need it. People are open to teach and help you understand the ways things work at a government contractor facility. organization has strong values and offers support when you feel something unethical is going on.

Cons

There has not been much opportunity to grow regardless of stellar performance. The politics and bureaucracy are through the roof at all levels. Strongly opposed to change, even if it will increase work efficiency and retain top talent.

Promote your top talent or you will continue to loose them to your competitors. Don't you know its more expensive to hire a brand new person that to give your stars a raise and promotion?

Worked for NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!