NC State Employees' Credit Union

Updated January 27, 2015
2.9

NC State Employees' Credit Union President Jim Blaine
Jim Blaine

Pros
  • Also there is a great work/life balance and you actually have an opportunity to take the vacation time you earn (in 8 reviews)

• 401k match, terrible hard for anyone to be fired or demoted (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay in comparison to many other jobs that require bachelor's degree (in 18 reviews)

• management has been noted as saying that everyone can be replaced so stay or go-no one really cares (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

93 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Its good for recent grad but keep looking

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at NC State Employees' Credit Union

Pros

They do try to teach you stuff like taxes, notary, investment

Cons

Career path is not definite, and the starting salary is too low for recent grad with college degrees. They lose talent with low salaries

Try updating systems

Good starter job

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at NC State Employees' Credit Union

Pros

Stable company with decent benefits

Cons

Low pay; great starter job to get experience

Desktop Support Technician

Former Employee - Desktop Support Technician in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Desktop Support Technician in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at NC State Employees' Credit Union

Pros

I enjoyed the opportunity of working on an IT team for a Windows 7 upgrade for the NC State Employees Credit Union.

Cons

One challenge was there was not enough open space provided as new desktop and laptop equipment arrived at the worksites.

Great learning experience for students right out of college.

Current Employee - Financial Service Representative I in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Financial Service Representative I in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at NC State Employees' Credit Union full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great retirement benefits and you learn a ton about the financial industry that will have you throughly prepared for your next venture in the finance.

Cons

Contact center doesn't get any holiday days off and very low pay.

SECU Review

Current Employee - Financial Service Representative II in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Financial Service Representative II in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Excellent benefits package with one of the best 401k plans in the country. Salary is average but when you include all of the benefits pay and 401k match of 9% it is solid. SECU has a great company philosophy and genuine desire to help our membership. Provides an opportunity to help people improve and maintain their financial well being. Excellent work/life balance. Not too demanding of a career and SECU provides opportunity for advancement. Management is very understanding and supportive.

Cons

While pay is good it is still below average when compared to similar positions with other financial institutions. SECU could afford to pay their employees more. Most turnover is due to employees leaving for more lucrative opportunities with other institutions.

Consider increasing pay to further motivate and retain employees. SECU has many employees' who love working for the right reasons so why not reward their genuine desire to help the community improve their financial standing?

Great for members, not for employees!!

Current Employee - Financial Service Representative in Charlotte, NC

Pros

It's a job. No weekends required. I am trying here...free cashier's checks, 2 free boxes of checks per year, and clean branches. Pretty new building in downtown Raleigh (total sarcasm - put your employees before new digs Jim!)

Cons

No breaks, and you have to come in early to get ready to work and you have to stay a little late to close out, but do they pay you ( an hourly employee) for that extra time? NO, they hate paying overtime so they treat FSRs/tellers like they are salaried when it comes to extra time worked. Possibly illegal even, definitely unethical. Teller side carries a heavier load than officer side of branch. Phone systems are crazy - rolling calls within the district have members confused and employees playing receptionist, sometimes with members in your face. Who vetting such process - needs to be revisited.

Employee morale is bad. Survey your people - not just a massive survey but survey groups of employees - FSOs, teller, call center. Listen to what they have to say and implement repeated themes - they are on the front lines everyday and have value to add to operations. How can you boast about your good member service rating being high yet not hear from your employees? Happy employees provide great member service. This is not a hard equation. Pay your employees a livable wage - professional employees should make no less than $40K per year entry level if a 4 year degree is required. Have you evaluated the cost of college lately...not cheap! You could probably do this very easily by eliminating paper tickets and paper statements - time to move into the 21st century SECU. Update systems to support new processes - tickets are time consuming and costly as are statements - come on! Find ways to pay people a livable wage.

PLEASE READ BEFORE TAKING JOB: Get Your Experience, Then GET OUT!!!!!!!

Former Employee - Senior Financial Services Officer in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Services Officer in Charlotte, NC

I worked at NC State Employees' Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Simple products which are easy to communicate, several opportunities for licensing (insurance, investments, mortgage origination, tax preparation), putting members in the best financial situation possible

Cons

In the beginning, I loved my job. I loved learning, I thoroughly enjoyed helping the membership, and I got along great with my coworkers and management. As time progressed, my employee morale began to drastically decrease. There were several employees in my branch who just couldn't get it right, and they did not pull their own weight. Several of my coworkers were not accountable and they were not driven or have a thriving work ethic. When you recognize that there are only a few key players in the game, and you are one of them, initially it may feel great but it becomes draining. The job itself is not difficult to learn or master, but you begin to lose confidence in the company due to micromanagement, stagnant employees, and non-supportive management. In addition to this, the compensation is TERRIBLE!!!!!! SECU wants you to do a million and one things for $30K/year. I was hired at $24K (with a college degree). After a little less than a year of service, I earned my first promotion and my salary increased by only $1500...OMG...big wup...smh! After that, I received my second promotion a year later (well overdue)...and my salary increased by $1800...Wow...Still earning less than $28K. I received my last promotion slightly over a year later (THAT WAS WELL OVER DUE... Management is pathetic...you have to kiss up to get a promotion)...at this time, I was finally making $31K....Still not enough to support yourself and pay the bills. Although you earn annual bonuses (insurance licensing, tax preparer, advanced module pay, etc), which is paid over a 24 month period, this rarely makes a big enough difference to survive. SECU will do what it takes to brainwash you into taking that you are well compensated by combining your base salary, bonuses for educational incentives, health and 401k benefits which is total BULL! They like to say "with all of these benefits, you will make $55K in 5 years," well if that's the case with my NEW EMPLOYER, I currently make $70K." Leaving SECU is the best decision I ever made. I never thought I worked in a stressful environment until I got to experience the greener grass on the other side. Reflecting on my experience, it was definitely a stressful experience, but nonetheless something to learn. I left SECU after 3 years, and I currently make $20,000 more (not including benefits...SMDH). Please think twice prior to accepting a position with SECU. This organization is good for obtaining work experience, but it is NOT the place for you, if you want to live independently, accomplish financial goals, and stay out of debt (I accumulated a lot of debt while working at SECU b/c I was unable to take care of emergencies, and routine expenses due to such low compensation).

Oh...I almost forgot... SECU expects you to be present at all times. I will not forget how management in my previous branch made me feel like crap when I had to call in, or I could not make it to work due to bad weather. One of the benefits of working for an organization with several employees who can do the same job as you, your absence does not pose a significant problem.

Increase salary; Pay attention to supervisors that micromanage; increase employee morale; don't expect employees to be perfect or do everything if they will not be compensated

Company stuck in 1970's

I have been working at NC State Employees' Credit Union

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Low pay, micromanaged, outdated pay

Operations Center Employment

Current Employee - Technician I in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Technician I in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Working with branches instead of members. Get to meet upper management in the building. Easy ability to transfer between departments to find a specialty after passing modules

Cons

Management does not care whether you have a suggestion to make something better, either shut your mouth or lose your job. If you do not take lunch and do not need to use the bathroom, you are in a cubicle chair for the entire work-shift. The office is silent, as the only people you are allowed to talk to are when branches call you.

Actually take suggestions from your new employees, they have a good perspective on how to make things better. And, talk to your supervisors so that they actually train the people they hire

No trophies for 4th place, and that is OK with me. Entitlement is a false state. Work hard and succeed.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at NC State Employees' Credit Union full-time

Pros

I don't understand a lot of the complaints on this site. Regarding salary, the starting salary is about $26,016 plus $6,000 in annual benefits pay and a maximum match of 9% (includes the benefits pay) for the 401-K which is $2,881. So starting pay is really $34,897. Then you can finish your required modules (15 total -take 5 a month) and get another $2,101 so that takes the total compensation in month 4 to $36,913.

And if you don't have a college degree the credit union will pay 100% to attend the College Transfer Program at a NC community college. From there you can transfer into an UNC school as a junior and the credit union will reimburse you $2,500 per year. If you are satisfied with the College Transfer Program work for 5 years and you are considered the same as someone that obtained a 4 year degree.

The credit union will pay you while you learn other stuff that they want you to learn. You can get your insurance license, investment license and get your tax certification. They will pay you an additional $1,500 for each of these designations (so that would be another $4,500 and you should be able to get those your first year). That takes total compensation to $41,413 in the first year (without considering merit increases, etc.). Work hard and this is the reality, Wait for a hand out and the reward will (and should) go to someone else.

I consider this a good one year salary, and I have almost full control to make that happen. I had to get my VP approval but working hard will make that be easy to get. Lots of titles so lots of opportunity to get pay raises. No one will ever make what they think they are worth. Make sure you are truly worth what you are making, and work harder than you are getting paid. If you are the superstar in your area you will be recognized.

It is a simple organization. Make loans, process transactions, help members, do insurance and investments. As such it is easy to excel as an employee. Mediocre performance is not and should not be rewarded anywhere. People that believe they should be entitled should not apply. Work hard. Help your manager look good. If you complain, provide a possible solution. Ask questions, engage. If you want to be reworded more than your coworkers you will need to work harder than your coworkers. Challenge yourself.

Cons

Office culture is a function of the people. If you build a culture of whining that will bleed throughout your area. Be competitive, strive to exceed. Carry a positive attitude. It is a job, you are expected to work. You don't get superior pay raises if you don't provide superior performance. Leadership is earned. Recently announced super star pay raises to top performers (minimum of $3,000 and maximum of $15,000). Someone thought that concept was a joke. Wow, I didn't think it was a joke. People and managers are individuals, if you feel that you are truly working hard and going the extra mile yet your manager isn't rewarding you then you may walk to set a discussion with your manager. Their expectations and your perceptions may not be aligned correctly. They may learn and change from your discussion and vice-versa. Communication is key to understanding. I was told that a great tool to succeed is to learn how to manage your manager.

The credit union has a lot of maturing senior vice presidents. This is a fantastic opportunity for the new employees at all levels as executives, senior vice presidents, vice presidents and supervisors get shifted, move up, etc. This is a great time to work at the credit union.

NC State Employees' Credit Union Photos