NCI Building Systems Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
NCI Building Systems Chairman, President, and CEO Norm Chambers
Norm Chambers

I'd give negative stars if I could

Former Employee - IT Site Administrator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - IT Site Administrator in Houston, TX

I worked at NCI Building Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They paid well and west Houston location convienent.

Cons

Not enough IT staff to cover the company's needs. Too many VPs and President demanding immediate satisfaction at the expense of production. Be prepared to work like a galley slave and pick up others jobs because coworkers are too overworked to perform their full range of duties.

Advice to Management

You need more IT staff to cover the various sites. To have one full timer to cover a plant the size of a small college plus three other remote sites along with executive support for a number of VPs borders on both insanity and bad business. To expect a new hire who you failed to convey the full background and breadth of the job to immediately pick up where a senior employee (who caved in under the workload and fled) left off borders on malicious hiring.

2. non caring company

Former Employee - Lead Machine Operator in Rome, NY
    Former Employee - Lead Machine Operator in Rome, NY

I worked at NCI Building Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

the pros were the people you worked with everyday. most were actually genuine people.

Cons

i am now unemployed and on unemployment. when i went in for unemployment they showed me what the average was that ny state unemployment thought i should of been making running a rollformer. it was $19,88 an hour to start. after 7 years i was still $5 an hour under that. and i ran two lines and was the lead machine operator in my area. management talks to employees and treats them as if they are children and will downgrade you to where you feel you are nothing. they expect you to stay til all the work is done no matter what time so if you have a family forget about them.

Advice to Management

the leadership that is in there now needs a lesson in how to treat as they say Valued Employees.

3. Unproductive IT managers and confused product owners

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at NCI Building Systems full-time

Pros

Relaxed work environment especially if you are in OKC IT. Product owners keep developers busy by only asking for quick patches. VP / IT managers do not have to worry about any major planning / product enhancements.

Cons

Product owners and senior IT management have no idea in which direction they want to go in the long term. They did multiple failed attempts and spent shareholders valuable money in selling huge corporate wide projects which went no where. They have no courtesy in coming back and telling the employees on what happened to the projects they initiated. IT middle managers happily enjoy the status-quo and do nothing. Many of them barely wrote any piece of code in the past 15-20 years and yet they get to keep their jobs, thanks to their long lasting friendship with the VP and senior management. This company is a bad deal for the developers who want to learn new technology and grow.

Advice to Management

Many of your managers including your VP are completely out of touch with the technology. They don't even put any effort at all to learn anything new. Rather they heavily rely on super stars in the team and their conventional wisdom. How can they even have any say on things like source control when they have never used it in a team environment? Replace all of them with people who know the latest technology and/or advanced management degrees if you want anything exciting to come out of this group. There's a lot of red-tape in this company. For a simple project to get approved, there will be months of discussions back and forth on ROI etc. which is not even perfect. Senior management including CIO / CFO needs to understand the concept of "Agile" and how a project can be funded incrementally.

5. Inside Sales Representative

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at NCI Building Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent Pay, some nice people working here.

Cons

Lots of gossip, lack of training structure for new employees. Senior member of department was out a lot first few weeks for vacation. Department was understaffed and not equipped to train new employees in the absence of lead. Nepotism was more common here than any other company I have worked for.

Advice to Management

Hire people for the position they interview for. If you are going to place them in a higher position than the one interviewed for ensure you can provide a proper training structure and have a plan. Inform employees prior to starting work of what they are being hired as and provide a real training plan instead of just handing guidebooks to read.

Good learning experience, variety of skills utilized

Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at NCI Building Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very smart, energetic employees, good people who are dedicated.

Cons

Little work/life balance, aggressive project schedules.

Advice to Management

Value your employees

7. The sales Team is great to work for, Stay away from the engineering side. To many higher ups worried about there jobs

Former Employee - CAD Operator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - CAD Operator in Houston, TX

I worked at NCI Building Systems

Pros

health and dental benefits are good

Cons

Major Office Politics, More managers than employees has a hard VP that should only be a regular engineer in the drafting Dept. pushes people around with ego.. authority.

Advice to Management

Keep watch of the bad managers, they are the ones in the higher ups offices chatting alot...

8. Decent place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Pleasant, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Pleasant, MI

I have been working at NCI Building Systems

Pros

Good benefits, nice people to work with. Company has been around a long time and will invest in new technology to try and stay ahead of the competition.

Cons

They hire too many upper management people and lay off middle managment creating high levels of stress for those workers.

Advice to Management

Don't hire so many Senior Managers. They just create more work for the few mid-level managers that are left after layoffs or replacing mid-level managers with clerical staff.

9. Good place to work

Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at NCI Building Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family atmosphere, very smart and dedicated colleagues, good benefits

Cons

Pay is lower than average, unrealistic project schedules

Advice to Management

Spend more time managing project schedules and less time socializing during work hours.

10. Inventory Control Specialist Manufacturing

Current Employee - Inventory Specialist/Accounting in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Inventory Specialist/Accounting in Houston, TX

I have been working at NCI Building Systems (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility, great group of people to work with...

Cons

None really in my area... I work on accounting side as well as the inventory side daily and the people I work with are great... We all have the same goals and objectives... Doing right by the customers, and keeping the inventory in line with where it needs to be...

Advice to Management

best advice I could really give is this: sometimes management doesn't have the full perspective on what it takes to get things done or to make them happen... you really need a little bit of "hands on"... What I mean by that is this: go out and spend time with the people to see what it takes through out the different area's... When someone explains what it takes, realize and understand the words are a lot quicker then the actual functions... if we all stepped into each others shoes for just a bit, you will be enlightened a bit more...

11. Quality Manager

I worked at NCI Building Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good overall company to work for. Engaged middle management. Growth opportunities and decent benefits. 401k and Medical are some of the best.

Cons

Some disconnect from EVP level and about. Extremely poor pay scale! Pay has not kept pace with growth and market! I left after 16 years and many promotions. I now make $85,000 a year more with similar title in weld industry.

Advice to Management

Review pay scale. Talent is hard to find and even harder to keep without the proper compensation.

RSS Feed </> Embed