NAVFAC Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.1
CEO

1. I worked here for most of my career.

Pros

Professional agency with many talented employees. Many have been there for years. Reward their employees. Good benefits and flexible hours.

Cons

Depending on where you live the commute can be very draining. With all the budget cuts the workload can get overwhelming.

2. Program Analyst

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at NAVFAC (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable job, good benefits, valuable work

Cons

bureaucracy, red tape, typical government culture

3. Contract Specialist

I have been working at NAVFAC full-time

Pros

-Great work-personal life balance. -Relaxed dress code -Career Opportunities available -Great pay and benefits -Good office environment

Cons

-Lack of communication throughout the office often times creates confusion and results in increase time creating contracts. -While there are opportunities to move up working level employees cap out at GS-12. -Significant workload that results less time that supervisors can spend with interns.

Advice to Management

Spend more time effectively communicating with other higher level people and subordinate within the office so everyone can be on the same page. -Spend more time communicating/mentoring with interns because they are the future of the organization

Technically Deficient

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at NAVFAC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

8 – 4:30 work day and medical benefits

Cons

Knowledgeable hard workers are subjected to work overload, while socialites drink coffee in the isles and take numerous training trips. Most of the workforce is technically deficient, arrogant self-centered individuals and the client's needs are never put first.

Advice to Management

The NAVFAC culture of great upper level supervisors supported by equally great lower supervisors is lost. This has caused a low level of technical workforce to be employed which will not challenge the deficient supervisors. This cancer has grown for almost two decades and the customers have lost confidence in NAVFAC as a means of Engineering solutions and Contracting of new facilities and facility repair.

6. So far great. Best work environment I've ever been in. Really enjoying it thus far

Pros

Variety of work. Flexible schedule. Lots of travel / TAD if you like that sort of thing.

Cons

The only thing if you are not management in the environmental business line there is a lot of TAD so might be hard with a family

Eh very bad experience. Don't bother applying or working here. Let them suffer. Do not contract with them either.

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at NAVFAC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Government benefits ofcourse thats it

Cons

-No job security -At the time offer I was told one salary and I was confused and was not even given final offer -HRO was rude and does not communicate -Running out of money -Salary so low and security officers when you give them truth on forms red tape you -Discrispectful and discrimination based on skin color -Do not follow procedure or answer emails. -Low salary, hire for cheap and then they do not communicate with you procedure. -Performs unethical practices when it comes to security clearances. I won't say much I know they are monitoring but it just not right. CHANGE

Advice to Management

-Hire HRO who actually work and communicate with people because when you need people no matter what agency you are we will not work for you. Even as a contractor we will not work. I have not seen this disrespectful, discriminating, and agency who does not communicate. -Hire security officer who are actually concerned about telling the truth instead of not communicating -DO NOT DISCRIMNATE AGAINST SKIN COLOR -Change culture answer the emails communicate for god sake -Fire lazy employees and employees who play favoritism -Stop the control everyone likes freedom stop the control by favoritism -Stop unethical practices when doing clearances such as discrimination based on skin color. Stop them

8. Organization with High-level of Values

Current Employee - FMD Director in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - FMD Director in San Diego, CA

Pros

Highly professional organization Excellent time-off accumulation Current move to provide training Effort toward succession planning

Cons

Promotions are typically possible by moving around within the organization, rather than in one's current job. High-level of organizational values Good work-life balance with latitude given to telework

Advice to Management

Keep working with headquarters to make the field's life easier and more enjoyable work place.

Boring but stable and low stress

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NAVFAC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits Stability Low expectations

Cons

Dull working environment Old, outdated offices

Advice to Management

Hold at least one internal meeting per week to keep everyone pulling in the same direction.

Overseas Tour

Current Employee - Facilities Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Facilities Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at NAVFAC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Perks were great!! Met a lot of great people!!

Cons

It's hard to get back in once you get out. It's also very difficult to promote without an egineering degree.

Advice to Management

Leadership positions should be filled based on one's ability to lead rather, a degree that displays one's mathematical abilities.

Some good people, but bad management at every level

Current Employee - Contract Specialist
    Current Employee - Contract Specialist

I have been working at NAVFAC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Government benefits are hard to beat. If you work more than 40 hours in a weak you have to be compensated, but that usually only happens in September. Paycheck comes every 2 weeks like clockwork. I work in a field office, so I work with good people who care and work hard. There are opportunities to move up quickly if you're willing to move around the country.

Cons

Currently downsizing, and are cutting knowledgeable and experienced people vs. the dead weight. Business processes are written by people who don't actually do the work. The bureaucracy fluctuates from mildly irritating to suffocating. Management will throw employees under the bus in a second to make themselves look good. Micromanagement at every level can cause workflow to grind to a halt. People in decision making positions won't actually make decisions, but they will have dozens meetings about the issue.

Advice to Management

Come down from the ivory tower every once in a while to talk to employees, and find out what it actually takes to serve our customers. Give employees the resources and training to do their jobs effectively, and then give them the freedom to get the work done. Hold managers and supervisors accountable for dragging out solvable problems.

RSS Feed </> Embed