NCSA Reviews

Updated April 22, 2015
86 reviews filtered by
3.5
Chris Krause

Pros
  • I get to work from home in a location of my choosing (in 7 reviews)

• Great benefits that include medical, wellness, dental, vision, relaxed dress code, 401 K (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be challenging at times but there is no such thing as an easy sales job (in 16 reviews)

• Scouts/Head Scouts are expected to work 7 days a week regardless of where you are with your sales goals (in 13 reviews)

1. Great place to work in sports and change lives on a daily basis

Current Employee - Sales Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA

Pros

Culture!
    Benefits.
    Implemented (fairly) new compensation structure for Scouting Force that drives performance and rewards what really matters - quality engagements with families!
    Working with athletic-minded individuals who share the same passion for helping student-athletes.
    As our Sales Recruiter, I often get asked why I love working for NCSA, and I tell everyone the same answer - there aren't many companies out there where their employees can say they are changing lives on a daily basis. Being passionate about our mission and working with great people is a great reason to come to work every day.

Cons

Working at a consistently growing and evolving company can be a challenge for some who prefer companies that are more established. NCSA is one of the fastest growing companies in Chicago, and with that brings new and exciting growth opportunities and the chance and need for all of our employees to step up to keep up with our rapid growth. If this excites you, then you might be a good fit for NCSA!

2. Great Place to Work,

Current Employee - Head Scout- Talk Sports and Earn A Great Income in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Help Families with the recruiting process who would normally have no idea what to do
    -Work in sales and get to talk sports all day long while earning a great income
    -family environment
    -executive team who truly wants to see everyone succeed

Cons

I have been here 6 years and working here has changed my life for the better. I have nothing bad to say.

Advice to Management

Keep doing everything you are doing. Keep listening to the employees as you have been doing.

3. Head Scout- Read through all reviews as you can clearly see that they have been written by current employees

Former Employee - Head Scout in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Head Scout in Chicago, IL

I worked at NCSA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is the possibility of helping out families, that said you are placed in a position to have these families feel as if they have to do this or their son/daughter will be forever lost in this experience.

Cons

I write this after over a year of not being at NCSA solely to be a voice for those families that have reached out to me with major concerns.

First- I "scouted" for over three years with NCSA, When I was first brought on board it was a great platform to place the RIGHT high school kids in front of right college programs. They had good relationships with the college coaches and that was because they weren't flooding their inboxes with kids that didn't fit. The current platform has moved to a revenue based sales process. They are solely out to get families money. I use the examples that they would have us take on seniors that have never played varsity along with kids that weren't up to viable size standards placed by NCSA.

I continue to this day to receive about a call a week on my personal cell phone from families that are more than disgruntled with customer service issues, the way that they are treated by recruiting coaches along with other families experiences on the phone.

Please do not blame a head scout for what they do. This is the direct placement of verbiage from upper management. Each head scout has a very lofty goal which they are reprimanded if they do not make. The scouting coordinators that a family speaks with directly are on a "smile and dial" mindset. They can be placing upwards toward 100 calls a day trying to get a parent on the phone that has no real clue about the scouting/recruiting process just to dupe them into any membership.
    There is no real difference in the memberships when it comes to the value. I have had parents pissed they went with the Pro match just to find out they would have had the exact same experience with the basic membership. Ncsa doesn't produce a top of the line video, you have to do all the work all they do is cut and paste.

There needs to be a different outlook to have this company sustain and be a real platform for kids to succeed from.

Advice to Management

Get your act together. You preach athleadership but you don't follow your core values. Don't say that you have an open door policy, each and every one of your employees is scared to talk to any upper management. I know a number of employees that spoke up with a great idea only to be fired within a few weeks for no real reason. CK needs to not put his foot in that office as he is the most out of touch one of the bunch. I at this point will continue to steer families away from this experience until further resolution is obtained. I am currently a coach and cant stand behind NCSA one bit with their unethical business practices.

Do the right thing for the families first...then worry about your paychecks.

NCSA Response

Apr 24, 2015Content Strategist

Thank you for taking the time to share the pros and cons you experienced at NCSA. We are constantly growing and evolving as a company, and we genuinely appreciate your feedback. We also have great ... More

5. Great place to Work. Has a great staff that really wants to see every individual employee succeed.

I worked at NCSA

Pros

- communicate with great families
    - helpful staff
    - moving up is easier
    - Flexible hours
    - family environment

Cons

I have no compliments about working here.

6. Great organization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team-based organization, great mission, fun company to work for, flexible, etc.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind for cons

Advice to Management

N/A

7. It was definitely comparable working here

I worked at NCSA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The money was good and comp

Cons

Hours are tough family life

Advice to Management

Do a good job of managing time

Eye opener

I worked at NCSA

Pros

Great way to meet friends but you meet friends anywhere you work.

Cons

Upper management is very disengaged to how much work employees actually do. Alot of people taken for granted and aren't being compensated correctly. It could be great if they took care of the people doing great work.

NCSA Response

Apr 15, 2015Sales Recruiter

Thank you for your honest feedback. This is very disheartening to hear as I’m sure everyone on our Management and Athleadership teams takes their leadership roles very seriously and are always ... More

9. Positive Internship Experience

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at NCSA as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome company culture and values
    Trust interns with responsibility
    Everybody treated as an equal team member
    Partner events are a blast
    Leaders share accomplishments and give praise at meetings

Cons

Short internship
    Static duties
    Not many local events for partner programs interns

Advice to Management

Offer to move interns around
    Have interns set own measurable goals
    Feedback would be helpful for improving during the internship

10. I have enjoyed working with NCSA, it is a positive work environment

Current Employee - Head Scout
    Current Employee - Head Scout

I have been working at NCSA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is beyond competitive for Head Scouts and the company culture is amazing! People really do enjoy coming in to the office every day

Cons

Lack of work/life balance at times. They do expect quite a bit from their scouts and head scouts and at times ask people to work 6-7 days a week.

Advice to Management

continue to find a way to increase work/life balance

11. Awesome Mission, Improving Team!

Current Employee - Scout in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Scout in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Finally a company with a mission you can get behind! Great place to work, lots of wonderful life-changing stories with clients. Matching 401K! People are awesome, fun culture, all sports all the time, definitely a bunch of really dedicated people!

Cons

Lots of change due to tremendous growth, but always for the positive in the end. Executives definitely want the best for their people and have everyone's best interest in mind but definitely not easy to manage all of the growth.

Advice to Management

Keep striving to get better!