NCDENR Reviews

5 reviews filtered by
3.5
CEO

1. NC DENR is an organization of skilled professionals who feel strongly about improving our environment.

Current Employee - Engineer Intern in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Engineer Intern in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at NCDENR

Pros

Many professionals here who have a laid back style of operation. The work environment is more flexible as opposed to uptight and rigid. So many activities at NC DENR are based upon legislation passed down by the EPA that are subject to change week to week, so sometimes your work is waiting in balance.

Cons

Sometimes what you are working on for several weeks can be discarded and changed because of changes made by the EPA or new legislation passed by Congress.

Advice to Management

I don't have much advice to offer Management because they cannot dictate the manner in which environmental laws are passed or held up in waiting.

2. It's been ok until the new legislature

I have been working at NCDENR full-time

Pros

The compassion of the employees is great. Everyone wants to do whatever they can to serve the residents to the best of their abilities. There is a lot of flexibility to get the job done without a lot of micro-managing. I didn't get involved with my field to get rich, it's the ability to actually see the efforts of your work. This is a great thing.

Cons

The pay. What else is there? Your pay starts at the low range of the pay scale and any raises are dependent on the Legislature. Six years and counting without any. I don't consider the 1% a raise. Don't look for any promotions anytime soon either. The career ladder, if there even is one, is about one step high.

3. NC DAQ is a place for only those who are passionate about their work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at NCDENR

Pros

I think the topmost reason to work at NC DAQ is the good cause. They are trying hard to give people better are to breathe. They are also educating people to understand the importance of air quality and what they can do to contribute to the cause.

Cons

I think the culture is very laid back. There is lack of energy and passion about work that's being done. If employees put sincere efforts rather than doing the job for just the sake of it, DAQ will certainly achieve their goals both long-term and short-term,

Advice to Management

Leadership is awesome. The team performs better when there is a strong leader. Try to reduce your burden a little and make your team work instead of you doing the major chunk.

5. NC DENR - Government position

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at NCDENR

Pros

Great coworkers. Wealth of knowledge. Learning opportunities.

Cons

Compensation. Benefits. Paperwork. Have to pay for parking.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote the environment using sound decisions.

6. A very poorly paying job with many fringe benefits that, if taken away, would have me looking elsewhere.

Current Employee - Environmental Specialist
    Current Employee - Environmental Specialist

I have been working at NCDENR

Pros

I feel like I'm protecting the environment by educating the public. Flexible schedule. Independent work. Get to spend a lot of time outdoors. Good pension plan that includes free individual health care plus a 401k and/or 503b. Health care while working is also free.

Cons

The pay is terrible, but the atmosphere and low pressure are good. You will pay almost full cost to add a spouse or family to your health care plan. If the free health care with the pension is taken away, you might not think it worth sticking around.

Advice to Management

Be prepared for mass loss of staff if health care benefits are reduced or taken away during employment or retirement. The poor pay certainly will not hold people here.