NCR

1,002 Reviews
1,002 Reviews

NCR Chairman, President & CEO Bill Nuti
Bill Nuti

Pros
  • Management team speaks frequently on maintaining work-life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Great option for female employers as there are work from home options (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is a challenge for most employees since this is truely a global company (in 42 reviews)

• No Work Life Balance - Working from home is actually discouraged, and frowned upon (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Field Service Engineer I,II

I worked at NCR

Pros

Pretty cool, No Tight supervision over your head every minutes, but you still got to get to different sites on time.
    Jut do your job and you will be fine.

Cons

Hard to meet everybody SLA and starting pay can be low with no actual raise near future.

Take care of your CEs, they are the face of your company.
    They interact with the customer on a daily basis.

I worked as Software developer at NCR and it was a great experience

Former Employee - Software Developer in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I worked at NCR full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I loved the environment and culture at NCR. You have accessibility to ask and seek advice from high level professionals.

Cons

To move up in the chain or to get promotions is difficult. Because all the positions are always filled. People dont really want to leave NCR.

They rgood

I have been working at NCR

Pros

Fun love to work there

Cons

Can be disorganized in the company

Ncr a great place to grow

I have been working at NCR

Pros

High salary, was like being CEO of your own job, structure, fellow managers

Cons

Company does not give credit where it is deserved

Be personal about people and professional about business

Disappointing leadership

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer

I worked at NCR full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I can't think of one reason to work here unless it's because you couldn't find anything else. NCR does offer unlimited sick time but you'll need it after the insanity here.

Cons

401K matching isn't paid until Dec 31. Benefits are poor given the size of the company. No job promotions, minimal pay raises. Leadership is out of touch with employees and reality so the decision making process results in poor decisions with even worse results.

Stop giving yourself bonus's and raises if you aren't giving them to your employees. Listen to what your employees are trying to tell you - you're going to need their advice if you want to get out of the hole you're in. The world's changing and NCR needs to change also.

Greatness to obscurity

Former Employee - St Customer Engineer in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - St Customer Engineer in Miami, FL

I worked at NCR full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

NCR has a long and venerable history with many great achievements. Training was one of their great hallmarks. Customer Engineers will see daily variety if you like a job that doesn't stay behind a desk.

Cons

Training has been reduced to viewing CD's whenever you can find time. 24x7 On call is a never hassle. You are a tool or a part for them to use to make a profit. Management vision is small.

A great place to learn the basics. Not the best for advancement.

Former Employee - Software Support Technician III in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Software Support Technician III in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at NCR full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I was a call center technician for the Aloha POS software solution. During this time, I learned quite a bit about Windows; more than I thought I knew.

The tools we have for remote support are excellent. They are developed in-house and make connecting to a customer's site both a breeze and a pleasure.

I worked with a great group of people. We always had fun together and always worked to help each other out.

At the time, my manager did support my efforts at contributing more to the team. Even though I was not getting paid more, my manager's consenting to my contribution to the team helped me grow as a technician.

This company offered the best work-life balance of any company I've ever worked for. By far. If you opted for it, you could work 4 days a week for 10 hours as a software support technician. This schedule is absolutely glorious.

Cons

My transfer to another department was blocked. I was not the first person that this is happened to, and I know for a fact that I wasn't the last. Advancement, at least from a technical support position, is incredibly hard.

At the time I worked, there was quite a bit of personal drama floating among the group.

The pay is low and woefully inconsistent among technicians. Some the finest troubleshooters on the floor were earning $33,000/yr, which was lower than the people they were solving escalations for.

Management seemed to pick their favorites. This, for obvious reasons, did not help morale at all.

We were understaffed. There were too many outstanding tickets and not enough employees. Credit card related escalations required technicians with a very specific in-house certification, and management was in no hurry to promote more technicians to satisfy this requirement and backfill their positions.

Radiant Systems was acquired by NCR. NCR had a pay-grade system, but didn't enforce it for Radiant. As a result, people were getting paid far lower than their NCR counterparts. Completely unacceptable.

Pay your support staff well. They are an important face of the company and work hard to ensure customer satisfaction.

Don't block promotions. Ever. You should always be encouraging growth within the company.

Offer more trainings. Not just Aloha-related, but Windows as well. Make sure this time is segmented off from regular duties and protected from interference. If employees are developing solid skills and have a path to grow in the company, they won't leave.

Company raises should be higher and more frequent. You must pay good, evolving talent or they will not stay.

It's easy to get people to like you, but stay below the radar.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Duluth, GA

I worked at NCR full-time

Pros

For the most part, the environment is very relaxed. Flex time was a big plus. It was possible to work from home at least once a week. Management didn't complain if a lunch break or personal appointment took more than an hour.

Cons

The company is self-insured, so premiums, deductibles, and co-pays are all very high. 401k matching is extremely low, and it was moved to the end of the year as on bulk match. You do not get the match throughout the year. Even though the company claims to follow agile methodologies, there are many people and divisions that still follow very old and entrenched processes and culture. Many of them fear change and will complain about you to management. Bonuses are rarely even close to 100%, and it starts at the top based on promises to shareholders. It only gets worse from there.

Listen to the employees that you know are intelligent. Fix the compensation and perks structure. Pay close attention to all levels of leadership and take notice of the ones that are really responsible for poor performance. Much of what goes wrong with the company is due to managerial orders.

Could be a great company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA

I have been working at NCR

Pros

Pay and insurance, location.

Cons

Closing the Duluth office.Management do not try to understand how things work. They just make decisions off the money they making or not making.

Come off your high horse and learn how certain departments work before making decisions for the company.

Big Data Engineer Intern

I worked at NCR

Pros

It has a great work environment. The people there are very helpful and nice. I gained a lot of knowledge and learned new skills as an intern.

Cons

The approval process moves a little slow