NAVFAC

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Organization in which Diversity is Strongly Integrated into its Culture

Facilities Management Division Director (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsEven in a Non-exempt status, employees get paid for overtime; excellent camaradarie; a genuine understanding of the need for employee development and training; employees are loyal to the mission; leadership is extremely open to changes that improve efficiency.

ConsTight resources due to forces outside of the control of organization executives (control lies in Washington, DC) forces field employees to establish workarounds; in many cases, effecting change takes time because of the size of the bureaucracy and the need to gain maximum concurrence throughout the business line.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working on the powers that be to give more local control so that you aren't strapped with inefficiencies.

Good place to work, but limited mobility.

ProsService to the Navy mission is rewarding. Interesting work, good benefits and ample amount of training opportunities. Work schedules are flexible which affords a good work-life balance. A professional organization.

ConsWork can be challenging and many offices/departments are under staffed. There is little room for local mobility, must be willing to move to a region where a headquarters is located.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider offering higher paying job opportunities at the installation level to improve quality of service level to the fleet.

Great benefits most people working here just for the retirement that is offered, no one lactually ikes their job

ProsGreat benefits, flexible working hours allow good life-work balance, vacation accrual is comperable to other industry or better.

ConsGovernment benefits are awesome, but the general office conversation is how much time do you have left, seems like most employes are just here for the retirement no one actually likes their job. Attitude is mostly can't wait to retire, the command I'm in is under scruttiny and micro-managed constantly

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees to do there job, don't get involved in matters that you have employees hired for, when replacing outgoing employees hire for experience not who is your buddy. Allow the system to work rather then circumventing.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Typical Government Agency - Always in Flux

Pros-Stable work environment (only happens when a base closure occurs or when absolutely necessary)

-Provides good training programs (if you seek them out and ONLY if your boss allows it)

-Location is good

Cons-Very narrow environment (promotions only occur with those who are well liked)

-Very behind the times (technology used is outdated, flexible work environments are not really flexible)

-Poor training for management (management has NO clue how to get the best out of their people)

-Constant turnover and furloughs

-Pay never really improves (raises have not been granted in a very long time)

Advice to Senior ManagementI would recommend that this particular command do a complete overhaul. Bring in consultants to root out the unproductive areas, usher in programs to teach managers how to truly motivate and LEAD employees. Also, management should work hard to encourage employees to pursue leadership and training programs.

Great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsProfessional environment with an important mission. Challenging work with good benefits and security. Leadership actually listens to people in the organization and cares about professional development of their workforce.

ConsWork-life balance can be challenging in a military organization. The current budget environment makes it difficult to do the job and makes change necessary but hard.

Life/work balance can be achieved

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Norfolk, VA

ProsLife/work balance is good; my coworkers are atypical of the government worker stereotype; they work hard and try very hard to keep their customers happy, working here makes you feel patriotic and like you are doing something good for the Navy; good benefits

ConsCan be furloughed or experience sequestration; too much bureaucracy, technologically behind at times with outdated equipment, not much opportunities for salary growth once you reach step 10

It has been a very good place to work

Management (Current Employee)
    Honolulu, HI

ProsFlexible schedules, good people, meaningful relavant work.

ConsSequestration, Continuing resolutions, Hiring freeze, corporate DC bias, that forgets what it is like in the field.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of your people. Find the Less in "Do less with Less" Other wise it is still Do more with Less.

Department Head

ProsGood Pay and Benefits. Decently challenging, and moderately satisfying work.

ConsSeniority based retention/pay system. Can't fire bad people, Takes too long to hire good people. Upward mobility is limited. Matrix organization makes accountability, management, and leadership positions unclear (difficult to get answers)... and adds unnecessary onion layers to moderately upper management.

Construction Manager

Construction Manager (Current Employee)
    Camp Lejeune, NC

ProsThe govenrment in general offers great benefits and are very family oriented with the vacation you earn and holidays. They provide pretty good pay for young professionals and recent graduates. The coworkers, at least in my office, are very good to work with. They also have overseas opportunities avaivalble if you are interested. That includse the ability to return to your current position after your tour of 3-5 years.

ConsThe majority of management does not seem accessible or involved with the employees. There is not alot of room for advancment in my office. The government furloughs and shutdowns are very stressful.

Both a blessing and a curse.

Utility Engineering Technician (Former Employee)
    Great Lakes, IL

ProsReasonable pay and wonderful people.

ConsComplaining, temper tantrum throwing, eye rolling, supervision, can be embarrassing at times.

You may be assigned a three month task and when you complete it you may be told "Oh, didn't we tell you? We decided not to do it that way.

Respect, but don't anticipate reciprocation.

Take your blinders to work. Pretend you don't care and on occasion, play to the middle managers, and on occasion you may inadvertently be creative.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leadership generally is in position for approximately 20 to 24 months. There apparently is no computerized "Captain's log" for review and issues of violation are placed on the back burner until they are forgotten. Extend the leadership position assignments one year.

Stop the lip service. Employees at encouraged to not report safety violations and an illusion of productivity supersedes morality and ethics. As an example: An employee can receive a national award one day, report a safety violation the next, and be black balled on the third. Accountability at the supervisory or middle manager level is greatly lacking. Title 5 USC violations are rampant. HRO is not focused on following law, rule, or regulation and will tell you "I am here to represent supervision." How can someone in an engineering position reason with an official who does not have an understanding of ASME regulations, physical law, or any experience in engineering? Supervision controls promotions by limiting employee certifications, and metering education to favorites. Supervision places employees in non competitive temporary leadership positions so that they can be groomed for the position. Both Counsel and the business line are magicians who focus primarily on personal enhancement, and hide violations of law, rule, or regulation. Leadership...take off your blinders, and stop focusing on personal enhancement.

The command is greatly lacking in uniformity and standardization. The process in writing job assignments is whimsical. Have job process reverse reviewed by the employee who is performing the work.

Lead by example: Write examples in the Job Plan or in the annual evaluation to demonstrate how to exceed an element. Example: To exceed the safety element the employee may write and submit a safety process to the safety office.

Mandate that all safety issues be directed to the safety office for review.

Place MAXIMO training and process under the Command Information Office where it belongs. Dedicate more computer band width to data base and black flag more superfluous web sites. I can't do my job if I have to compete with Facebook, and if I have to look at a screen that is frozen most of the time I just may change Facebook to my homepage. Mandate that data base reports be generated and emailed at 01:00 on a Sunday morning, not during the general work day when band width is at a premium. Use the date base as it is required to be used, to supply information and report to your line positions.

Change your command philosophy to First: Proactively address issues of safety, and follow law, rule, and regulation.

If the command really cared they would have ask me for input, during a time when I was less susceptible to bullying by line and staff supervisors.... post retirement.

Worked for NAVFAC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NAVFAC reviews and ratings. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by NAVFAC employees.