NCSA Reviews

Reset
3.7
NCSA President and COO Lisa Strasman
Lisa Strasman

Pros
  • The ability to work from home if you bust your tale for 6-12 months working in the 'scout' position (in 7 reviews)

• Great benefits that include medical, wellness, dental, vision, relaxed dress code, 401 K (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance is non existent (in 16 reviews)

• sales goals are beyond unrealistic (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great place to work in sports and change lives on a daily basis

Current Employee - Sales Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA

Pros

Culture! Benefits. Implemented (fairly) new compensation structure for Scouting Force that drives performance and rewards what really matters - quality engagements with families! Working with athletic-minded individuals who share the same passion for helping student-athletes. As our Sales Recruiter, I often get asked why I love working for NCSA, and I tell everyone the same answer - there aren't many companies out there where their employees can say they are changing lives on a daily basis. Being passionate about our mission and working with great people is a great reason to come to work every day.

Cons

Working at a consistently growing and evolving company can be a challenge for some who prefer companies that are more established. NCSA is one of the fastest growing companies in Chicago, and with that brings new and exciting growth opportunities and the chance and need for all of our employees to step up to keep up with our rapid growth. If this excites you, then you might be a good fit for NCSA!

May 7, 2015 – Content Strategist

It is great to hear you’ve been able to combine a love for sports and giving back through working with families at NCSA – and we are so happy to have you on the team. We're excited to keep growing ... More

Growing Company with Soaring Culture

I have been working at NCSA full-time

Pros

Culture, the people and core values! Our culture throughout the company and by department has been a big focus which leads to quality engagements for families and coaches. The team members you work with, all athletically minded people, care about one another and have your back in tough situations.

Cons

With the company growing at a fast pace, there can be more challenges associated with different aspects of the company than a more established one would have.

Awesome Work Place Environment!

I have been working at NCSA

Pros

Great work support system and co-workers are always willing to help. A lot of workplace events.

Cons

Sometimes its hard to gauge where the company is going and where you stand in the grand scheme of things. Moving up the ladder is difficult.

Dynamic growing company

Current Employee - Head Scout in Murfreesboro, TN
    Current Employee - Head Scout in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at NCSA

Pros

I've been working since 1970 and have my MBA from Northwestern U, the #1 business school in the world. I've never been more proud of any organization that I've ever been a part of. I've also been a part of 2 other organizations who are rated #1 in their industry. All are fine organizations. This is the best one I've ever worked for. Among the reasons why: 1) Great support for their employees in training. 2) Fast changing adaptation to market changes. 3) Innovative, technology based solutions that lead change. 4) Compensation that continues to increase as productivity warrants.

Cons

If you don't like constant, positive, change and prefer "security" over "opportunity", don't apply to NCSA. If you don't like speaking with people and listening to their unique concerns, don't apply.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees as you have and evolving into a bigger, stronger, entity. Keep maintaining the championship culture that has led our growth from 2 people at the start to over 470 dedicated professionals now.

Young, Evolving Company with PASSION

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Get to empower young people both internally and externally with a young work force and helping high school student athletes - Team comes FIRST - Constantly evolving in order to make everyone's role easier and help more people - Senior leadership is very transparent and is committed to company growth - Culture can be contagious thanks to a group dedicated to keeping it fresh - The Give Back is a constant talking piece from Founder down through entry-level employees - Great benefits including wellness reimbursement

Cons

- Current workplace is more dated and has it's challenges but this is changing so also a PRO - Room for more alignment between sales and service sides of the business - Could be more proactively involved in the community with the size of the company and amount of young people in such a large city

Advice to Management

Continue to trust that the people that are on the bus now will provide a world class experience to every student athlete and family that comes across the brand. This has been accomplished by the most transparency, best compensation, and improved culture the company has seen in its 15 years.

Awesome Company With Integrity

Current Employee - Head Scout
    Current Employee - Head Scout

I have been working at NCSA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to help student athletes realize their dreams of playing in college. The testimonials and stories we get to hear from families who's lives have been completely changed because of what we do is some of the most rewarding work in the world. To know that I have a role in helping someone get to the college of their dreams and play the sport they love, there is nothing like it. On top of that, every person who I have interacted with in our company truly cares about their fellow teammates (co-workers) and especially about each family we get the privilege to engage with.

Cons

Having to deal with families who are mis-informed or take advice from people who are out of date with information on the recruiting process. It is very frustrating when you want to help a student athlete or family and you know they need our help but they take advice from a review online from a family who didnt utilize their program like they should have and blamed the company or didnt go in to the process with realistic expectations or take advice from a high school coach/AD who has limited knowledge of how involved recruiting is.

Advice to Management

The new work life balance initiative is awesome, the compensation is great, and the drive to continue to always get better is encouraging. Management is always open to new ideas to improve and always listens.

Jul 23, 2015 – Content Strategist

Thank you for taking the time to leave such positive and constructive feedback regarding your current role at NCSA. A team first culture is the heart of our core values playbook, and it’s wonderful ... More

If like being paid well and want to make a real difference this is the place

Current Employee - Head Football Scout
    Current Employee - Head Football Scout

I have been working at NCSA full-time

Pros

Changing lives daily, work from home, very solid compensation

Cons

work life balance which they are doing their best to address

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. This is the only company I have ever worked for that you can go to the executives meaning CEO, President, Executive VP, or any other VP and give constructive criticism and get a completely transparent and honest "why they are doing what they are doing response".

Great Company & Great People

Former Employee - Football Scout
    Former Employee - Football Scout

I worked at NCSA

Pros

Although my time at NCSA has been short lived, I want to express my sincere affection for this company and everything we stand for. I went through a recruiting service in high school that took my family’s money willingly, but did not follow through on their end of the deal in terms of my exposure and help finding the best academic and athletic fit. When I first came across NCSA, I figured; “here is another recruiting service that does not care about the well-being of student athletes, and (probably) jumps at the opportunity to take money from unsuspecting families. I was dead wrong. I did extensive research prior to applying for this job, and attacked the opportunity I had in front of me. I have played college football and baseball, coached at the high school level for 5 years in California and Tennessee, have developed many relationships with high school and college coaches alike, and can say with the upmost confidence that the culture at NCSA is as great as any team I’ve been a part of. The relationships I got to witness and develop, even working from home, are something that I know are extremely rare in any company, team, or workplace.

Cons

Don't get me wrong, it is a sales job, but if you do the job the correct way, and are genuine in wanting to help families, it does not feel like sales.

Jul 23, 2015 – Content Strategist

Thank you very much for the time and thought put into posting this review. Being a relatively young company, it’s funny how many times we hear, “I wish NCSA was around when I was going to college ... More

Best Job I've Ever Had

I have been working at NCSA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At NCSA I get to put my sales, sports and business background to use on a daily basis. Talking to families about a product that can literally change the course of their life is incredible. Great mission and team, and excellent support system within. Amazing culture.

Cons

There can be pressure to hit goals, although I know this is typical for sales positions.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. NCSA seems to be headed in a very positive direction.

Jul 13, 2015 – Content Strategist

Taking the time to share such positive feedback is not just appreciated. It is a true mark of the kind of teammate you are. It sounds like you’ve found a way to combine areas of personal strength and ... More

Negatives outweigh the positives

Current Employee - Head Scout in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Head Scout in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in Sports, Changing young student athletes lives, and working from home.

Cons

24/7 monitoring, managers tapping into your calls, change how you get paid every year (less $$ each year), and Zero career path.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees especially one's that have been successful for over a year. Pay them accordingly, don't decrease everyone's pay each year.

Jul 13, 2015 – Content Strategist

Thank you for sharing this constructive feedback. I realize how challenging parts of Head Scouting can be, but as you wrote, I hope that the ability to change young student-athletes' lives makes it ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed