NCI Reviews

94 reviews filtered by
3.1
NCI Chairman and CEO Charles K. Narang
Charles K. Narang

Pros
  • Decent hours, good benefits, convenient location and restaurants nearby (in 10 reviews)

• i have met some really good people working here over the years (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management must be good since they keep winning contracts and making money (in 3 reviews)

• lack of leadership, culture, personal growth (in 2 reviews)

1. Small Public Trading Company with Poor Management, Lack of Diversity in Leadership and Poor Benefits.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Washington, DC

I have been working at NCI (more than a year)

Pros

They pay a salary.

Cons

The company promotes overbilling clients by offering bonuses proportional to billing hours. No charge code for work-related activities and training; this indirectly forces employees to do these activities on client site. High Attrition rate among top talent. The lack of diversity among the leadership is alarming. Seems like a buddy-buddy club.

Advice to Management

Hiring decisions can be better but the competition is tough in DC. Mediocre talent at NCI.

NCI is not a good place to work.

I have been working at NCI full-time

Pros

I got a paycheck, health insurance was okay but not great. Certification was paid-for but they have been tightening up their requirements so much so that applicants without current certs should really not bother. You get 1 month to acquire CompTIA Security+. Good luck with that.

Cons

NCI is a bottom-feeder. They undercut all other contracts and then deal with the financial disparity through their frugality with their employees. Expect micromanagement, freakish attention to timesheets, and being treated like children instead of professionals.

3. Good company to work for.

I have been working at NCI

Pros

Flexible working conditions and hours

Cons

Management has problems identifying qualified individuals

Advice to Management

Learn to manage contracts

5. NCIINC

I worked at NCI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent company very ethical and good atmosphere.

Cons

Trusting of some shady connections

Advice to Management

Some of the contracts provide misleading information to NCI trying to put the blame wrongfully on NCI..

6. Database Administrator

I have been working at NCI

Pros

Flexible hours and great coworkers

Cons

Position is contracted by the US military (job security)

7. NCI Great company

I worked at NCI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nci was a great company to work for they were big on growth for us. Education and training. benefits were great and they took care of moral in the workforce.

Cons

There is only a few that come to mind maybe one being turnover on employees.

Advice to Management

That local management was great,

Major Corporate Management Problems

Former Employee - Corporate Resource in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Corporate Resource in Reston, VA

I worked at NCI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

it's a job until i find another one. Their recruiters are nice, but it's all down hill from there....

Cons

Questionable ethics, lack of true leadership and decision making, culture of hiring friends vice the right talent, low morale, environment of gossip, mismanaged lay offs, meetings for the sake of process with little decision making. No accountability, no one makes even easy decisions - we just kick the can down the road. Many employees feel they never know who will be let go, very uncertain environment. Working here keeps you up at night thinking about what you could possibly do differently to survive the horrible corporate environment.

Advice to Management

I would doubt the company's owner knows how his "executive team" really mismanages things. Many people are in jobs over their heads. Completely out of touch with operations in the field/programs (except for the Operations SVPs). No room for employee growth, once you're pigeon holed, stuck in your lane with no where to go but out (thankfully). Hope the owner and President realize this environment, because the people they have surrounded themselves with will never tell them the emperor has no clothes.

9. Great people, horrible pay

I have been working at NCI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There's a playfully competitive environemnt that really brings out the best in the workers.

Cons

The pay on my contract is really dismal.

Advice to Management

Stop posting jobs with a title "Tier I PC Technicain" and a job description of "Provide Tier II Support" then paying us minimum of field for PC I tech. Seriously I'd love to work for you guys but I'm getting paid less than 60% of industry average.

10. Review

I have been working at NCI

Pros

Work can be consistant and compensation is good.

Cons

Project managers can leave you out in the cold

11. I worked with talented people on a difficult mission, and we achieved far more than the customer had hoped we would.

Current Employee - Senior Capabilities Manager in Sierra Vista, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Capabilities Manager in Sierra Vista, AZ

I have been working at NCI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

NCI finds good people to put on the contracts they support, a task made more difficult in this particular region due to its somewhat remote nature. When push came to shove on the contract I supported and there was a demand for contractors to become Security+ certified, the company came through and provided a boot-camp-like training session.

Cons

Once on a contract, there's not much room for movement. This could be due to the way the contract is written, or perhaps it is because of the difficulty of finding qualified people who want to work in this area, or something else...

Advice to Management

Continue to offer more educational opportunities for people in the more administratively-bound positions to continue to retain technical skills. What makes me, for example, a good technical worker is my technical skills...but when I'm in a role where I write papers more than work on equipment, those technical skills rust. To counter that, there needs to be more opportunity to take certification courses - to help keep the technical details more in practice.

NCI Photos