NC State Employees' Credit Union

Updated October 22, 2014
2.9

NC State Employees' Credit Union President Jim Blaine
Jim Blaine

Pros
  • Also there is a great work/life balance and you actually have an opportunity to take the vacation time you earn (in 8 reviews)

• 401k match, terrible hard for anyone to be fired or demoted (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay in comparison to many other jobs that require bachelor's degree (in 17 reviews)

• management has been noted as saying that everyone can be replaced so stay or go-no one really cares (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

82 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It is "okay"

Current Employee - Financial Service Representative in Sanford, NC
    Current Employee - Financial Service Representative in Sanford, NC

I have been working at NC State Employees' Credit Union full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice co-workers, not very stressful, great 401k (5% to 9%), great training opportunities and will pay for education, can increase pay fairly quickly depending on how hard you work, work-life balance is good, you learn a lot then jump ship, won't get laid off and almost impossible to get fired, 120 hour PTO the first year, good place if you are risk averted.

Cons

Can be boring/not challenging, very low pay, rude members at time, no options for health insurance which is overpriced, expected to do everything, limited growth opportunity even if you are willing to move (employees just stick around when they get to where they want to be), employees in upper positions really shouldn't have been given those positions, little accountability, trying to act like a commercial bank, corporate management seems like a joke, don't feel like a master in anything, little motivation to go above and beyond.

Quit trying to act like a commercial bank unless you are going to step up your game. The new "bonuses" were a joke in our branch when we first got the email. Quit only caring about increasing the loan base. Increase pay and give employees options for health insurance. As a young employee, I would love to be able to get more pay and opt into a lower costing insurance plan then increasing it when I need it.

It's a job if you need one.

Current Employee - Financial Service Representative I in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Financial Service Representative I in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at NC State Employees' Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

SECU does business honestly. They have great intentions and motivation as a NOT-for-profit. That's different than a non-profit. SECU does make money ($28.6 billion in assets according to 2014 Annual Report) to pay the bills for having branches, facilities and employees, but they don't push products and loans off on members to make money - as opposed to banks like Wells Fargo, Bank of America, SunTrust, etc. All employees are salaried, so no commission. I like having a steady pay check and hate sales jobs. In a branch, it's a 40 hour work week and leaves you worry free when you go home. You can sleep at night knowing that you're actually doing good honest work and really helping people.
    SECU does a decent job training employees. Entry level positions have good training grounds. All employees must pass the "module program" - a series of 15 tests within 2 years of being hired. The tests are 30 to 40 true/false & multiple choice questions. Beyond the basics, training occurs on the job in areas of member services and lending.
    Ultimately your position within SECU is what you make of it. It does differ branch to branch, but you may be as aggressive as you like. Job security is also a plus because it's very hard to get fired/let go unless you have a major cash drawer outage or actually do something really immoral.

Cons

As you see among other reviews, the pay is the number one complaint. I started at 25k right out of college. You will get less if you don't have a degree (note: some branches require a 4 year degree and some may tell you it's SECU policy that you must have a 4 year degree, but it always depends on who you talk to. It's ridiculous that a 4 year degree be required for an entry level position within a branch at SECU.) Approaching my third year, I'm now at 29k. But after taxes, I'm taking home roughly 23.3k. SECU could do a much better job compensating their employees especially in view of the demands and expectations placed on them. Simply spreading the wealth... CEO Jim Blaine cleared $547,000 in 2006 according the Annual Report. Others high management positions are raking in some serious salaries as well.
    Another common complaint that I can back up is promotion and raises. SECU does like to promote from within, but you must ASK and bug the heck out of your manager for any promotion/raise. It takes years to move up the ladder within SECU. The powers that be are working on a career path, but it's presently too undefined and left up to interpretation by the managers.
    Your job duty in the branch is to know how to do everything, period. Everyone (tellers and loan officers) in the branch is considered a "Financial Services Representative" or FSR. So the tellers need to know how to perform loans, open accounts, issue cards, maintain ATMs, and answer any question a member may have. Loan officers must be able to handle a cash drawer and perform basic daily transactions (sounds simple and easy, but that's a challenge for some). My particular branch has high turnover (employees leave to internal positions, leave SECU altogether, or some even let go due to cash outages) which puts a lot of strain on employees when the branch is short staffed and constantly training new employees.

Define a concrete career path (soon!) and stick to it. Set goals for employees and promote growth within branches and the institution overall. This will not only make employees happy but better retain good employees and improve overall attitude in branches.
    Improve employee compensation. I know there are incentives for certifications (taxes, insurance, investments) but improve overall compensation such as benefit pay. Instead of giving money to community projects, invest back into your employees when insurance increases every year. I realize SECU is member-owned and strives to make differences in the community, but you will see much more employee involvement in such areas if they have the means to do it first! For several years, employees have received some rather meager annual merit raises only to be taken away come January 1st when insurance goes up. In fact, some employees will make less than they were before their merit increase after insurance/taxes go up the following year.

Good for new graduates

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Raleigh, NC

Pros

If you are needing to get your feet wet in the credit union or banking industry, this is a good starting place.

Cons

Felt high schoolish. The pay is horrible.

Pay what your employees are worth.

A Career with Little Mobility

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Greensboro, NC

I worked at NC State Employees' Credit Union full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly Co-Workers, Entry Level Experience, Benefits: The people you work with are great. Employees fall into the area between those that forewent college and those with a college education (obviously). But, what I mean by this, is the people aren't overwhelming. They don't want to take over the world. They're friendly, down-to-earth, and easily relatable to a wide range of people. This job gave me the realization that I needed to come back and get my Master's, but while I was there, I would say, for those without great expectation to make a lot of money and instead want to enjoy a career alongside good people, there are benefits and a it's a decent place to start fresh out-of-college.

Cons

Nonexistent Overtime, Limited Mobility within the Company, Little Company Culture, Minimum Pay Increases: The policy with Overtime is fishy at best. They've instituted a policy that you must work 8 hours a day from 8 O'clock to 6 O'clock, including a 1-hour lunch hour. Not just Management, everyone. and your compensation for this extra hour per day/4 extra days per month…well, you figure it out. Use it like you want. You don't get compensated for it. But, maybe, just maybe, if it's a slow day and management is in a good mood, you can take a half day once in a while. This adds up to you working between 3-5 days a month for free, basically. But it's salary, they can do that, right? Speaking of salary, the salary I was offered with a 4-year degree and the loan debt that comes with such (30,000-35,000 on average) is a portent of the reality of what a college degree actually brings these days. $25,000/year: ~$17,500 after taxes. As well, if you work really really really really hard, can find some grounds for buddying up to the boss, and don't take notice of the way you're being exploited, you could get to $30,000-$35,000 by the time you retire with the company. All the while, you better not surf the internet, you'd better park in unvalidated parking places, and you better have self-restraint when telling every other member of the community that 'yes, yes, it is my fault and I'm very very sorry you can't manage your meager government salaries. But, by all means, keep spending all of your extra cash on Candy Crush extras. I'll be your punching bag again in 2 weeks when you get paid.'

It would do worlds for the morale of the guys on the ground if, instead of using their >40 hours/week upping the strictness of company policies, going out and shaking hands with a few employees who run the company. It's a company theme, even a foundational pillar of Credit Unions, that no one owns the money. But you guys sure act awful mighty. Oh, and raise salaries. My manager once told me that if SECU didn't issue another loan, or profit another dime, the company could keep thriving for decades. It comes off cheap and instills a poor company culture.

Good Entry Level Position

Current Employee - Senior Financial Service Representative in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Service Representative in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at NC State Employees' Credit Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay for a recent graduate with no experience and no job lined up, good benefits and easy way to get you;re foot in the door for a better role.

Cons

Definitely about who you know at the Call Center at least. if you are a hard worker, it may or may not pay off. Management has no training on how to manage, which makes communication and supervision is kind of slack. Though most are really cool people, that does't mean they are all fit to be a leader of a team. The turn over rate is pretty high, for the call center, so if you are actually a good hard working employee they try to keep you as long as they can. Meanwhile the employees that aren't doing so well are able to go to internal department and certain shifts jus to get them out of the managers hair.

Develop some kind of leadership training, a lot of the issues with employees can be resolved if they have a good leader to assist them. Also, in the call Center, cant really speak for other departments, you need to do something to boost employee morale. We are taking a lot of calls, and though you tell us that you appreciate us, our SVP should not be the only person showing us that we are appreciated Yes we get a pay check, but thats expected when you work.

Review of Call Center Life

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at NC State Employees' Credit Union full-time

Pros

The high turnover rate means there are naturally lots of young people (I was in mid-twenties, so I did meet a lot of cool coworkers). That could be a good or bad thing depending on your age. All of us hated the job and being there. Dealing with the public and how management treated us did bond us together. That's about the only positive I can think of besides hearing that it's impossible to get fired once you go through training.

I do feel bad since there are some real go-getters at the beginning levels that can really help the company. However, management's "motivation" usually crushes them into apathetic people after a few months on the job.

Cons

I was still pretty new to the working world at the time, but I could tell that what they were doing here was wrong on many levels. Almost every person ranked higher talks down to you, and the people above only had the bad idea of joining the company before you and sticking around. Promotions after a certain point are only given to the brown nosers, so you have to watch your back sometimes, but you should find out quick who those people are. None of them were any smarter. They like to market themselves as a non-profit that cares about its members, but the ones at the top are just as corrupt as a stereotypical Investment banker.

Everyone here has covered the pointless dress code. I actually enjoy wearing a suit when I can, but it did get old that I was wearing a suit and never seeing anyone outside of SECU employees day after day. "If you look like you're worth a million bucks, you'll work like you're worth a million bucks". That was an actual quote said to me, and is so cheesy. Another of my favorite quotes in one form or another that I heard at least 15 times (seriously) from upper management, the VPs, and trainers...

"You can quit if you don't like it, there are 100 people that would love to work here now we could replace you with"

That quote sums up pretty well what the company thinks of its employees. Hopefully the economy picks up so that they can quit taking advantage of them as much.

I left before the parking controversy came about, but I've had friends still there tell me about it. I laughed at the ridiculousness of it. Another good example of why leadership is awful for making employees pay $60 a month to come to work at this place for 26K. It's honestly more profitable to work at McDonald's now.

Salary compensation is another problem repeated on here. The mandatory $6k in insurance is a kick in the pants. And doing the modules outside of work means you don't have much of a chance at a social life if you want to get a raise as fast as possible (which is insignificant when it's all said and done).
    This isn't bragging, but this was my situation as I left SECU. When I first started here, I thought I could do better than what I was making, but times were tough, so I was grateful for the opportunity to work (still am despite this review since I was receiving a small income, which is still better than nothing). I was being paid a few thousand over the starting 26K at the time of the new offer. I got an offer somewhere else at 61K, which is an insane pay raise. I have been at the new place for awhile now and enjoy every facet of the job more. I don't work as hard, I wear business casual now, I'm never as stressed out, and no one talks down to me like they did at SECU. There are problems with every job, but this is just a different world from where I was before at the call center. I am thankful for experiencing it so I know how bad it gets out there. It really puts it all in perspective.

What advice would you honestly take? The business model is amazing. SECUs are everywhere in NC, and there will always be a member base no matter how poor of a service you provide (objectively, the service provided is actually not bad all things considered). This allows you to keep employee wages low and with the economy still supplying eager, naive, or desperate workers, you can find quick replacements for the ones that get fed up and leave because of how we're treated. I applaud the slyness.

Low stress, but came with no pay

Former Employee - Loan Operations in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Loan Operations in Charlotte, NC

I worked at NC State Employees' Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

No stress, no pressure, exact working hrs, job doesn't go home with u f f f f

Cons

Lore pay, no motivation from manager. Day drags f f f f f

They give no recognition to people that perform well over others. U can only say good job so many times... Show me the money!

Sr. Financial Services Officer

Current Employee - Senior Financial Services Officer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Services Officer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at NC State Employees' Credit Union full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for if you do not have much financial services experience but willing to get the necessary training and education to move up within the company. The company offers great 401k incentives. They will match up to 9%.

Cons

Low salary. Health insurance is mandatory since it is paid by the company but for the amount they give each employee to spend, they could increase salaries and allow employees to choose their own health care plans. Technology is outdated and experiences constant problems. There is a lot of pressure and work put on branch employees. Company expects employees to provide full service to its members but offers no incentives for the extra workload.

Treat your employees better than your members.

Good place to professionally develop

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at NC State Employees' Credit Union full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The Company has great values and almost always tries to "do the right thing."

Cons

Pay is mediocre, little advancement opportunities, and the culture is stagnating

Review the overall consensus on here (and other HR-related sites) and come up with a plan to boost employee morale. It's diminishing and should be corrected before it is irreversibly tarnished.

Totally depends what you're looking for. Good for a few years, then probably best to look elsewhere.

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Working at a branch in Raleigh. I really liked the people I worked with, with just a few exceptions. Very laid back, friendly coworkers and members for the most part. Very low stress job. Hours are good. You are expected to study for modules but most or all of that can be done during down time at work, rather than at home. As far as benefits, the 401(k) plan is by far the best you'll find anywhere. PTO is pretty typical compared to what you'd find elsewhere.

Cons

Really low pay, and unfortunately that's why many people and some of the best employees leave. Most people live paycheck to paycheck until they've been there 5-10 years, and I have no idea how some families make enough to provide for everyone.

Very limited career growth, at least at the branch. Some of the management really do want you to succeed, but a lot of the promotions and opportunities given are done simply because someone's put in the time, even if they're not a great employee. You can work hard and get noticed and appreciated, but it doesn't result in a lot of tangible opportunity.

At my branch, the manager basically decides for you what areas you're going to specialize in or learn about, and when he thinks is best. Your career is at the mercy of the needs of the branch, rather than what you'd like for yourself.

You really have to pay more to keep the better employees.

More career opportunities for the branch employees in areas they would like to focus on.

NC State Employees' Credit Union Photos