NCI Reviews

Reset
2.9
NCI President Brian J. Clark
Brian J. Clark

Pros
  • Good benefits, friendly place to work (in 10 reviews)

• i have met some really good people working here over the years (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management must be good since they keep winning contracts and making money (in 3 reviews)

• Between them and NETCOM's lack of leadership or management this is a terrible place to work (in 2 reviews)

1. PR Consultant

Current Employee - PR/Marketing in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - PR/Marketing in Reston, VA

I have been working at NCI (More than a year)

Pros

I love working for and with NCI. I've worked with many of the Tier 1 and Mid Tier Contractors and I believe in NCI's mission and core values. They are smart, dedicated professionals committed to their clients success. I'm really happy to work here!

Cons

Given the current climate, of government cutting back budgets, it's forced companies like theirs to ask employees to do a whole lot more. But this is something that you would find anywhere so it's not really a Con for them. It's a Con for the entire industry.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Appreciate the company newsletters and keeping us informed!

2. Always ask for the fine print!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

I have been working at NCI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Somewhat competitive salary Very knowledgeable coworkers Decent benefits Very good 401K plan. Good match to your contributions. Able to grow fast in a short amount of time.

Cons

Uncertainty of future of your contract. Keep employees in the dark for too long about a lot of things. Some PM's lack people skills and don't know how to speak to their employees Have some PM's in place that lack technical skill. Yes, it's good to have management skills, but when your employee comes to you seeking some assistance, at least know something about what they are talking about!

Advice to Management

Keep things honest with your employees and keep them in the loop on everything that is going on within the company and with the contracts, so that they are able to make informed decisions! When placing PM's, ensure that they have some technical experience, so that they are a balanced manager, so that when your employees are seeking some assistance, you can either assist or provide them the resources needed to complete their task(s).

3. Corp IT Position

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at NCI

Pros

Great self paced environment. Freedom to take on new projects. Management is always open to new technology and process improvement.

Cons

Nepotism running rampant at HQ. Family members are low performers and overpaid. Pay for newer employees is well below the average for this region. 1% raises are the norm.

Advice to Management

Sell the company so you can shed some dead weight.

Government Contractor

Former Employee - IT Program Manager in Sierra Vista, AZ
    Former Employee - IT Program Manager in Sierra Vista, AZ

I worked at NCI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you like making money for doing very little work as a Government Contractor then this is the job for you.

Cons

The company is headed in a poor direction. The leadership at corporate is very disliked and they are under bidding for contracts and employee pay, sick time, and PTO has been cut.

Advice to Management

Remember happy employees make for better performers. Cutting costs and running a company just based off of financials is a recipe for disaster.

6. Coaching assistant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Endicott, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Endicott, NY

I have been working at NCI

Pros

Flexible schedule free coffee and tea

Cons

Low pay health insurance not great at all favoritism issues constant changes in policies management has bad communication

7. Quality not there

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Sierra Vista, AZ
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Sierra Vista, AZ

I worked at NCI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Was all company gung ho when I first started as it was a new contract and everyone was friendly and excited. They have health and 401k.

Cons

Once you started you find out that what was promised in the HR paperwork and told to you by Program Managers wasn't true. Phone allowance stopped after one month. Gym reimbursement is beyond you won't get - after all the paperwork and hops I received $8.63; certification reimbursement (education) won't happen unless the contracting office will signoff; flexible spending account again is more paperwork than it is worth; get hired and told that once the contract is settled that you WILL get paid what you are worth so take this temporary cut in pay; however then the contract does get renewed and you find that they just cut your pay 30% and moved their favorite protected employees into positions they are not qualified or know how to do. They sit around all day reading the newspaper and drinking coffee. There is no career advancement. They will say anything to you to fill a spot. The issue is that the ethical people who cared have left. They pay you under the normal because they can only win a contract by lowballing.

Advice to Management

What ever happened to keeping with the company motto regarding integrity and performance. You keep hiring people who copy other companies past reports and turn them in as new work. You do not audit the Project Managers on the hosiptals, IA, networking, for Huachuca work. You really need to audit these people. Sierra Vista is a mess and look at those you have kept but transferred out of there. They are still doing unethical practices but now elsewhere.

NCI Information Systems INC

I have been working at NCI

Pros

They treat you like a person not just another company employee. Pay is above average for the Washington DC area for this position.

Cons

Benefits change frequently. We lost two holidays that regular government employyees are given. This means we need to alter our schedules or not get paid.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the benefits the employees have lost over the last few years. The company has become financially stable once again, so give back what we gave up to help NCI survive during their tough times.

9. Good Company

I worked at NCI

Pros

Invested in you as an employee

Cons

Lead time and quality wasn't as good as some of the competition

Program Manager

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager

I have been working at NCI

Pros

Company wins contract; customer complains

Cons

You get a paycheck Meetings are useless keep management separate from workers constantly changes methodologies Management is set up to cover them selves

Advice to Management

Treat all personnel the same.

Nice place to work

I have been working at NCI

Pros

Decent benefits, nice hours, PTO, being able to work without someone over my shoulder

Cons

Would like a different schedule, co worker is kinda rude

Advice to Management

Be more interactive. Take your employees opinions seriously. More team building exercises

RSS Feed </> Embed