NAVFAC

Overseas Tour

Current Employee - Facilities Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Facilities Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at NAVFAC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Perks were great!! Met a lot of great people!!

Cons

It's hard to get back in once you get out. It's also very difficult to promote without an egineering degree.

Leadership positions should be filled based on one's ability to lead rather, a degree that displays one's mathematical abilities.

Some good people, but bad management at every level

Current Employee - Contract Specialist
    Current Employee - Contract Specialist

I have been working at NAVFAC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Government benefits are hard to beat. If you work more than 40 hours in a weak you have to be compensated, but that usually only happens in September. Paycheck comes every 2 weeks like clockwork. I work in a field office, so I work with good people who care and work hard. There are opportunities to move up quickly if you're willing to move around the country.

Cons

Currently downsizing, and are cutting knowledgeable and experienced people vs. the dead weight. Business processes are written by people who don't actually do the work. The bureaucracy fluctuates from mildly irritating to suffocating. Management will throw employees under the bus in a second to make themselves look good. Micromanagement at every level can cause workflow to grind to a halt. People in decision making positions won't actually make decisions, but they will have dozens meetings about the issue.

Come down from the ivory tower every once in a while to talk to employees, and find out what it actually takes to serve our customers. Give employees the resources and training to do their jobs effectively, and then give them the freedom to get the work done. Hold managers and supervisors accountable for dragging out solvable problems.

Sitcom like environment. I was afraid someone would come in shooting.

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Great Lakes, IL
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Great Lakes, IL

I have been working at NAVFAC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is good for this economy.

Cons

Supervisors threw temper tantrums almost daily, and would complain openly about subordinate shortcomings. Leadership is of a bullying mentality. When these issues are addressed to HRO the term "Management Style" is brought up on a regular basis.

Management will not follow requirements to insure that all employees are certified in their positions. Work is whimsically applied, with little directions, and there is no requirement that supervisors follow Title 5 rules. Evaluations are back dated and signed, and many employees are working out of their job descriptions.

Establish a Patriot philosophy, of follow law, rule, and regulation. HRO is not there to represent supervision, but to insure that law, rule and regulations are followed.

Not my favorite job

Current Employee - Program Analyst in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Program Analyst in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at NAVFAC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Location. Right inside Gate 1. Lots of convenient parking.

Cons

I seriously disliked the culture. I don't believe in working till I keel over dead. There should be some kind of balance. I felt undervalued and couldn't wait to leave. Their funding's been cut severely and the prognosis for growth isn't good.

I'm not sure anything I could say would help. I tried to suggest improvements while I was there, and all I got was pushback. Really, I just gave up and moved on.

A great place to work if working for retirement only, a career here would be painful.

Current Employee - Utility Engineering Technician in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Utility Engineering Technician in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at NAVFAC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is decent, benefits are great, PTO and sick leave are accrued and are generous, 401k (TSP) with 5% match

Cons

Morale is low, leadership tends to micro-manage A LOT everyone always jockying for a new position, generally no one seems happy where they are. Seems that employees are just here because of the great benefits, no one actually likes their job, most office talk seems to revolve around when are you able to retire. In general a good place to work if your just looking for retirement not much upward mobility.

Good and steady.

Current Employee - Hazardous Waste Disposer
    Current Employee - Hazardous Waste Disposer

I have been working at NAVFAC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is good. Good benefits.

Cons

People are difficult to work with. Old and cranky baby boomers.

Fix the hiring process. Buddy system in full effect.

A good place to start your career, then move on.

Current Employee - Engineer in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at NAVFAC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Variety of military specific projects. Important mission to serve the people who defend the USA. Work 8 hours every day, not forced to work any more than that.

Cons

No bonuses. No salary increases for getting your PE license. Organization has struggled for years with budget cuts. Good engineers are held back by the red tape in the system, bad engineers are here because they can’t make it in the private sector and whoever is left is waiting to float on the gov’t employees’ retirement system in X amount of years. It's an "all about me" company. Blatant mistakes are made and no one cares. Getting someone fired for poor performance is impossible. Government criteria is always changing, especially every 2 years when new military management takes over. You are required to do things that don't make any bit of sense just so someone can check a box on some form.

Start treating this as an actual for-profit business instead of just a money pit of tax dollars. Abolish the majority of all ATFP and environmental requirements. You waste billions of dollars each year requiring ATFP and environmental requirements in the stupidest of places/projects.

Lower your standards if you want to work here.

Former Employee - Utility Engineering Technician in North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Utility Engineering Technician in North Chicago, IL

I worked at NAVFAC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits are outstanding. NAVFAC encourages computer literate employees to work at home.

Cons

Organizational structure is weak. Commanding Officers are changed every two years, with three months in transition on both sides. Upper civilian managers require a strict adherence to a philosophy that requires employees to follow chain of command. Employees who follow laws, rules, regulations or communicate violations are labeled "Trouble Makers", and sometimes pigeon holed and assigned make work. Productivity (or an illusion of productivity) is placed above quality, and efficiency. Employees do not answer emails, hand written letters, or phone calls, and most assignments are whimsically applied. For example: I had worked on one project for two years and when the project was completed I was told: "Didn't I tell you that we decided not to do that project last year?" Assign dedicated band width to employees who work with data base, and block Facebook access, gaming, and stock trading sites.

Exclusive union representation has not been challenged for decades. Blue collar and white collar employees are represented by two separate unions. File a FLRA challenge to force a vote for a unification of representation to reduce contract negotiation cost, and simplify representation requirements.. The unions are inefficient and at least one exclusively represents minority personnel. Modify your philosophy from " Support your chain of command." to "Follow law, rule, regulation, and place safety issues above all." Establish a top management review requirement of all safety, grievance, and suggestion reports generated at the work level. Upper military leadership does not understand engineering constraints, and upper civilian leaders are assigned responsibilities beyond their specialty of training and do not trust subordinate qualifications. Assign dedicated band width to employees who work with data base, and block Facebook access, gaming, and stock internet sites. Require assignments to be written and not orally generated. Update and establish process and procedural issues.

low employee morale

Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NAVFAC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, interesting projects, flexible work schedules

Cons

Top heavy/too bureaucratic, too much micro management/no employee empowerment, little to no awards or recognition of employees, little to no janitorial services (carpets haven't been vacuumed in 18 months, scientists/engineers have to take out the trash and vacuum their own carpets), don't have the equipment, supplies, training, and staffing needed to do a good job for the client, NAVFAC jumps from one crisis to the next, clients and top management thinks NAVFAC is arrogant and our quality of service sucks per recent CO staff meeting, continual cuts to field staffing, etc.

Consider getting rid of NAVFAC and have Army Corps of Engineers take over Naval Facilities functions. ACOE can and will do a better job managing Naval Facilities and their employees than NAVFAC.

An organization that struggles

Current Employee - Construction Manager in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Construction Manager in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at NAVFAC as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Some good people working for them.

Cons

Process of working at a joint base (eg: JBPHH) is confounding. One hand doesn't know what the other is doing. They tried to merge AF and Navy and it didn't work. The process of getting something done efficiently is practically non-existent. People won't answer emails (never been in an organization like that!!) People take months to get something back to you, when if they'd have looked at it and acted on it they could have seen it was soooo simple it took them five minutes. I worked there as a contractor for 6 months, it took 2-3 months just to figure out their processes. Was actually very happy to leave but the pay was good and 6 figures.

Get a life. Work isn't the only thing you do. You need balance. Get off the spinning rat wheel and quit being so cliquish. Quit having so many turnovers in your construction managers, the customers hate it. Causes so much discontinuity and lack of satisfaction for the employees and the customers. Your processes are abominable. Waiting 6 months to get something done for funding reasons is stupid.