NCS Pearson

Updated November 4, 2014
Updated November 4, 2014
3.7

David W. Smith

Pros
  • Decent company, good work-life balance, (in 5 reviews)

• I learned so much working with such great people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Quality feedback about performance was only received at the end of employment term (in 2 reviews)

• They do tell you the scoring schedule window is an estimate (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

system admin

Current Employee - Administrator
    Current Employee - Administrator

I have been working at NCS Pearson full-time

Pros

good company to stay long term

Cons

work life isn't balance here

Most convoluted certification process

Current Employee - Online Scorer in North Amityville, NY
    Current Employee - Online Scorer in North Amityville, NY

I have been working at NCS Pearson part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You work remotely and it was interesting to see that this type of certification exists. Too bad it is not more relevant to what students of the "student teacher" needs to learn, and no measure of any learning outcomes.

Cons

Horrible training where they try to brainwash you to think like the non teacher/facilitator, moderator that is running the "consensus scoring"! It does not seem that any of the trainers or many of the scorers (and surely not the designers of the Rubrics and the TBR (Thinking Behind the Rubrics) have ever been in a classroom. While they say the "rubrics" standardize the process, the language especially on the "Language" rubric, is so wrapped up in applying terminology that is just not understandable and not applicable to certifying a new teacher.

Rethink the process and employee designers and scorers that will come up with a more relevant certification process.

An okay way to make some extra income

Current Employee - Online Scorer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Online Scorer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at NCS Pearson as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

-You can work remotely from home
    -Flexible hours
    -Responsive supervisors/content/tech support when you call
    -An opportunity to ensure accurate standardized test scoring
    -Bonuses can be generous

Cons

-Training isn't in-depth enough
    -Contractors that score high-stakes standardized tests are not certified teachers; they are only required to have a Bachelor's degree
    -Training criteria changes throughout a project, making it confusing for scorers to score accurately
    -Project pay differs (some projects pay horribly low while others pay decent and offer generous bonuses. You never know which project you're going to be assigned).
    -Mindless work at times

Be consistent with training criteria. Be more selective about who you choose to score these important tests and pay contractors decently for ALL projects.

Tedious and repetitive work under close supervision

I worked at NCS Pearson as a contractor

Pros

Compensation was performance based in my section. Accurate and efficient work was rewarded with increased pay. Overtime (1.5x pay) was offered for the project. The highest quality scorers were making over $20/hr.

Cons

Micromanaged by a supervisor who was inconsistent and sometimes unclear with instruction. The work is mentally intensive and very repetitive. Also, it's easy to lose some faith in humanity because so many students were clearly clueless in answering seemingly simple questions.

Allow scorers who have proven their capabilities of accuracy and efficiency to complete work at home. At the very least, allow scorers to listen to music with headphones at the scoring center to help break up the monotony.

Remote Scorer

Current Employee - Remote Scorer in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Remote Scorer in Arlington, TX

I have been working at NCS Pearson part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is by far the best part time job I have ever had. I started scoring for Pearson in 2008. As long as you can understand the training materials and the goal of the position, you will do well and be asked to come back year after year.

Cons

Not enough hours. That is my only complaint, but that isn't Pearson's fault. When the papers are all scored, they are all scored and there is no more work.

Continue to re-hire good scorers each year. We do appreciate the opportunity to work from home.

flexible

Current Employee - Remote Scorer in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Remote Scorer in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at NCS Pearson as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Once you're hired and have proven your abilities, you will be asked back for future assignments. And declining an assignment does not negatively impact your options for future jobs.

Cons

They do tell you the scoring schedule window is an estimate. But, if you're expecting to get a certain number of hours on certain days, it's all dependent upon how many responses are loaded into the system and how many scorers are working at that particular time. The beginning of a project is the most erratic. After a few days, there's usually a smother flow.

Something really needs to be changed regarding the reading rubrics. So, so very many scores are subjective.

Chandler, AZ location awesome place to work

Former Employee - Software Support in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Software Support in Chandler, AZ

I worked at NCS Pearson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Anthony Hayer the person I reported to was phenomenal. No bs, had constructive criticism and went to bat for his team as long as you came clean to him.
    - Understood that most people want to progress and was willing to help in that endeavor

Cons

- There is a pretty big disconnect with Engineering/Development and the support staff. This is pretty common in a big corp like this with so many products but definitely left a bad taste with some of the clientele I helped. Again management had your back but sometimes it sucked just submitting a ticket and hoping something got fixed opposed to knowing it was going to get fixed.

I think the only thing management needed to know they already did and that was the disconnect between engineering/development and support that actually helped the clientele and mgmt took that to their bosses but with such a big corporation there are many loopholes to jump through for something like that to change.

a good place to work in terms of flexible working time

I have been working at NCS Pearson full-time

Pros

1. flexible in working time
    2. average benefit

Cons

1. sometime the work could be very stressful
    2. too many management levels

the managers need to be more professional

Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Scoring Support in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Scoring Support in Iowa City, IA

I worked at NCS Pearson as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

The hours, the people you work you with, non stress job

Cons

Seasonal Position, towards the end of employment was laid off more than I worked

Don't let your dedicated employees go, just because they are in a temp position try to promote them to a more permanent postion

Okay

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bloomington, MN

I worked at NCS Pearson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-nice people you're working with

-lots of free food

-the industry is really interesting

-work/life balance is great

Cons

-middle managers are pleasant people who mean well, but treat the reps like children

-Good Ol' Boys Club. Actually caring about what you do and for the mission appears far less important than looking busy

-Unbelievable micromanagement (which goes back to the first bulletpoint: treated like children/idiots). You are required to push a button every time you leave your desk so middle managers can monitor your away time from your desk, among other things

We're not 2nd graders who need our hand held while walking to the drinking fountain. Please treat us like adults with college degrees and ambitions.