NCR

NCR Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2014

NCR Chairman, President & CEO Bill Nuti

Bill Nuti

Pros:
  • "Management team speaks frequently on maintaining work-life balance"
    in 33 reviews
  • "collaborative environment, good benefits, positive culture, competitive compensation"
    in 30 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance is a challenge for most employees since this is truely a global company"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Many employees have since left after being treated so poorly by upper management from Atlanta"
    in 30 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Passionate employees.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat environment for self starters.

ConsMany layoffs and call backs.

It's a good company to work while you look for a better position

CE II (Current Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

ProsYou get company vehicle that you can't use other than for work but it helps

ConsManagement needs to be more aware of bad techs an do something about it

An "OK" Company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNCR is 130 years old, standing the test of time. Known for ATMs, self-service kiosks, point-of-sale terminals, check processing systems, and barcode scanners.

ConsThe brand name is well known, but it is a veneer for the current state of affairs. The company culture leaves a lot to be desired, feeling like a throwback to another time in the rust belt. As could be expected at any former manufacturing shop, the company is highly political and the environment can quickly become toxic. A union mentality will get you far here.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company culture needs to change, for the benefit of NCR and its employees.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

As a contractor, I served as a project coordinator for several project managers at NCR, Corp.

Project Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Norcross, GA

ProsThe best things about working with NCR, Corp was the fact that it was a virtual (work from home) position and the fact that they (NCR) offer a number of professional and educational opportunities online through NCR University.

ConsProjects and/or project budgets can shrink or contract without warning which can cause staffing and other resources to be reduced again with little to no warning.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a very energetic and positive work environment but do continue to build and strengthen your team cohesion which should result in people who will openly communicate and trust each other.

Nice place to work- flexible and high performance

Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee)
    Duluth, GA

ProsLarge company with a lot of areas for development, very diverse workplace, flexible working hours and virtual cababilities, Great to work on a global scale.

ConsHard to find job openings within the company, lack of clear succession planning, lack of IT resources

An honest review

Implementation Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Duluth, GA

ProsUnlike the other reviewers who amusingly are pro NCR after having only worked 1 year or the gentlemen who said ignore the bad review because they are just 1% of employees who don't want to work hard, I will give an honest assessment. It is true, what some of the more positive posters say regarding pay and flexible hours, at least for the office folk. The people I personally work with are all great and make it worth going to work and to be fair, the work itself I enjoy. The company is trying and making a lot of changes, this is also true, the pros stop there. Excellent amount of vacation time for those who get to actually use it.

ConsI'll start with the changes... our CEO fancies NCR to becoming a software company with an atmosphere like Google. In fact, the company has bought this innovation rather than produced it. Our best ideas in the past couple of years belong to companies we bought out. The benefits are just OK. The new health insurance plan costs me more out of pocket than the previous plan. There are more than 1% of the employees who dislike NCR, but will not leave because as I stated above, the pay is good. They are not unwilling to do the work. I've seen it on a daily basis, people in at 7 or 8 am and going home at 10 or 11 pm or logging in at home after dinner and working until midnight or later. When you break it down into the amount of time expected to receive this pay, you could probably do better be being a server depending on your position. Some said there is room for advancement.. that is very department specific. If you're in any part of the service organization, this is not true. Leadership focuses on increased profitability, however this is done through smoke and mirrors w/ tax incentives from Georgia and cutting costs by shipping jobs overseas troubled countries where employees are willing to work for next to nothing. The metrics used to measure success are a mess with departments grouped together under metrics that only apply to part of the group. Senior management seems to get bonuses regularly for a job well done, however their subordinates seem to "fall short" and not get bonuses (which are now gone favor of profit sharing). Hard to understand how a VP could get a bonus for their department doing well while those who do the actual work are told they fell short and won't be compensated. The last huge negative is training. There is pride in our training by those who are not subjected to it. Yes we have many online courses, but they're not clear on what career path they can guide you on and the grit training on actual job functions is next to nil. It is fast and brief and sets up people up for failure. Having a fast paced environment is one thing... speeding people through training is just inadequate. I am very suspicious of the spurt of positive reviews, again, especially from those saying they've only been w/ the company for a year. Any that are from the companies we've purchased are pretty much moot points because NCR hasn't infected their culture yet. Hopefully, they will infect NCR instead.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdmit the failure of jobs being "outsourced" to troubled companies. I was gone for a couple of years and came expecting new exciting improvements only to find the same mistakes under a different business "culture". This has only made every person I work with feel as if our jobs are dead end jobs that will all eventually be sent overseas. Stop with the shell game regarding real estate changes. The only reason NCR left Ohio is because Georgia dangled a multimillion dollar carrot. While it is important to keep share holders happy and everyone's job at NCR to keep our customers happy, don't forget that confident, appreciated employees make happy employees which are more productive. This sounds like I don't like NCR, which is only half true... I came back after feeling betrayed in Dayton and that was because of the team I worked with and my manager. I stay because despite the things I hate about our company, I get great satisfaction when I provide excellent service to my customers, even turning around one customer who initially had a bad impression of NCR. However, with the continued use of outdated software tools w/in the company (trying to be a software company ironically) and the continued practice of pushing out older employees to lessen the retirement compensations and to ship jobs overseas for the illusion of additional profits has caused a lot of people to reconsider a career here... believing it isn't possible. Lastly... our WHQ is in Georgia. Our senior leaders should be, too. An added, unnecessary expense keeping offices in New York could go towards better facilities in Georgia or showing the current employees they are appreciated. I take it back, this is the last thing I want to say... there are great people working for NCR and there is an environment that is a pleasure to work within and I would love to continue my career here for the foreseeable future, however, you've created an environment where almost all of us feel like our time is already running out.

NCR provides challaning career opportunites

Senior Director (Current Employee)
    Duluth, GA

ProsA lot of flexibility, great people, aggressive targets, global environment, strong leadership.

ConsEnd of quarter frenzy

Advice to Senior ManagementMore focus on balancing short and long them objectives

Why Dinosaurs became extinct

Management (Current Employee)

Proslarge global presence
    well recognized name among businesses for B2B
    great company if you want to build a million widgets

Cons-archaic internal systems
    -Not a people oriented company
    -all infrastructure is very "un human"
    -top management and employees a big disconnect. Should have an Undercover Boss day to really hear what happens

Advice to Senior Management-People build profitability not the other way around
    -Build systems where people focus on their responsibilities and not processes that consume 20% of their time on self service infrastructure items
    -Manage company objectives and commitments to retain people in the long term
    -Cycle veterans who are more about process than getting things done fast
    -Stop focusing on the pennies while throwing away dollars

Old , historic company, not going anywhere

Proshave great co workorkers, good manager, great job for 2-3 years with average pay and benefits...

Constime off! as a customer engineer the company makes you feel like you should never have time off, vacation , floating holidays....no career advancement... after your 3rdyear here start looking elsewhere for personal growth and income, your not going to get it here.
    No such thing as a 8 hour work day...expect 10 hours of work every day

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many thing's to list, don't even know where to start...better bussines plan, marketing, product development,employee treatment........

Not employee's best interest

IT Analyst (Former Employee)
    Duluth, GA

ProsOptional work from home days

ConsThey do not care about the employee's. Will let you work no longer than 3-4yrs and then will give you a bad review knowing that you are doing what has been asked and beyond just to replace you with college interns.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally need to watch how you get rid of people because a lawsuit is coming soon.

Worked for NCR? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NCR reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for NCR CEO Bill Nuti. All 809 reviews posted anonymously by NCR employees.