NBCUniversal

NBCUniversal Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

NBCUniversal CEO Stephen B. Burke

Stephen B. Burke

Pros
  • Great people and countless opportunities if you can navigate the bureaucracy to locate them(in 29 reviews)

• Fun people, great environment, very relaxing and good work-life balance(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours that is dictated by show schedules(in 23 reviews)

• They speak about a work life balance, but there is none(in 8 reviews)

Good Place to Begin!

West Coast Page (Former Employee) Universal City, CA

ProsAlways something new. As a West Coast Page, you are constantly transitioning in or out of something and those "somethings" can often reflect what you are truly interested in.The perks that come with being a Page are awesome, from discounts to access to exclusive events.The Page Program is a launching point and you have to make the most of it. The opportunities to connect with higher-ups are present as well as the training and advice that you need to move up the ranks.

ConsThe pay isn't great, and the hours can be short if you haven't secured an assignment. It can be difficult to secure an entry-level position at NBCU but being a Page definitley helps.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be great to secure more assignments for rotation and possibly not being so laid back.

Director, Integration

Director, Integration (Former Employee) Universal City, CA

ProsDiversity, Exciting environment, good leadership

ConsLike any corporation there is too much hierarchy

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to create growth opportunities for your talent.

While it is a large company, each individual division at NBCUniversal does a decent job of managing employees' needs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat business minds, a collaborative spirit. Innovative business practices and the ability to strategize across multiple business units.

ConsThe company's size can seem overwhelming, hard to get a sense of how your role contributes to the overall company,

Advice to Senior ManagementAll companies struggle with how to promote and recognize the contributions of the teams. If promotions to the next level aren't possible, why not do a better job of increasing salaries and non-salary related perks, i.e. more vacation time, better work-life balance opportunities.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good freelance experience

Freelance Writer/Producer/Editor/Preditor (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThere are some extremely talented, hardworking people that are a pleasure to work for and with.

ConsFrom what I see, they do not pay the staff well. Compensation for the amount of work done is grossly under market value. Yet they are still highly demanding and expect you to give it your all.

Fun place to work

Coordinator (Former Employee) Universal City, CA

ProsGreat perks, benefits, access to the theme park anytime, fun people to work with, work-life balance, decent pay, fun networking events. Under new leadership so all of these could change.

Consupward mobility and promotions are hard to come by, employee development is nonexistent. Under new leadership infrastructure changes happening.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to offer more employee development.

Great range of opportunities, great Company!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsIn my experience they promote from within, encourage growth and training, pretty flexible time off and have solid leaders in place.

ConsNot much to say here, maybe the mandatory trainings are boring and redundant.

Advice to Senior ManagementI felt like my compensation was not really competitive within the job functions or the market.

JERRY! JERRY!

Audience Assistant (Current Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsFriendly co-workers, great business to network. Once you get in at NBC it will be very easy move around in the television industry.

ConsYou can very easily blend with the crowd and get mixed in.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a better look at training programs and listen to the new people.

Intern

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsExposure, wonderful work environment, great experience

ConsLittle room for advancement, only a part time gig

Advice to Senior ManagementHire less interns

A great way to get to know the company!

Prosinteraction with other employees, interactive atmosphere

Conslow hourly rate, not always enough for the interns to do

Great company to work for

Communications Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat work-life balance, lots of opportunities to move around within the company, people are generally happy and really creative, lots of pride in the company, excellent benefits

ConsLacks true vision for what needs to be done and how to do it most efficiently, some odd manager-employee matches (some people will report to managers who have nothing to do with or no experience with their area of work), some upper management hesitant to push boundaries and try new things

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your employees are reporting to managers who truly understand the workload, process, and requirements of their emloyees' work. Have a vision for what you want and trust your employees to create the results.

Worked for NBCUniversal? Contribute to the Community!