NBCUniversal

NBCUniversal Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

NBCUniversal CEO Stephen B. Burke

Stephen B. Burke

Pros
  • Great people and countless opportunities if you can navigate the bureaucracy to locate them(in 29 reviews)

• Fun people, great environment, very relaxing and good work-life balance(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours that is dictated by show schedules(in 23 reviews)

• They speak about a work life balance, but there is none(in 8 reviews)

This is a solid company to work for.

Broadcast Engineer (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe pay is great. The work is exciting. The people are cool. The sky is the limit.

ConsSometimes the hours can be tough. There may be some graveyard shifts and long days.

Typical TV station values ratings over relationships, but otherwise not a bad place to work.

Reporter (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsAll of my co-workers treated me like a valuable part of the team.

ConsManagement treated me like I had value only when they needed me. When they found a cheaper solution, they went with it.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not forget that the way you treat people does make a difference. You can be a great manager and a person of integrity.

I love working here!

Campus Recruiter (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsLots of brilliant people
    Fun atmosphere
    Heavy investment in cultivating strong talent
    Easy internal mobility

ConsMany divisions are super top-heavy, leaving less room for manager or specialist level roles
    Not a lot of opportunities between coordinator and manager level
    Positions are extremely underpaid when compared to other industries

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on creating better position hierarchy so that you can retain talent beyond the first 3-5 years after school. We know that in order to become "manager-level" or to make proper compensation, we have to leave and come back. It would be nice if that wasn't the case.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Universal, selling fun GCC

GCC Sales (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsOkay pay, fun people, great perks

ConsStart out part time, If last no matter the "excuse" you get penalized with attendance, need more cash sales rewards.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nice. We try our best. Don't have bad attitude when we ask for help.

Good Place to Begin!

West Coast Page (Former Employee) Universal City, CA

ProsAlways something new. As a West Coast Page, you are constantly transitioning in or out of something and those "somethings" can often reflect what you are truly interested in.The perks that come with being a Page are awesome, from discounts to access to exclusive events.The Page Program is a launching point and you have to make the most of it. The opportunities to connect with higher-ups are present as well as the training and advice that you need to move up the ranks.

ConsThe pay isn't great, and the hours can be short if you haven't secured an assignment. It can be difficult to secure an entry-level position at NBCU but being a Page definitley helps.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be great to secure more assignments for rotation and possibly not being so laid back.

Director, Integration

Director, Integration (Former Employee) Universal City, CA

ProsDiversity, Exciting environment, good leadership

ConsLike any corporation there is too much hierarchy

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to create growth opportunities for your talent.

While it is a large company, each individual division at NBCUniversal does a decent job of managing employees' needs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat business minds, a collaborative spirit. Innovative business practices and the ability to strategize across multiple business units.

ConsThe company's size can seem overwhelming, hard to get a sense of how your role contributes to the overall company,

Advice to Senior ManagementAll companies struggle with how to promote and recognize the contributions of the teams. If promotions to the next level aren't possible, why not do a better job of increasing salaries and non-salary related perks, i.e. more vacation time, better work-life balance opportunities.

Good freelance experience

Freelance Writer/Producer/Editor/Preditor (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThere are some extremely talented, hardworking people that are a pleasure to work for and with.

ConsFrom what I see, they do not pay the staff well. Compensation for the amount of work done is grossly under market value. Yet they are still highly demanding and expect you to give it your all.

JERRY! JERRY!

Audience Assistant (Current Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsFriendly co-workers, great business to network. Once you get in at NBC it will be very easy move around in the television industry.

ConsYou can very easily blend with the crowd and get mixed in.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a better look at training programs and listen to the new people.

Fun place to work

Coordinator (Former Employee) Universal City, CA

ProsGreat perks, benefits, access to the theme park anytime, fun people to work with, work-life balance, decent pay, fun networking events. Under new leadership so all of these could change.

Consupward mobility and promotions are hard to come by, employee development is nonexistent. Under new leadership infrastructure changes happening.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to offer more employee development.

Worked for NBCUniversal? Contribute to the Community!