NASDAQ OMX Group Reviews

105 reviews filtered by
3.1
NASDAQ OMX Group Chief Executive Officer Bob Greifeld
Bob Greifeld

Pros
  • Good benefits including 6% 401(k) match, but no public transportation stipend (in 7 reviews)

• Brand recognition, intense work environment, never a dull moment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of senior management are not that bright; others are excellent (in 11 reviews)

• Upper Management have no clue on the business area I worked under (in 5 reviews)

1. Company in search of a new profitable core business......

Former Employee - Database Administrator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in New York, NY

I worked at NASDAQ OMX Group

Pros

The company has a recognizable name.
    I had many dedicated and smart colleagues.
    The benefits, pay and vacation are adequate.

Cons

This is a company in search of a new core business, the basic exchange is not a profitable enterprise anymore. They keep buying new companies trying to build a solid revenue stream and have IMO made a number of mistakes. This has created a constantly shifting landscape with many rounds of scaling back.
    It can be a nerve wracking environment where lines of loyalty change.
    Change can be good but here it seems desperate.

The culture of constant mergers, overlaps, and cutbacks needs to decrease.
    When you purchase companies there needs to be more consideration of the personal that come with those purchases.

A company in search of a purpose

I worked at NASDAQ OMX Group

Pros

Apparently they have a reputation for paying above market - but this wasn't my experience!

I endorse the focus on driving true business performance with full transparency

Cons

This is essentially and organization that doesn't pretend to be motivated by anything other than the profit motive. It has no real purpose, other than to create the infrastructure whereby rich people and companies can make themselves richer. For either new grads who want to change the world or old hacks who no better but still need a purpose - cross this one off your list

Stop focusing on financial engineering to achieve meaningless margin targets and start running your business as it should be run: customers first but also for the true benefits of shareholders and employees. Shareholder value by the way, is built on the twin pillars of long-term financial and business discipline.....not the tyranny of the quarterly EPS increase.

Overly political and much backstabbing goes around.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at NASDAQ OMX Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Before my company was acquired by NASDAQ, It used to be quite fun to work here with all the facilities like free milk, free use of DIY coffee-maker, fussball table and free BBQ every Fridays. There's also no time policy, you come in whenever you like and leave about 8 hours later. Also, mostly no dress-code, so you can come in your t-shirts and jeans

Cons

When the takeover occurred, the American corporate system starts to be enforced. It's easy for someone to talk behind somebody else's back. For some reason, the HR is more powerful and has more influence than the directors. Report someone to HR and that person easily gets a warning letter for some minor issues. No empathy at staff's well-being. Weak leadership considering this situation has caused greater turnovers the company has ever seen since its early days.

The start-up spirit is no longer there. Focus not only on training, but on principles, values and integrity. A lot of conversation dissing clients occurred during company meetings and this clearly shows a lot of disrespect towards loyal clients. If the leadership diss clients, it is impossible for employees to show respect or to go extra mile towards clients.

5. NASDAQ is a great place for opportunity and growth.

I have been working at NASDAQ OMX Group

Pros

The team environment allows for individuals to learn from experienced colleagues and to share knowledge. Compensation and perks are also a plus!

Cons

Sometimes there are long hours depending on the team you work on.

6. NASDAQ offers a stimulating environment, where daily activities vary greatly.

Current Employee - Software in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Software in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at NASDAQ OMX Group

Pros

Relaxed, flexible and usually informal environment that encourages individual input and self motivation. Daily activities vary greatly, offering variety and challenge. Regular client interaction on a global level makes the company feel grounded in the real world.

Cons

Large organisation which unfortunately brings a fair degree of bureaucracy with it. Training opportunities tend to be limited. Pay is industry standard.

Greater access to training of employees would be beneficial to all. More allowance for R&D activities would help to get fresh IT ideas into the current products, as some of these are somewhat dated.

7. Positive

I worked at NASDAQ OMX Group

Pros

Good Pay to Start, Good Benefits

Cons

No upward mobility, Poor Marketing for Certain Products

Develop People Internally and Educate Them On All Products and Services

8. Internship

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at NASDAQ OMX Group as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I thoroughly enjoyed interning for NASDAQ. A major positive was that there was always something for me to do (and it wasn't administrative work). My boss was very intelligent and wanted me to get the most out of the experience. I would recommend interning here to anyone interested in the field.

Cons

You don't interact with anyone beyond your direct supervisor

The name is very well-known but this was the worst career choice I've ever made.

I worked at NASDAQ OMX Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company is very well-known and is easily recognizable.
    There were a lot of benefits that came with the job (because of the connections to major public companies, we also received discounts and perks at these places).
    I loved my coworkers and I liked my manager on a personal level.
    They have locations across the world and you can try to transfer to other countries as part of a 'work abroad' program.

Cons

I was promised many things (advancement opportunities, job expectations, total salary, lowest commission possible, etc) in the interview process and none of it turned out to be true. (This also happened with many other people I worked with- we all ended up leaving MUCH better paying jobs based on these false expectations)
    We were taught all these 'amazing' things about the products I sold but, after talking with real users in the market place, seeing competitors' products, and trying to demo our products, I realized they are some of the worst and are in no way competitive (in quality or price).
    I personally came in with a lot of experience but they offer no support or real training. Because of this, I saw many colleagues who came in with less experience struggle and fail miserably as they tried to figure things out on their own.
    The overall morals that are held and encouraged by management are atrocious. You are fully expected to try to pull the wool over clients' eyes to make any sell and are supported if you get caught stealing deals from colleagues. The two things I heard most often were "Ask for forgiveness, not for permission," and "I don't have morals when it comes to business."
    I see no strength in the company itself- they constantly just buy up-and-coming start-ups, sell said start-ups products without improving or growing said start-up's products, until these products are no longer competitive and eventually die. They believe they will be successful completely based on the notion of "It will sell because we're NASDAQ," albeit my previous statement and the fact that NASDAQ is only really known in the listings market.

Create a better internal culture.
    Hold people accountable for not just numbers but for the rules set forth by the company.
    Organize on-boarding training that is job or department specific.
    Increase your dev department so that you can improve and grow your technology (you do call yourself a "global technology" company after all) not just support issues that arise with the existing systems you have acquired.

10. Good company.

I worked at NASDAQ OMX Group

Pros

Good salary and benefits with the firm.

Cons

Long, brutal hours but not unusual for the industry.

Increase staff.

not a bad place to work if you are lucky work in the good team

Former Employee - Software Developer in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at NASDAQ OMX Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Relax working env, good people, good career prospective, HR training.

Cons

Some people are very hard to work with.

listen more to new employees