NCR Reviews in Dayton, OH

Updated October 5, 2014
Updated October 5, 2014

NCR Chairman, President & CEO Bill Nuti
Bill Nuti

Pros
  • Management team speaks frequently on maintaining work-life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Great option for female employers as there are work from home options (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is a challenge for most employees since this is truely a global company (in 40 reviews)

• Many employees have since left after being treated so poorly by upper management from Atlanta (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights

36 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

NCR HR

Current Employee - Recruitment Advisor in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Recruitment Advisor in Dayton, OH

I have been working at NCR as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

NCR has a strong people culture and as an intern I was given a lot of support and also autonomy to work on my projects.

Cons

They say all roads lead to Dayton at NCR and as a single young graduate the work location wasn't desirable. Also, as an IT company they don't seem to have a strong portfolio to grow into broader markets.

you will feel how the company shrinks.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dayton, OH

I have been working at NCR full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

flexible hours if you can get your work done.

Cons

almost everything else, management, salary, training, etc

The NCR management would not listen to any advice.

lots of politics

Former Employee - Compensation in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Compensation in Dayton, OH

I worked at NCR full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

made excellent money but lots of poltical posturing and pointing

Cons

politics, lack of leadership, favortism

whatever

No identity.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dayton, OH

I worked at NCR full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Big corporation- can be used to learn how large corporations work, and for some name recognition on your resume. They hire from good schools, so you'll run into some talent, but they discourage collaboration, and they prefer controllable geeks with no social skills (anti-social in some cases).

Cons

Zero transparency. Silo culture. Paternalistic. Favoritism. Passive aggressive. They resent you if you call their bluff on their training promise. Small town culture. Paranoid and controlling. Sit down, shut up, look like you're working, mind-read your manager because he can't be bothered, dare not ask about strategy, tactics, future, etc.

Your name recognition gives you the opportunity to hire talented people, but you squander that opportunity when you suppress and control that talent. You should feed the talent and let it grow.

Was great when it was one company and in Dayton

I worked at NCR

Pros

Global company, decent benefits, great mid managements and a variety of job opportunities. B2B business with long history and prestige.

Cons

Stock price that does not move, And the company has gone from being the Jewel of Dayton to one of many in Atlanta.

Just because you came from teh outside, it was not OK to destroy the cuslture built over a 100 years.

Dayton gone....hello Atlanta

Former Employee - Manager in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Dayton, OH

I worked at NCR

Pros

The people not just in the Dayton campus, but around the world, are dedicated, hard-working and extremely experienced....there is a loyalty and pride that comes from having managed through so many business environment and technology changes.

Cons

Previous references (on this site) to getting rid of the "trash" in Dayton shows a lack of understanding of the circumstances that the Dayton campus experienced over the past few years (since Mr. Nuti became CEO).The Dayton employee pool was alway in the crosshairs. Senior managers (with a few exceptions) were located anywhere in the world except Dayton. The closeness we should have felt as a tight senior and middle management team could never be forged under those circumstances. The fact that there was a high proportion of employees with 20 and 30-plus years (given the culling that took place in the past) meant that we had a really top team of high performers. These were thrown overboard purely as the cheapest way to get these high earners off the books....time will tell if Atlanta based teams can cut it! Employees effected by the RIF are being snapped up by other employers even in a shrinking job market. Proof of the pudding?

The dispersed locations of company executives does not facilitate a spirit of teaming or a feeling that we have common goals...senior managers that were once accessible are now just a voice on a conference call or in a canned video. Leaders of different functional areas are tasked to succeed (and rewarded or punished accordingly)...however where is the spirit of "we are all one NCR"....unless you can engender that NCR will remain a mediocre company.

I worked at NCR

Pros

Excellent benefit options
    Comparable salaries
    Diverse product line
    Vacations and personal time-off
    Excellent training, both classroom and computer based training available

Cons

Constant reorganizations and lay-offs
    No longer offer home-based work environment
    Low employee morale due to lack of support by senior management and increased work loads
    Bonuses are consistently reduced

Senior management needs to be more in touch with who is doing the work and who is taking credit for the work. Senior management should lead by example. If employees are required to live in Georgia, senoir management should also live in Georgia, not in New York and Dayton.

NCR, Great place to work, (if you live in Atlanta)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I have been working at NCR

Pros

NCR is a large sales oriented company with offices world wide. Although travel has been somewhat scaled back recently, NCR still offers opportunities to travel to many corners of the world. NCR has a global presence on every continent in over 140 countries. I enjoyed working as part of a global team with members in Europe, Asia, Africa, Austria, and the Americas. NCR has a rich heritage over 120 years. Inventors of the cash register, ATM machine, Bar code scanner, Carbon less paper and LCD display panels.

Cons

NCR is experiencing growing (or shrinking) pains since the announcement last year the NCR world headquarters would move to Duluth GA. The move has caused a loss of talented people from the NCR ranks. This time of transition is difficult but may bring lots of opportunities to workers in Duluth.

Continue with company growth, but find a way to show some loyalty to those employee's that have not yet been displaced.

Buyer beware!

I worked at NCR

Pros

Challenging work assignments, opportunity to work with some very hardworking and dedicated individuals

Cons

Very high expectations of management - innovate, but remain cost neutral; work crazy hours with little financial upside. Live in fear that your position will some day be eliminated. Transition to Georgia means at least 2-3 years of chaos ahead of you as the company tries once again to stabilize.

Why bother - management hear turns a deaf ear to any reasonable solutions recommended anyway

Nothing Has Changed at NCR, I See

Former Employee - Training Manager in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Training Manager in Dayton, OH

I worked at NCR

Pros

NCR's sales training programs and technical training programs are excellent. I know nothing of their management training programs and am not aware they have any.

Cons

Stodgy -- its technology is constantly behind the curve; management lacks the youthful, positive, progressive leadership of a company like Google and thus discourages innovation and initiative.

Soulless -- Dayton may be one of the dullest cities on Earth, but it's the birthplace of NCR. For NCR to abandon it at this time, with all of Ohio becoming a rust belt, shows the company has no regard for the community in which it is located and for its own history.

I left this company long before 2008, but the menu here offered me no other choice. I mention this just to make a point: this company has changed little, if at all, over the past 30 years, or longer. It was bad then, and judging by the negative comments I've seen here, is still bad. I don't know what keeps this company in business. Its customer base consists of retailers, many of whom end up closing their doors, and banks, who have been absorbed and merged to the point where there are a very few big banks ruling the financial roost. Do any of these mega-banks still buy their goods from NCR? It's difficult to believe they would, as features and price are more attractive in NCR's competitors' products. The mega-banks make centralized purchases from a single manufacturer, so, if Chase or Bank of America decide to replace all of their ATMs with a non-NCR product, I can't see how NCR could possibly stay in business. It should have diversified years ago. (In fairness, tho, it once did try to sell PC's in the retail market and failed miserably.)