NCS Pearson Reviews

Do Not Even Bother

Former Employee - Remote Scorer in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Remote Scorer in Remote, OR

I worked at NCS Pearson

Pros

You get to work from home? That is about it. That is, if you can even get work. There are very little pros otherwise.

Cons

The system never works. It goes down constantly. There is never any work available. Two weeks in, excuses, excuses. A few of us have spent hours upon hours on hold, but now they hang up the phone, so they don't have to pay you for waiting. Nobody ever calls you back. Nobody knows anything about your position or why stuff isn't working. It is so poorly orchestrated. I know people who keep getting moved subject area to area and different grade levels yet still have not had a chance to score anything. (Training is paid less than scoring, by the way.) The live chat never works. The emailing never works. You will constantly be told different things by many different people. If you try to call HR 9.9 out of 10 times it forwards you to the general line. The hours never populate into the time sheet field correctly, so you need to correct your own hours every day so you actually get paid. Complete waste of your time. I would only recommend this position to someone who already has income and is just looking for an extra $20-50 a week. And if you think constant frustration is fun.

Advice to Management

Maybe you aren't cut out to handle this much testing and scoring? I have no idea why nothing was stress tested. All of us have heard there are over 9k scorers. What? It seems like it is an amateur operation, despite the fact that millions upon millions of dollars have gone to this company to deliver and to score these tests. I had a neutral opinion on Pearson and testing, but now I KNOW it is a total joke from first hand experience.

No work.

Current Employee - At Home Scorer in Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - At Home Scorer in Glenview, IL

I have been working at NCS Pearson

Pros

Minimal hiring requirements. Flexible schedule.

Cons

There's no actual work. I spent two weeks staring at "Out of work" messages, because all responses had already been scored. Despite this being a 6 week project. Incredibly depressing. All the promises of having robust employee support were bogus. The call center was usually shut off. No live chat. No responses to email. Systems were down more than up. Load times were insane.

Training contradicted itself on scores and instructions. Instructions for how to use the program and site were out of date. Had to clear the cache as often as every single question. Time sheets are broken. Reports are broken. Truly a nightmare on the tech side.

The HR employees were nice, when I could reach them. Helpless, but nice.

Advice to Management

I have zero clue what you could do to suck less.

The Scoring System is seriously flawed - it's also discriminatory.

Current Employee - Professional Scorer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Professional Scorer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at NCS Pearson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you're smart, dedicated and hold a degree - Pearson will underpay you to score from home (their hourly rates vary for projects worked from home or in the center), but if you perform very well, they'll fire you without warning (depending on how many idiots are working on the Supervision side of things). Their main goal is to resist full-time hours and they'll screw with your head as well as your schedule. They will also feed your batch a slew of validity responses for which you don't get any credit, even if your rate and validity percentage is excellent and hovering around 90% (and even if you score 10 validity responses accurately in a row). It feels like a solid black workforce.

Cons

They don't provide a fair operating system. You are not allowed to know how many responses you have scored on an hourly or daily basis - the statistics (which you must trust them to accurately calculate) aren't provided until the next day. There's no way of knowing what type of performance pay you will receive. In other words, Pearson isn't intelligent. Furthermore, the emails they send you exaggerate the hours you have worked, which are inflated from the Welcome window statistics, and those figures are also inflated from the Performance Review figures, which aren't precisely accurate. Blacks are permitted to score like machine gun operators, 100-150 responses per hour and receive overtime, but whites with more realistic hourly rates demonstrating accuracy are shut out of the system for working too many hours, long before they even reach 40 hours. This is Texas, I'm talking about. They do not automatically shut down the system after reaching 10 hours in one session or 40 hours in one week, they do all this arbitrarily. They also shut you out of the system so your Performance Review isn't available to you, if you score more than 10 hours (even if you score perfectly accurately) and they won't resolve the issue without bothering you severely or messing up your schedule. They claim to have sent "warnings" before doing such things - in the same email that informs you that you're shut out - without having done so, not even once. They do not appreciate anything but how cheap they feel like being, the pay isn't enough for the work, and they aren't the slightest bit professional. The actual ePEN system is very cheap and flawed. I'm a veteran scorer of 5 years, this isn't my first project. Every year I feel picked on, but this year they've really showed me what creeps they are. I haven't worked a 40-hour week yet, but they've already shut me out - and they owe me approximately $1100, and they haven't even paid me yet. They hold all the cards, and with those they choose to discriminate and baffle hard workers with inaccurate statistics - just because they're overly cheap and unprofessional. Not only that, but the test items are highly questionable, as is the scoring rubric in certain instances, and it's blatantly obvious that the system isn't designed to maximum benefit, efficiency and accuracy. It's all about letting black kids pass, sometimes. They don't seem to have anything for the idea of "respect" - not in the responses, the rubric, the test item, they way that they treat the more professional scorers, not in any way. One must simply endure and trust a dishonest company to hopefully eventually provide compensation, even with time sheet auto-population issues and inaccurate timing statistics. They don't apologize, either. They just make you suffer for no reason. They aren't fair and it's obviously BAD and WRONG.

Advice to Management

It would be unprofessional to provide Pearson with any advice.

Assessment Specialist

I have been working at NCS Pearson

Pros

Smart colleagues
    Good benefits
    Company working to improve

Cons

Experience very dependent on management and project --- can range from very good to bad in terms of teams and effectiveness. Salaries not always competitive.

6. Great company to work for.

I have been working at NCS Pearson

Pros

This is the best place to work in IC area

Cons

No FT positions for people seeking to convert from Contractor position

Worst company to work for

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Centennial, CO

I worked at NCS Pearson

Pros

Flexible work schedule
    Be a contractor so you can get the job done

Cons

Too much flexibility - so there is no accountability
    Stupidity of following any new technical things that comes up - so nothing to deliver
    Horrible open offices
    worst projects are DAALT - be careful about this team or another stupid research team - they produce nothing and led by horrible inefficient managers

Advice to Management

Stop promoting idiots to chief architects.
    Promote accountability in projects and ensure right candidates gets promoted not just someone who speaks a lot.

Associate SQE

I have been working at NCS Pearson

Pros

Lots of flexibility for work from home

Cons

No work, no proper guidance regarding what we are working on, lots of inhouse complex tools, lots of politics going around,
    No good compensation

9. Great place to work

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at NCS Pearson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and plenty of opportunities to grow including overseas.

Cons

Big company.
    Great benefits.
    Many opportunities within the company in state and abroad

Great for seasonal work

Current Employee - Supervisor/Scorer in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Supervisor/Scorer in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at NCS Pearson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can make great money if fast and acurate

Cons

Only seasonal and dependent on Dept of Ed.

11. Great Company

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at NCS Pearson

Pros

Best Benefits, PTO, Medical, Great People

Cons

Managers are less talented
    No internal opening