NC State Employees' Credit Union Reviews

Reset
3.1
NC State Employees' Credit Union President Jim Blaine
Jim Blaine

Pros
  • Also there is a great work/life balance and you actually have an opportunity to take the vacation time you earn (in 8 reviews)

• 401k match, terrible hard for anyone to be fired or demoted (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Low Pay - Starting base salary is (in 18 reviews)

• management has been noted as saying that everyone can be replaced so stay or go-no one really cares (in 6 reviews)

1. .

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative I in Southport, NC
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative I in Southport, NC

I have been working at NC State Employees' Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The main reason I work at NCSECU is that there is always room for self growth and if you have the desire to work hard, you can advance in pay at your own pace.

Cons

The only downside that I would have to say would be the career path at the branch level lacks the opportunity to move up in the company in comparison to the contact center. Both of which I have worked.

Advice to Management

The only advice to management would to steer towards consistency within the Credit Union rather than focusing on adding new products.

Excellent People w/ old school mentalities

Former Employee - Systems Integration Tester in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Systems Integration Tester in Raleigh, NC

I worked at NC State Employees' Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People that work for the credit union are great. Benefits are good. Belief system at high standards.

Cons

Behind the times when it comes to technology. Sometimes comes off as only friends of bosses get promotions.Pay below average.

Advice to Management

Get with the times and compete to bring the best technology to the members. Need a dependable app

Discrimination is High!

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in High Point, NC
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in High Point, NC

I worked at NC State Employees' Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health insurance BCBS paid for, 401K (you pay 5% they match 10%), paid holiday's, good learning experience, and some great knowledgeable co-workers.

Cons

Management at Westchester in High Point, NC is beyond racist. Poor management has destroyed this branch by running out some of her best workers. 5 employees have left in the past 6 months because of it. They will run any good working employee into the ground and favor other races. Every person who is in a position of power at that branch is one race. For a long time I tried to deny it myself. I tried to tell myself "it is all in your head," but when you have a co-worker slam her drawer and storm off of the teller line in front of a customer and not get in trouble for it ? Hello! I was told after wearing a pair of pants for 3 months that they were no longer appropriate. I have always been an extreme conservative person. They only retaliated and told me that because I wouldn't ask my father to come sing "Happy 40th Birthday" for free to my manager. We own a music store. We aren't a traveling music circus. I really don't care if my old management see's this review either. The world deserves to know what they are getting into before they get into it. I was a high performing employee with over 500 transactions a day with no errors. They will make you work overtime and not pay you for it. The management will tell you that they are going to another branch, but in reality they are out shopping. They will come back hours later giggling with shopping bags from expensive stores. Aside from being a "jack of all traits" "master of all traits" this was the absolute worst part about my job. I can deal with working hard for little return as far as compensation wise, but to belittle your employees to the point that over 1/3 of the branch leaves in 6 months after you have been the manager there for a year or two? It is time to stop blaming everyone else and start looking at the management.

Advice to Management

Fire lazy management and hire some people with a brain! Ethics and morals are non-existent in this company.

Sr FSO

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

Pros

No pressure to sell anything.

Cons

Compensation and work appreciation is sub par.

6. Customer Service Rep.

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Raleigh, NC

I worked at NC State Employees' Credit Union (More than a year)

Pros

Good company for recent graduates to grow in a professional environment. The career path can grow your worth to other organizations through experience.

Cons

Pay is not that great until you get to the VP level. In the contact center environment you have a greater chance of advancing quickly however you due have to deal with a lot more member volume.

7. senior teller

Former Employee - Teller in Stoneville, NC
    Former Employee - Teller in Stoneville, NC

I worked at NC State Employees' Credit Union (More than 3 years)

Pros

good opportunities to learn new things

Cons

lack of comminucation and flexibility

Slow paced job except for Monday's and Fridays.

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Durham, NC

Pros

This is a very slow job so you will have time to search the Internet or brush up on your favorite books.

Cons

It is Very easy to short your money and lose your job. You cannot mess up too many times as you are dealing with the company's money.

Advice to Management

...

SECU-great benefits & values/lousy pay

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative I in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative I in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at NC State Employees' Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great benefits: I like the insurance fine, but the 401(k) is a tremendous benefit. SECU puts in double an employee's contribution up to 5/10%--I put in 5% of my pay and they put in an additional 10%, which is the most generous I've seen. They upped the max from 9% to 10% this year because of changes in how they compensate you for insurance due to AFA. -Pay increases steadily: Organization-wide $3,000 raise recently was nice, but base pay is still too low to live on considering this position REQUIRES a college degree. I started at 26,016 right out of college last year. A year and one promotion later I'm making about 32,500 plus 1,440 for the advanced module pay. -Opportunities to increase compensation by taking advanced modules (20 tests=$1,440 a year), $1,500 annual incentive pay for each certified for VITA tax preparation, becoming licensed for insurance, and a few other things. -No pressure for sales: genuine customer service is rewarding, though a few people will take advantage. -Benefits such as free estate planning, limited reimbursement for business classes (MBA), half-price safe-deposit.

Cons

-Low salary, especially starting out. I can't afford an apartment on my own, much less to pay back my student loans (with a job that requires a 4-year degree). -The new(ish) "career path" has everyone start at the bottom, essentially as a teller (Financial Services Representative). There is supposedly an opportunity for promotion, but it seems to be based on current lending officers leaving for a spot to become open. There are chances for transferring to internal departments though, and eventual promotion to loan officers. -Ridiculous amount of "cross-training." You're essentially a bank teller and getting paid for being a bank teller, but they take no time at all expecting you to do all of the "busy work" for the loan officer side of the branch. There is a definite feeling of preference given to the lending side. Expect to work as a receptionist from time to time, especially during tax season--though if you are so lucky as to be promoted to the lending side, you'll "work the front desk" even more often.

Advice to Management

Hire loan officers and tellers separately, as I doubt so much time on the teller line is truly beneficial for someone who eventually becomes a lending officer. It is unrealistic for someone who chooses not to become an FSO (lending officer) to become a Vice President (branch manager), as the new career path implies is possible with the FSR and FSO career paths being equal. Spend a little bit more on salaries and the turnover rate would be lower.

FSO

Current Employee - Senior FSO in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior FSO in Raleigh, NC

Pros

I love working for a nonprofit organization. We get to do the right thing, every time, never considering the "bottom line". SECU offers many programs to its membership and the community that make a positive difference.

Cons

There are no cons. I have worked for SECU for over 14 years and have learned that there is always a better way to do things and SECU will find it. There is no downside to employment with SECU.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage employees to go farther and do more. Continue to give employees the latitude to make decisions and improve the lives of those that they serve.

Financial Services Representative

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Durham, NC

I worked at NC State Employees' Credit Union (Less than a year)

Pros

This organization offers an incredible service to the community.

Cons

Compensation is incredibly low and there was no emphasis on customer service at my branch.

RSS Feed </> Embed