NC Dept Of Insurance

NC Dept Of Insurance Reviews

3.6

Wayne Goodwin
1 Rating

Office of State Fire Marshal/Engineering and Codes Division is a wonderful place to work.

Former Employee - Education Program Coordinator/Trainer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Education Program Coordinator/Trainer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at NC Dept Of Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere. Although many roles require that you work alone, everyone is willing to help/assist when necessary, Great team environment. There is room to grow within your roles - to a point. Also, work schedules were easily adaptable for life and family circumstances. Generally there was no micro-management as management trusted employees to perform their duties/responsibilities without being overbearing.

Cons

Not a lot of advancement opportunity. Most of the positions are terminal in that there you could only grow/increase your responsibilities to a point. Although there is a lot of opportunity for one to gain longevity/experience in their role, there is no opportunity for you to move into a position of greater responsibility. Also, with any state agency, the money is much less than you would make in the private sector and there is no opportunity for annual raises. Merit raises are almost non-existent.

A few of the positions need to be rewritten due to changes in processes and technology. Also, offer more merit raises. You have a lot of good people without whose help the department/division would not be as effective as it is. Look for ways to reward your employees. Many of them feel that they are not appreciated.

Excellent work environment; however the pay and benefits are horrible.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at NC Dept Of Insurance

Pros

Management is wonderful and very caring.
    Professional and well arounded employees

Cons

Pay and benefits are horrible. At the mercy of the state legislature to approve any pay raises and whatever raises we receive goes directly to healthcare cost. No cost of living adjustment.

GREAT Place to work!

Current Employee - Continuing Education Coordinator/Trainer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Continuing Education Coordinator/Trainer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at NC Dept Of Insurance

Pros

There are some really nice employees within the department. Most people are genuinely helpful and will lend a hand or their expertise when needed. Supervisors are readily accessible and very respectful of your concerns/feelings. I have been able to take on greater responsibilities, thus allowinfg me to increase my professional development.

Cons

The only downside of working at NCDOI is that because of the current state of the economy we were not given a cost of living raise this year and probably won't receive one for some time to come. Additionally, state government pays a lot less than the private sector. But even in light of the aforementioned (pay/raise), the experiences gained, both personally and professionally, far outweigh the rate of pay. Not to mention, having any job these days (due to the economy) that is NOT overly stressful and a place where you really enjoy the people and environment/atmosphere with whom and in which ypou work is quite rare.

At this point there is really no advice I can provide in that I feel you are doing a great job. Keep up the good work!

OSFM

I have been working at NC Dept Of Insurance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, somewhat flexible work hours

Cons

Pay low and micro management cause low morale among staff.

Retire already and stop being an example of "ineffecient governement"

TERRIBLE ATTITUDES & NEGATIVITY! Do not work here

I worked at NC Dept Of Insurance full-time

Pros

A few nice people who were welcoming and easy to work with on a daily basis.

Cons

Ridiculous family/friend network of negative employees. Many take advantage of the system and rip off the residents of the great state of NORTH CAROLINA.

Clean house! Start over with all new staff. Or at least half new staff.