NCI Reviews

94 reviews filtered by
3.1
NCI Chairman and CEO Charles K. Narang
Charles K. Narang

Pros
  • Decent hours, good benefits, convenient location and restaurants nearby (in 10 reviews)

• i have met some really good people working here over the years (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management must be good since they keep winning contracts and making money (in 3 reviews)

• lack of leadership, culture, personal growth (in 2 reviews)

1. Small Public Trading Company with Poor Management, Lack of Diversity in Leadership and Poor Benefits.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Washington, DC

I have been working at NCI (more than a year)

Pros

They pay a salary.

Cons

The company promotes overbilling clients by offering bonuses proportional to billing hours. No charge code for work-related activities and training; this indirectly forces employees to do these activities on client site. High Attrition rate among top talent. The lack of diversity among the leadership is alarming. Seems like a buddy-buddy club.

Advice to Management

Hiring decisions can be better but the competition is tough in DC. Mediocre talent at NCI.

Major Corporate Management Problems

Former Employee - Corporate Resource in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Corporate Resource in Reston, VA

I worked at NCI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

it's a job until i find another one. Their recruiters are nice, but it's all down hill from there....

Cons

Questionable ethics, lack of true leadership and decision making, culture of hiring friends vice the right talent, low morale, environment of gossip, mismanaged lay offs, meetings for the sake of process with little decision making. No accountability, no one makes even easy decisions - we just kick the can down the road. Many employees feel they never know who will be let go, very uncertain environment. Working here keeps you up at night thinking about what you could possibly do differently to survive the horrible corporate environment.

Advice to Management

I would doubt the company's owner knows how his "executive team" really mismanages things. Many people are in jobs over their heads. Completely out of touch with operations in the field/programs (except for the Operations SVPs). No room for employee growth, once you're pigeon holed, stuck in your lane with no where to go but out (thankfully). Hope the owner and President realize this environment, because the people they have surrounded themselves with will never tell them the emperor has no clothes.

very bad

I have been working at NCI

Pros

NONE that I can say

Cons

SRA Mgmt does not know how to manage their people

AP Accountant

Former Employee - Ap Accountant in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Ap Accountant in Reston, VA

I worked at NCI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent hours, good benefits, convenient location and restaurants nearby. A few helpful co-workers. Tuition reimbursement for those planning on returning to school.

Cons

Upper management is fully unaware of how the department managers mistreat the employees. A cover your a** type of environment, everyone is out for themselves. A lot of incompetent middle aged workers, takes a long time to get simple tasks completed. Poor compensation compared to other companies in IT Contracting.

Advice to Management

Retire.

Don't expect to be Taken Care Of

Current Employee - Information Technology in Rome, NY
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Rome, NY

I have been working at NCI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary - if you negotiate well.

Cons

The company just wants you to do one job, with no challenges, even when you ask for them. You are a robot to fill their clogs. Don't be 30 seconds late for work or you get written up. They run their IT shop like an IT factory. It's a bunch of "good ol boy" networks with managers/supervisors protecting each other...senior NCI HQ has no idea how abusive their managers/supervisors/team leads can be at local sites. I've seen the PM and team leads literally screaming threats at employees. Employees are afraid to say anything for fear of retribution though.

Advice to Management

Get real managers in place, not folks who have no experience with being PM's and Team Leads. The Team Leads and PM's have never filled those roles before NCI - hence the poor management.

Career Suicide. Avoid at all cost!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at NCI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a pay check. that is all.

Cons

No career growth. Employees are told to look outside of the company for a promotion by leadership.

Advice to Management

I thought you were a "People" company. It's time to invest in your people.

Great entry level, but no career advancement potential.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rome, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rome, NY

I have been working at NCI

Pros

Benefits, professional development, great workforce.

Cons

No career advancement potential, poor annual raises, below average pay.

Advice to Management

Activities to increase employee morale.

NCI is not a good place to work.

I have been working at NCI full-time

Pros

I got a paycheck, health insurance was okay but not great. Certification was paid-for but they have been tightening up their requirements so much so that applicants without current certs should really not bother. You get 1 month to acquire CompTIA Security+. Good luck with that.

Cons

NCI is a bottom-feeder. They undercut all other contracts and then deal with the financial disparity through their frugality with their employees. Expect micromanagement, freakish attention to timesheets, and being treated like children instead of professionals.

10. Not a bad company

I worked at NCI

Pros

Upper management was somewhat attentive to staff suggestions and observations. Aggressive early on about working with staff to please the client. Lots of training available if you can find the time to take advantage.

Cons

Hiring decisions could have been much better. The firm seemed willing to hire anybody and let the client sort it out. This placed too much stress on us. The project manager could have pushed back against the in-place subcontractor but instead let the sub-contractor walk all over him.

Advice to Management

Be much more careful about choosing project management staff.

Talented team but communications are poor.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Sierra Vista, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Sierra Vista, AZ

I have been working at NCI full-time

Pros

Pay is decent. Time off is decent. Flexibility in schedule. Very smart and talented team. They communicate how the bidding process is going but never tell anyone up front that even though they won a bid you can still be out of work.

Cons

Too many rebids with chance for layoff. Total lack of communication between sites on job task specifics. Do not feel secure in this position even though my position is perm because of the rebids every few months.

Advice to Management

In my mind with so many rebids my job is not stable thus I am constantly looking for work elsewhere. If you do not care that I can be cut at a moments notice why should I care about sticking around?

NCI Photos