NCR

NCR Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

NCR Chairman, President & CEO Bill Nuti

Bill Nuti

Pros:
  • "The best part about the company is the work/life balance"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Great option for female employers as there are work from home options"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Management encourages to take more leaves for work life balance this is good"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Upper management finds ways to take away money from employees"
    in 26 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Amazingly bad work environment with horrible managerial practices

Customer Engineer II (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at NCR full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAt NCR, you can enjoy being lied to by management, abused with killer work schedules, and threatened with job loss if you offer constructive feedback. If you use good judgement, you're likely to be disciplined. The trick to survival is to be a 'yes-man' and not use your head for anything beyond the most strict confines of your position duties. Logistics has improved, but still has a loooong way to go, need to learn to ship good parts and stop sending the wrong parts. Also, Logistics needs to get current updates to CEs in the field

ConsPay is lower than any other place I've worked for this type of work. Also, you have to work an hour unpaid every day. Can't wait to see the next scheme they hatch to get more $ or free work from CEs.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some training for CEs. Get some training for management.

Glad I got out!

Customer Engineer II (Former Employee)

I worked at NCR full-time for more than a year

ProsLiked the actual work and customer interaction but this is the worst place I ever worked.

ConsNCR is only concerned with the bottom line and as a morally bankrupt company they look for every opportunity to screw their customers and employees. Don't take a job with this company unless you are absolutely desperate. Don't buy this companies stock either. Their earnings grow year over year but its not a result of a growing business. They continue to increase their profits by outsourcing everyone possible, cutting back employee benefits and not providing services sold to customers such as preventative maintenance. For example they will tell the customer their equipment will get preventative maintenance quarterly on annually or whatever but unless the customer enforces the contract NCR just won't do it. As a customer engineer the on call pay is a joke and the company policies twist your arm to get you to work off the clock. The company has cut back on managers and closed all field offices to save money. All the managers are yes men and they are trained to spew out all the legally correct statements like "we are not saying you should be doing this on your own time" and "everyone is required to take lunch, you can't work through lunch and expect to get paid unless you have OT approval." (Most CEs work through lunch for free since they are expected to complete 10-12 hours worth of work in an quote 8 hour day). Every market is different but in 2013 I worked almost 450 hours of overtime, was on call 4 of the major 6 holidays and ended up working on 3 of them. My point is there is no work life balance and NCR doesn't give a crap about your family or personal life. They do not value their employees and NCR's attitude is they are all just lucky we give them a job! My manager liked saying "if you don't like it we all have options" -translated- "if you don't like it go find somewhere else to work." Because of this attitude NCR retains a lot of lazy or incompetent people who really don't add much value to the company and cant find a better job. I could go on for hours but I will stop here. If you decide to take a job with NCR good luck. I hope you have a better experience than me.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo the right thing every once in a while.

Salting the reviews

Customer Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at NCR full-time for more than a year

ProsNot very much at all. It's a job and a thankless one. Free gas and cell phone.

ConsI guess Mr Nutti doesn't want another spot in this years worst places to work list so everyone down in Atlanta are submitting these glowing reviews that look as though they were typed up by HR

Advice to Senior ManagementHey Bill, want to not be one of the worst companies to work for? How about treating your people like humans ands not robots

Not very impressed

Aliso Viejo, CA

I have been working at NCR full-time for more than a year

ProsOK benefits. May gain some additional knowledge using their online University (NCRU).

ConsThey bought my company last year. Almost 9 months later they approved hiring more help, although they new we are short handed. Then they announced no raises and assigned wrong job titles (which affects raises/bonuses...). The new hires have the correct job title and compensation but old employee do not. So, we are tasks with training our new coworkers who make a lot more than us. They are horrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to care about their employees. Employees are not just numbers!

Not recommended.

Not Given (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at NCR full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFlexible hours. Decent pay.

Cons"Performance culture" robs deserving employees of bonuses and pay raises.
Exceedingly, EXCEEDINGLY DIFFICULT to do business internally and externally. Orders continually shipping incorrectly to the point our external clients are purchasing NCR hardware from outside vendors.
Need to return something? Don't. Sell it on ebay instead. It's easier that way.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more granular with teams. It's completely unfair to rob one team of merit increases because the larger group failed to meet quota but the smaller one did.
When people advise of difficulties, PAY ATTENTION ALREADY. Don't keep asking for documentation when it's been provided multiple times. LISTEN UP.
Make sure that "Everyday Made Easier" applies to employees and internal transactions, not just the consumer experience.

Core value is torn down

Business Development & Sales Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at NCR full-time for more than 8 years

Prosstrong base and name in the industry
working level are great to work with

Consridiculous projections of revenue without supports
unreasonable cost-cut and layoffs
clumsy admin work, inefficient supply chain support
senior management didn't hear working level feedback
HR is not helpful at all

Advice to Senior Managementcost cut is not the way to help the company success

Horrible Corporate Management

I have been working at NCR full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe only good thing about this company is the name

ConsThere is -1000% loyalty to employees. This company is BY FAR ONE OF THE MOST (IF NOT THE MOST) CUT THROAT companies I have had the DISPLEASURE of dealing with (Especially any interaction with Upper Managements Assistants).....

Advice to Senior ManagementBill Nuti and John (CTO) need to keep their personal affairs with their employees OUTSIDE the office. It is more than evident of the despicable affairs going on. BOD need to look closer at what is "really going on behind closed doors of NCR".

Strongly recommend to avoid

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at NCR full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe paychecks are on time, the company was relatively healthy. Most employees are great people, and great to work with.

ConsThe benefits package is terrible. Management consists of a bunch of kool-aid drinking members of a clique, and unless you're in the clique, promotions are nonexistent. Interpersonal relationships are a problem, as there are several married couples there in positions of authority. Get on any one of the clique's bad side, and your career there is doomed.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider taking care of your talent. A modest 2% pay "raise" while slashing the health benefits (and lying and saying we're getting a better deal) is not the way to enhance talent retention.

Unrealistic goals and fear based culture

I have been working at NCR full-time for more than 10 years

ProsReasonable place to work if you are mid to lower level employee. Base pay is reasonable but bonus pay system is arbitrary and inequitable.

ConsGoals are unrealistic and basically unattainable. The operating culture is fear based not collaborative. The culture for upper management is oppressive and disrespectful.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet realistic and attainable goals. Treat upper level employees with respect. Change the culture to more open and collaborative instead of fear based.

Watch your back!

I have been working at NCR full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTotal compensation package can be competitive. Make sure you negotiate when you first start a new position to get as much as possible.

ConsConstant restructuring, lack of communication and poor ethics from leaderships.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with your team.

Worked for NCR? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NCR reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for NCR CEO Bill Nuti. All 742 reviews posted anonymously by NCR employees.