NCSA

Updated January 23, 2015
Updated January 23, 2015
3.3

Chris Krause

Pros
  • I get to work from home in a location of my choosing (in 7 reviews)

• Great benefits that include medical, wellness, dental, vision, relaxed dress code, 401 K (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be challenging at times but there is no such thing as an easy sales job (in 16 reviews)

• Scouts/Head Scouts are expected to work 7 days a week regardless of where you are with your sales goals (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Great organization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Team-based organization, great mission, fun company to work for, flexible, etc.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind for cons

N/A

It was definitely comparable working here

I worked at NCSA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The money was good and comp

Cons

Hours are tough family life

Do a good job of managing time

Eye opener

I worked at NCSA

Pros

Great way to meet friends but you meet friends anywhere you work.

Cons

Upper management is very disengaged to how much work employees actually do. Alot of people taken for granted and aren't being compensated correctly. It could be great if they took care of the people doing great work.

Positive Internship Experience

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at NCSA as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Awesome company culture and values
    Trust interns with responsibility
    Everybody treated as an equal team member
    Partner events are a blast
    Leaders share accomplishments and give praise at meetings

Cons

Short internship
    Static duties
    Not many local events for partner programs interns

Offer to move interns around
    Have interns set own measurable goals
    Feedback would be helpful for improving during the internship

Departments vary wildly in compensation and focus

Former Employee - Recruiting Coach in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Recruiting Coach in Chicago, IL

I worked at NCSA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lively, vibrant environment with like-minded people

Cons

Focus and priority is put on sales (acquiring of new clients), customer support (servicing current clients) has a much lesser amount of attention. The result is a high frequency of calls with dissatisfied families and no action from the administration to alter the cycle.

Every call, email, computer choice is tracked and charted. The goal is to increase competition and productivity, but the result is unhappy workers as the customer support staff is not incentivized as the sales staff is.

I have enjoyed working with NCSA, it is a positive work environment

Current Employee - Head Scout
    Current Employee - Head Scout

I have been working at NCSA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is beyond competitive for Head Scouts and the company culture is amazing! People really do enjoy coming in to the office every day

Cons

Lack of work/life balance at times. They do expect quite a bit from their scouts and head scouts and at times ask people to work 6-7 days a week.

continue to find a way to increase work/life balance

Rewarding company to those who are talented and driven

Current Employee - Vice President of Product in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Vice President of Product in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people are great, good benefits and 401k, growing company with an awesome mission. Huge growth potential. Homegrown talent, opportunity to work your way up. Rewards high achievers. The only place I know with almost 100% former athletes on staff.

Cons

A lot of change, so you need to expect that. It's a growing company and therefore encounters growing pains often. There is somewhat of a negative stigma around recruiting services which makes the sales job tough, but the company really is in it for the benefit of the families/athletes.

Focus on the long game, not the short game.

Awesome Mission, Improving Team!

Current Employee - Scout in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Scout in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NCSA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Finally a company with a mission you can get behind! Great place to work, lots of wonderful life-changing stories with clients. Matching 401K! People are awesome, fun culture, all sports all the time, definitely a bunch of really dedicated people!

Cons

Lots of change due to tremendous growth, but always for the positive in the end. Executives definitely want the best for their people and have everyone's best interest in mind but definitely not easy to manage all of the growth.

Keep striving to get better!

Jump-started my career

Current Employee - Head Scout and Former Scout Coordinator
    Current Employee - Head Scout and Former Scout Coordinator

I have been working at NCSA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The ability to work from home if you bust your tale for 6-12 months working in the 'scout' position. Mostly good and some really great people to work with. The reward of teenagers calling you back thanking you for helping them play college sports and positioning them to possibly receive scholarship money.

Full benefits, uncapped earnings, and the flexibility to live anywhere in the country.

Cons

This is not a place to show and collect a paycheck, they EXPECT you to work. Work life balance can be challenging at times but there is no such thing as an easy sales job.

Keep yours eyes on the big picture, helping high school athletes.

Great Experience, Great People, an Awesome place to work

Former Employee - Scout in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Scout in Chicago, IL

I worked at NCSA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

NCSA has an awesome culture surrounding their offices. I enjoyed heading into the offices to not only talk high school sports day in and day out, but doing it surrounded by other like-minded individuals. The families that you speak with on a daily basis make everything. For every tough, unrealistic parent, there is a family right behind them that knows they truly need some help and are truly thankful for the time that we take with them (even if we cant help their student athlete at that time).

Cons

You need to put in your time. When I first started, there was no chance of me ever making very much money. Had I come in now, things would have been much different. However, with an ever changing, young company, expect changes, often. I think there were 3 or 4 major changes that took place over the 13 or 14 months I worked there. Most of it, however, was for the positive.

My only other major con is unless you are ready to make the lifestyle choice of moving into a head scout position (coming from a scout, its different if you end up on the marketing/business relations side), there isnt a whole lot of growth. Head scouts have a great job and can make a lot of money deign what they do, but the schedule is tedious. Its not bad, just like I said, a lifestyle choice. One that I wasn't willing to make.

No more flavor of the week type goals (Meeting set this week, AMs next week, activations the week after. A scout is only as good as the names he has in front of him. Some days aren't as good as others. A lot of us felt pressure to get to that daily threshold without looking at the meetings we were setting for the head scouts. Focus on one thing (AMs most likely) and figure out the best way to increase the percentage of families that show, rather than more meetings in the calendar.