NAVTEQ

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Michael Halbherr

Pros
  • I Guess it is the only company in India which has Work/Life Balance(in 17 reviews)

• Very smart people, good work environment(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero chance for career advancement, even for the most ambitious team members I worked with(in 6 reviews)

• Opportunities for advancement are rare(in 3 reviews)

Worked as Sr.Software Engineer

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsVery good work culture and care for employees

ConsAcquired by NOKIA,so anything can happen.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Navteq was a great place to work before being bought by Nokia

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fargo, ND

ProsI have nearly fifteen years on the job here. The pay is just okay but the benefits are generally good. There is flexibility with the work schedule and time off. You don't have to spend a lot of money on a wardrobe since casual clothing is the norm. The people are very talented and good to work with.

ConsI loved working for Navteq, but once Nokia bought it almost everything about the job went downhill. Many of the jobs have been outsourced to India or Mexico. About a third of the Fargo workforce was recently downsized, and people here are wondering when the next round of cuts will take place. For the past couple of years there seems to have been no firm idea from Nokia management about what direction the Fargo production facility should go and what they expect from it in the future, since its focus has repeatedly changed. Advancement doesn't happen -- when a person at a higher level leaves, their specific job is not opened up, but the duties are just absorbed by lower-level workers. When advancement does happen, generally younger workers are advanced over experienced workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost of the Navteq management has been replaced by Nokia management, and the change has not been good. One day you hear management stressing that "quality is everything" and the next you hear "we need to increase our speed and output" which will naturally decrease quality -- these mixed signals mean nobody knows what is expected. The outsourcing of the production jobs has led to an overall deterioration in the product from the Navteq days, but Nokia management doesn't seem to care.

Cool product but lack clear vision of future

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCool product
    Great work-life balance
    non-stressful management
    latest technologies
    Great location

ConsNokia treat HERE map as its important puzzle but don't know how to merge it to its whole business
    Communication between different department is a nightmare
    don't have clear vision for next step

Advice to Senior Managementneed more efficient communication

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people, horrible everything else

Traffic Editor (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCo-workers and supervisors are great. Very easy going atmosphere and benefits are good.

ConsThe pay is very low for what you are asked to do. Being open 24/7 is a pain because you have very odd shift hours and Nokia doesn't recognize national holidays so if you want a day off you have to put in a request and either use your own paid time off or hope you get approved. It is not good for employee morale knowing you will never have a short week unless you use your own time off. Upper management says there are ways to move up in the company but if you ask for specifics you will be lucky to get an email response. Lots of people have left for greener pastures and this job seems more like a short term solution than an actual company to have a career. Many co-workers, myself included, feel like my potential is being under-utilized, but there is zero talk of career advancement. More communication and better leadership from upper management would be nice. Good luck if you ever see any of those people though, it would be like spotting Big Foot.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe visible! Get back to employees who actually show an interest in advancing in the company. If you don't care then why should we? Maybe take a survey or opinions from employees every now and then so you can make this place a more efficient and happy work place. I know of a lot of disgruntled employees currently and at this rate the constant over turn will continue because people are constantly searching for a way out of here. At this point, there is no career advancement and if you need a job to pay the bills then this is it, but that's all you'll get out of it.

Great Place to work - rare Chicago tech company

Finance (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsStrong culture
    Very collaborative approach to decisions

ConsUncertainty from Nokia acquisition and new business unit formation

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be as open and transparent as possible

Kindegarten

Credit Analyst (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCasual, Flexible and laid back environment

ConsThey seem to mostly like to hire very young fresh out of college over experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be more objective

Product manager

Product Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros-Very flexible
    -Young environment
    -Great location
    -Certain areas have a cash cow mapping product

Cons-Nokia taking over strategy for the company
    -Too many Senior or high level product managers, without a focus on promotion within the company
    -Political (to a degree) - if you have good connections internally then your chances of growth are better

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to promote and help create a career path from within the company. Try not to always have meetings where other meetings are created to continue and berate topics or new ideas.

Great before Nokia.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIn the Information Systems Division the environment is great. Mostly everyone is very knowledgeable and are willing to drop things to help you when you need it. It's also pretty relax unless users are becoming a nuisance.

ConsAcquired by Nokia and the Nokia way is destroying the company. Becoming strict with vacation days and changing the workflow and using products that are not as functional as previous technologies. Also not hiring in IS division due to reconstruction of division.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more workers and the ones that have been working hard. Keep fighting bad decisions by Nokia.

Destroyed by Nokia

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSmart and friendly colleagues, good benefits, great location near transit

ConsZero chance for career advancement, even for the most ambitious team members I worked with. Nokia made that even worse. Some divisions are very poorly managed with almost no progress made on big promises for new product development.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave.

A company that provides opportunities to grow or to coast - your choice

ProsAn opportunity to work for a global company and get solid, meaningful international exposure and experience. You will be working in a field that is dynamic, cutting edge, and changing rapidly.

ConsSignificant shifts in strategy - it is not "ranging in", it is more "Ok, let's try this..." A manager can miss performance targets wildly and there are few visible repercussions.

Worked for NAVTEQ? Contribute to the Community!