NCU (Northcentral University) Reviews

3.1
George Burnett

1. Enrollment Advisor

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

This is a tremendous place to work. Low pressure with great resources to help you get better. The inbound calls and leads are fresh. It is a very fun place to work every day.

Cons

I have none at this time.

Advice to Management

Please try to think through decisions before you pull the trigger.

2. NCU is... A Disappointment.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at NCU (Northcentral University) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I can truthfully say that academic leadership (along with a select few members of operations leadership) at Northcentral University cares about its students, faculty and team members. From an academic standpoint, the University has grown exponentially over the last few years and those that have led NCU through this growth deserve the highest praise. Throughout my tenure, I had the great fortune of working with a few of these leaders, whose advice and guidance I will be forever grateful for. Thanks in no small part to these select few, I was fortunate enough to have enhanced my career at NCU.

Cons

Unfortunately, what began as the opportunity for personal and professional growth turned in to discouragement, frustration and disappointment. And what was formerly a self-motivated and dedicated team of individuals has deteriorated in to a shell of the team I once knew - both literally and figuratively. Personally, I experienced a tripling of my workload due to the departure (both voluntary and involuntary) of and refusal to backfill almost 50% of the team I joined just 2.5 years prior, within a matter of months. It was not just myself that shouldered the burden of this reduction in workforce, and as one can imagine this has led to a morale free-fall, an irreparable lack of trust in leadership, and an overall sense of urgency to depart before the chopping block forces you to do so. It saddens me to have to say it, but the students, alumni, faculty, and University as a whole will all soon suffer for this new leadership's self-centered managerial style.

Advice to Management

A "premier" university needs premier employees to support its Mission, Vision and Values. You're forcing us all out.

3. Sales

Former Employee - International Online Admissions Representative in Chandler, AZ

I worked at NCU (Northcentral University) (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun place lots of people just hanging around. They feel and say they are all a family HR is very much company focus not employee oriented.

Cons

They do not practice what they preach, specially HR, managers are pretty much a good old boys club.

5. Great people, Not so great pay

I worked at NCU (Northcentral University) full-time

Pros

Full benefits, including 401K match (they finally added a match last year) paid time off is generous. They people are friendly and the work environment is very relaxed. They like to have fun! Generous education benefit as well!

Cons

Sometimes the work environment is unprofessional, they could accomplish more and they would make more money if there wasn't so much play going on. The culture is very much - work some, play hard. Everyone would make more money if it was work hard, play some.

Advice to Management

Caring about your culture is important but caring about profits should be more important. Your teams will only work as hard and be as professional as you care for them to be. Shouldn't we all expect a little more? Stop trying to be friends with everyone - let people worry about that for themselves, instead please try to accomplish a little more strategic planning and ideas for growth. Your teams will thank you for it when they get better pay and better benefits for their families.

6. NCU is the best place I've worked

Current Employee - Student Records in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Student Records in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at NCU (Northcentral University) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I came from a company that did not have the benefits this place does. They truly try to keep morale up and many of the staff have been there for awhile. A lot of individuals enjoy working for ncu. They have a 401k match (isn't huge but still nice) Snack cart Wednesdays Food trucks are scheduled twice a week Team builders Two ncu teams dedicated for volunteer service and ncu events

Cons

Sometimes the processes change suddenly

Advice to Management

None

7. Hollow, Deceitful, Sales Focused

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at NCU (Northcentral University) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice break room, low call volume, opportunities to volunteer. Opportunity to pursue education, Training, benefits are somewhat acceptable, pay is mediocre.

Cons

They pitch a non sales focused environment, but they are all about applications for enrollment. Very clique oriented, you have to get in with the cool kids otherwise you're on the outside looking in. Turnover plant. All they want is a warm body to make phone calls. This place could very well be operated by robo calls.

Advice to Management

Change lower management, operate with integrity. Stop deceiving possible employees.

8. Adjunct Faculty

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Prescott, AZ
    Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Prescott, AZ

Pros

Great culture! True professional faculty members who really want learners to succeed.

Cons

Some disorganization after they were purchased in 2011. Seem to have come back into alignment.

Advice to Management

Hire MBA/CAGS for adjunct if they have qualifying industry experience rather than focusing on DBA/PhD with no real world experience.

Influence in company's welfare is independent of hierarchy

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at NCU (Northcentral University) (More than a year)

Pros

More modern culture: - Influence is independent of hierarchy where before influence was based on hierarchy command and control - Not obsessed over competitors but rather over customers.

Cons

- Low compensation - Under budgeted projects - Not recognizing (yet) that results matter more than where you produce them.

10. Great people, nice place to work

Pros

The people are great! Its a fun place to work and NCU does cool things that many companies quit doing years ago - i.e. holiday party, spring picnic, ice cream trucks, TVs everywhere, pool and ping pong table and more. Don't get me wrong, you have to work hard and perform but that's not hard to do when you enjoy the people you work with. The office space is nice. There is a mini-convenience store in the break room. Free education if you want to take advantage of it. PTO plan is good.

Cons

The benefits could be better but not the worst I've seen. Things change often.

Advice to Management

More recognition communication about changes would be nice.

cfo is a judgemental, one dimensional idiot

Current Employee - Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

there are not many things you could say positive about this environment. The people in the education side are arrogant and stupid and the CFO only knows narrow aspect... No managerial experience either.

Cons

I've never seen more arrogant fools on the education side of my life. They are not very knowledgeable about business and the female cfo has a very limited skill set.

Advice to Management

Get rid of cfo. she is completely useless. very judgmental person. Also stop with the closed door meetings all the time. the culture at the company is one of exclusion. Terrible place

RSS Feed </> Embed