NBCUniversal

NBCUniversal Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

NBCUniversal CEO Stephen B. Burke

Stephen B. Burke

Pros:
  • "Great people and countless opportunities if you can navigate the bureaucracy to locate them"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Good Benefits - Ample variety of benefits with great company matching on 401k"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "long hours that is dictated by show schedules"
    in 18 reviews
  • "I question if senior management of my department has any clue as to how systematic the problems are"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Never felt so insignificant

I have been working at NBCUniversal part-time

ProsNBC has a variety of business units and many opportunities for career advancement.

ConsVP's have a lack of soft skills

Comcast

Legal (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at NBCUniversal full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIt seems like there are high hopes for the TV programs

ConsRatings are lower since the buyout

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the people that know their jobs.

Great company to work for IF you're on the production side... not so great otherwise

Non-production (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at NBCUniversal as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsPrestigious company to work for, gives you a sense of pride. Great stamp on your resume. Mostly nice people... good benefits (dental, vision, etc...)

Cons- Bosses don't care about their employees.
- You need to pucker up and be fake to continue "growing" with the company.
- Systems are horrible but it does seem that they're trying to get better.
- Bosses: a lot of them don't even have the qualifications to be in those positions (and I'm talking about BASIC skills/qualifications) so you're left doing they're work plus your own.. and I've seen several cases of this.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview the people you put in leadership positions at the business level. A lot of them don't even have the BASIC skills/qualifications for the job. Not true leaders that make you want to work for them.. they're just suits with titles.

vast distribution

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at NBCUniversal full-time for more than 10 years

Prosinternational distribution of material created

Consmanagement style not supportive of team

Terrible

Producer (Former Employee)

I worked at NBCUniversal full-time

ProsIt's cool to go back home (out of NYC) and say 'hey family I work at NBC'.

ConsEverything else is a con. This place is a boys club with no room for advancement unless you are in a position that is incredibly visible to the 'executive team.'

C-level decision makers are entitled, outdated and pretentious. They make major decisions (sometimes that effect your job directly) without speaking to you before hand, change your role completely and increase responsibility level and never acknowledge your request for a raise. The issue isn't that you don't get a raise, it's that they expect you to take on more and more responsibility without even thinking about having the discussion.

After 3 years, 7 direct bosses and no raise, I would NEVER let a friend of mine work here, even if they were unemployed, because they would get sucked into the swirl and find themselves here 3 years later with very little to show for it. It's a toxic work culture and no one smiles.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople need to hear the words 'thank you' more often. Sometimes that is all people need to be happy. Pay attention to your worker-bees or the incessant turnover is just going to keep on happening. Having people do work that ultimately you will show to the upper c-level group, is fine, as long as you attribute thanks to those who were a part of it (especially if you present it to the larger group).

Interesting work but insecure managers

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
Universal City, CA

I worked at NBCUniversal full-time for more than 5 years

ProsInteresting work and support from teams and developers. There are a lot of freedom to try new ideas and solutions.

ConsContinual mismanagement. The engineers continue to leave because they are mishandled by their direct bosses. The bosses undercut the engineers by reporting poor conduct to higher level management. The bosses will suddenly shift priorities and resources at last minute.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the VP/high level management, reach out to the engineers directly. There's a sense of isolation as engineers can only deal with their direct bosses and have no recourse if their boss is incompetent.

No chance for career growth

Manager (Current Employee)
Universal City, CA

I have been working at NBCUniversal full-time for more than 10 years

ProsJob Security.
Benefits are available and better than nothing.

ConsNo chance for advancement.
Low pay for the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees to move up and help the company grow.

Exciting then disappointing when you figure out how things really operate

Finance Manager (Former Employee)
Orlando, FL

I worked at NBCUniversal full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLarge reputable name recognition. Promote a family like atmosphere and encourage teamwork

ConsVery political. Like-minded thinking is expected, new ideas are rarely encouraged. Lack of trust and integrity at all levels. Eye opening considering the possibilities. Too many "fiefdoms" being protected at the expense of the company. Penny wise, pound foolish.

Advice to Senior ManagementBalance hiring and promotions with internal vs external. Company tends to reward like-minded thinking and dismiss change rather quickly. Needs to be more proactive approaches to best in class management and operations - everything is running on reactions. Very difficult to fix as its thoroughly engrained at all levels of the organization.

top heavy management

Empolyee (Current Employee)
Studio City, CA

I have been working at NBCUniversal full-time for more than 5 years

Prosone of the few companies in town that still have Union employees. They are really hard Some of the best workers around.

ConsManagers do not know the the jobs of their direct reports and are bullies. Very little raises only what is in the union contract and they are always very fast to throw it in your face that you are union and they don't have to do anymore then the minimum in the contract no matter how hard you work.

There is also a very large wage gap within the same jobs.

Also there is no communication from management they get go from meeting to meeting and give you no direction or response to question you may have on a project.. Please note this may note be this way in all departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house. This is your chance to make Universal great again. don't keep the Old GE types around ask the low man on the totem pole what is really going on.

It Was Good Once

Manager (Former Employee)
Universal Cty, CA

I worked at NBCUniversal full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAs studios go, Universal is a nice studio. Beyond that, I really can't add a whole lot more.

ConsSerious lack of competent management and much of it at the very senior levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to the employees at the non-management level and find out what's really going on with some of the senior management. There are good ideas to be found there. This has to be above the SVP or EVP level though as that is where a great deal of the problems are.

Worked for NBCUniversal? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NBCUniversal reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for NBCUniversal CEO Stephen B. Burke. All 459 reviews posted anonymously by NBCUniversal employees.