NCI

Be The First To
Add Photos

NCI Chairman and CEO Charles K. Narang

Charles K. Narang

Pros
  • Decent hours, good benefits, convenient location and restaurants nearby(in 8 reviews)

• flexibility, laid back culture, set your own schedule(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management must be good since they keep winning contracts and making money(in 3 reviews)

• You may not work for NCI if your contract gets moved to a different company(in 2 reviews)

My experience has been positive.

Capability Manager (Current Employee)

ProsNCI seems to really understand their employees and attempts to provide positive reinforcement.

ConsSometimes it is hard to get an understanding of what to expect for the contract work because the customer is ambiguous and NCI, sometimes has difficulty understanding the issues.

NCI is an amazing place to work

Program Administrator (Former Employee) Bethesda, MD

ProsWorking at the NCI you get to be part of an amazing diverse team of people that makes a difference to the people that need to utilize the services. The opportunities to learn and advance are numerous and the benefits and teamwork make it an extremely valuable experience.

ConsI do not have any negatives about working at this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprovement could be made on redundant cross department procedures, and procedures and processes in some areas could be streamlined to be more efficient and simplified.

Contracting is not for the faint heart

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsYour job is guaranteed as long as the contract.

ConsOnce the contract is over, the company doesn't make the initiative to help place their employees with other opportunities, nor do they offer severance pay. The only placement is to the nearest DES.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember it takes good workers for a company to profit, not the other way around.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work for, good benefits.

ProsThe pay is pretty good and the benefits are first rate.

ConsLimited advancement opportunities within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the field managers: If you want to keep your best people, show it. Nobody ever gets tired of hearing that they're doing a great job. If you have critical systems that just seem to work all the time, somebody is doing a great job and you need to notice them!

No place for a person to work

Senior Developer (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsFlexible work hours; comp. time for hours worked over. Insensitive management and favoritism among employees and upper management

ConsDoes not like when you work from home

Advice to Senior ManagementListen and take advice from all levels of employees.

OK, but heading in wrong direction

Logistics Analyst (Current Employee) Fort Belvoir, VA

ProsNCI makes an effort to recruit top level talent, just make sure that you get what you are looking for compensation wise from the start. Don't fall for the "this is what we can bring you on at and then we'll bump you up down the road." I've seen that happen to a bunch of people at NCI.

ConsNCI tries to sell themselves as being bigger than they actually are. They'd like to think that they are one of the big dogs in the defense industry, but actually are struggling to stay afloat. About a year ago they brought in a big shot who was suppose to turn the company around. Instead when NCI started losing contracts because of poor proposal writing they took it out on their employees by cutting benefits. They took away everyone's sick leave that had already been accrued and instituted a new PTO program. The new program went into effect 1 Jan 2012. The employees were notified 31 Dec 2011. Some employees lost hundreds of hours of sick leave that they had accrued over years. And employees who had called out all the time and burned through all their sick leave were unaffected. They also cut 2 federal holidays which is retarded because the government is off so most of the installations are closed.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward hard work and success. Hold your managers to task when evaluating performance. Don't let them hand out blanke reviews and raises. If an entire installation on a contract gets the same percentage increase in a performance period then someone is not doing their job. Also, an employee stock purchase plan would be great. The sick leave to PTO thing was a huge morale killer. You punished people who came to work everyday and rewarded call outs. Even if you had paid out a percentage of the accrued leave or transferred a percentage to PTO it would have at least shown that you appreciated the employees that had good attendance.

Good experience, relaxed atmosphere, good conditions

Prosflexibility, laid back culture, set your own schedule

Consno benefits, pretty much on your own

Absolutely a positive work experience.

Director (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsHighly knowedgeable employees. Great working relationships, work well as a team.

Easy access to and prompt answers to questions, from management.

Demonstrated evidence of highly ethical work practices.

Excellent on - line training available for all disciplines.

Transparency on what is expected of employees.

ConsPay is somewhat less than competitors.

Hiring additional personell at some positions could be beneficial to enhance work to life balance,

Don't expect to be Taken Care Of

Information Technology (Current Employee) Rome, NY

ProsSalary - if you negotiate well.

ConsThe company just wants you to do one job, with no challenges, even when you ask for them. You are a robot to fill their clogs. Don't be 30 seconds late for work or you get written up. They run their IT shop like an IT factory. It's a bunch of "good ol boy" networks with managers/supervisors protecting each other...senior NCI HQ has no idea how abusive their managers/supervisors/team leads can be at local sites. I've seen the PM and team leads literally screaming threats at employees. Employees are afraid to say anything for fear of retribution though.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet real managers in place, not folks who have no experience with being PM's and Team Leads. The Team Leads and PM's have never filled those roles before NCI - hence the poor management.

it is not so good

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Frederick, MD

Proshigh salary, freedom, and the situation is also exciting

Consthere is too much competition, it is hard to get available postion

Advice to Senior Managementmore training

Worked for NCI? Contribute to the Community!